PDA

View Full Version : Furniture shipping

Daniel Hartmann
07-30-2015, 9:09 AM
can anyone recommend a cross country shipping company that can handle large furniture items like a kitchen table?

Prashun Patel
07-30-2015, 9:25 AM
I will tell you that you get what you pay for. If you don't pay a lot, then you take your chances. We ship freight with most major carriers and have had issues with all from time to time.

I will also say that the WORST *for us* by far is Fed Ex Freight (in terms of damages and failure to make good in a timely fashion on insurance).

The critical thing is packing/crating.

Are you the shipper or receiver?

Robert LaPlaca
07-30-2015, 11:08 AM
I have used Craters and Freighters twice, both instances they picked up the furniture, crated it and delivered into the interior of the destination.. The item both times arrived safe with no issues.. The service is not inexpensive, but so far with the small sample size, have been happy with their service..

Lee Schierer
07-30-2015, 12:06 PM
I shipped a dresser I made from Erie, PA to Tucson, AZ a number of years ago using a common freight carrier. I built my own crate that completely encased the dresser and also had the dresser wrapped in plastic and padded with microfoam. The shipping container was 1/2" plywood screwed into reinforcing at the corners. The base was 2 x 4 lumber made so that it could be handled by a forklift or pallet jack. The dresser was attached to the pallet. I delivered it to the shipping company and paid for lift gate delivery on the other end. It arrived in perfect condition.

Daniel Hartmann
07-30-2015, 1:30 PM
I am the shipper. The table hasn't been built yet. But my client wants me to quote shipping now.

jerry cousins
07-30-2015, 2:00 PM
i just shipped a cabinet from california to canada using fedex. i built the crate -3/8 ply with reinforced corners - wrapped the piece in several layers of bubble wrap and crammed styro peanuts in where i could - overall dimension was 20" x 20" x 40". seems that the cost was more about the size rather than the weight. it arrived on time & no damage.
jerry

Mark Blatter
07-30-2015, 3:03 PM
I am the shipper. The table hasn't been built yet. But my client wants me to quote shipping now.

I would be very careful quoting shipping now unless you will be shipping soon. Rates can change dramatically depending on the time of year. We are heading into one of the most expensive times as shipping for holiday seasons will start in a month or two. I would give them an estimate now, but don't get locked in at this point. I have found the best way to handle this is to tell them that you will charge them the exact cost of the shipping as a simple pass thru, plus whatever amount you need for crating. On crating, absolutely make sure you have the bottom be accessible with a forklift. If it cannot be forked your chances for damage and delays increase significantly.

As said prior, you mostly get what you pay for, though I have found independent LTL carriers that were on the low end, but gave great service. A great deal of it is luck. I would start with which ever company has a terminal near you.

roger wiegand
07-30-2015, 3:48 PM
I had a nightmare experience with the Craters and Freighters in Boston, and have been very happy with FedEx freight. It probably really is something of a crapshoot. You can't control much what happens in transit and on the far end, but it helps to meet, know, and trust the folks on the pickup side.

Randy Red Bemont
07-30-2015, 3:54 PM
Look into using a moving company. Your table can be added to a long distance move. I used to do this with my furniture and have shipped all across the country back in the 90's. Good luck.

Red

Bill Ryall
07-30-2015, 6:47 PM
+1 for a moving company. I have done a couple pieces this way. They are used to handling furniture and getting it in and out of buildings.

John T Barker
07-30-2015, 11:28 PM
I worked for an outfit that built some furniture for some DuPonts and it needed to go to their Florida home (from Pa.). They knew a guy that regulary made the trip and hauled for people needing this kind of service. Word of mouth sort of thing but can be valuable.

Side note- Any one have issues with plastic reacting with the finish? Not sure if it was a reaction or something to do with heat by wrapped padding but I've seen finishes marred when unwrapped.