PDA

View Full Version : Source for quarter sawn white pine?

Don Bursch
07-30-2015, 11:48 AM
a recent article in FWW recommends quarter sawn white pine for a shaker lap desk due to reduced wood shrinkage/expansion. Bit I cannot find a source for this anywhere in Nashville, TN area or online. Any suggestions?

Mel Fulks
07-30-2015, 12:47 PM
I haven't seen white pine picked out and sold as quarter sawn. In commercial work getting it would mean just looking through the pile. The material you get most likely be kiln dried,I don't think movement is going to be a problem. Welcome to the forum.

Kent A Bathurst
07-30-2015, 6:20 PM
Don -

You might get a better result if, instead of quartersawn, you search for vertical grain.

Different term for the same critter..................

Don Bursch
08-04-2015, 1:32 PM
Don -

You might get a better result if, instead of quartersawn, you search for vertical grain.

Different term for the same critter..................

Thanks, that helps

Cody Colston
08-06-2015, 5:26 PM
If you can find a source at all for White Pine, you should be able to find some QS stock mixed in with it. Every flat-sawn log will yield some QS stock near the log center although you may have to rip it off the sides of the board to get rid of the pith.

I was also interested in building the Becksvoort lap desk for LOML but intended to use good old SYP instead of White Pine. If QS and properly dried, I don't think movement would be an issue.