PDA

View Full Version : Rust hunting: two small new additions

Frederick Skelly
07-30-2015, 1:05 PM
Stopped in a little antique shop. Found a booth full of tools!

I've been wanting a small bull nose and he had one I haven't seen before - Millers Falls #4. It's about 4" long. Inside it's stamped "375". I haven't been able to date it - I'm guessing 1940s - but it's in excellent condition. I gave him $15.

Also found a box full of molding planes for $15 each. I picked out a 1 3/4" wide wooden rabbett plane in excellent condition. Looks to be factory made but it has no maker's mark, etc so I don't have a clue how old it is. But it's flat and straight and Im thinking the iron alone is worth more than the $15 I paid for it.

They also had a Disston dovetail saw. Tempted to go back and buy that one.

Neither of the two I bought was a steal, but the prices were fair.

Fred

Archie England
07-30-2015, 2:49 PM
Great to hear you had success!

Michael Ray Smith
07-30-2015, 7:18 PM
I've been wanting a small bull nose and he had one I haven't seen before - Millers Falls #4.

Fred

And you couldn't pass up a Millers Falls! I know, I know.

Frederick Skelly
07-30-2015, 10:05 PM
And you couldn't pass up a Millers Falls! I know, I know.

Yeah. When I saw it was MF, I had to have it. Right tool, nice size, right brand. :) I didnt even dicker.

Jim Koepke
07-30-2015, 11:20 PM
Sounds like fun. Any chance of pictures?

I am curios about the rabbet plane. Is the blade skewed?

A lot of my wooden planes have no makers mark. It doesn't seem to detract from their usefulness.

jtk

Frederick Skelly
07-31-2015, 5:38 AM
Hi Jim!

I don't have a way to upload pics right now. I'm sorry. But it looks exactly like the one shown at www millersfallsplanes.com/millers-falls-number-4-01-bull-nose-block-plane

Reading over that site, it looks like this was an inexpensive but useful tool in their line up. (They made them for many years, so they must have sold a few.) It seems like a solid little tool and it cuts just fine. I really like the size. It does get a bit of chatter - that could be because the blade is only 1/16" thick (though it is well-bedded all the way to the sole) or it might be that I haven't sharpened it yet. In fact, looking at it, the blade seems to be full length. I'm guessing it hasn't been sharpened more than a couple times. (I guess that could bode ill, but I think not.)

I agree with you - I think the woodie is going to be just fine name or no-name. I can't wait to sharpen it up and use it. Right now the wedge is a bit tight and is sticking. I'm going to let it sit and acclimate before I work it loose. That plane is about 8-9" long and has a skewed blade. (I hate sharpening skews, even with my Veritas guide, but that's life.) Looks like she'll be a good user.

Anyway, it's just neat to find some stuff like this. I haven't had much luck since I found that #2 for $14 last year.

Fred

Jim Koepke
07-31-2015, 12:13 PM
I haven't had much luck since I found that #2 for $14 last year.

All the "You Suck" comments and thoughts on the #2 find likely sucked all your luck away for a while.

Luck seems to come in batches. That's the nature of luck.

jtk

Frederick Skelly
08-07-2015, 8:50 AM
I just removed the iron from the rabbett plane. It's stamped "Humphreysville Manufacturing Company, Warranted Cast Steel".

Did a quick google on that company and the references say this was a company in Connecticut that made bladed tools from about 1850 - 1900 or so. Humphreysville was later renamed "Seymour". Anyone know more about them?

Regardless, it's just cool as heck to use a tool that's been around more than 100 years. I don't know why, but I just really enjoy that.

Fred