PDA

View Full Version : Lasering Bamboo

Glenn Norton
07-29-2015, 2:20 PM
Have a client wanting to laser engrave bamboo boards. I'm not sure abut doing this material so I wondered what needs to be done with this material. The logo is about 5.5"l x 1.5" t, simple b&w.

Just looking for expert help.

Chuck Stone
07-29-2015, 2:47 PM
Nothing really special about it, but you run it a little slower than other woods
to get a dark burn. Bamboo boards are often oiled and than darkens the wood
(or grass) so that the mark doesn't stand out quite as much. Moving slower will
help get a darker mark so it is easier to see.

Since bamboo is usually laminated strips that can have varying color, don't be
surprised to see variations in the depth and color. If that's a concern, you might
mask first, engrave, spray clear, let it dry and then spray black or brown.

Ross Moshinsky
07-29-2015, 3:06 PM
Nothing really special about it, but you run it a little slower than other woods
to get a dark burn. Bamboo boards are often oiled and than darkens the wood
(or grass) so that the mark doesn't stand out quite as much. Moving slower will
help get a darker mark so it is easier to see.

Since bamboo is usually laminated strips that can have varying color, don't be
surprised to see variations in the depth and color. If that's a concern, you might
mask first, engrave, spray clear, let it dry and then spray black or brown.

Very much the case. If you don't want to slow down or add power, you can also take the laser out of focus. This will increase the beam width which will allow a darker burn with less depth.

Glenn Norton
07-29-2015, 4:34 PM
Thank you for the advice. Just really learning what I can do even with this poor old machine.

Bill George
07-29-2015, 7:25 PM
I did a bamboo cutting board last Christmas for a customer, hardest thing I have ever done.

walter hofmann
07-30-2015, 2:46 PM
maybe this helps
I am using the scrap pieces from the flooring installer of bamboo I get them for free and the good part is that the surface is already sealed.

they give318609318610 it for free. I cut the tong and grove of on the table saw and finish them with 2 poly clear coats. here a some sample if you need more help send me a PM
greetings
waltfl

Bert Kemp
07-30-2015, 3:38 PM
Walt I notice you engrave with the grain I find Iget better results going against the grain

maybe this helps
I am using the scrap pieces from the flooring installer of bamboo I get them for free and the good part is that the surface is already sealed.

they give318609318610 it for free. I cut the tong and grove of on the table saw and finish them with 2 poly clear coats. here a some sample if you need more help send me a PM
greetings
waltfl

Glen Monaghan
07-30-2015, 4:16 PM
Maybe it's just me, but those mirrored hands appear rather disturbing... Probably because it looks like left is right and right is left.

Bert Kemp
07-30-2015, 5:01 PM
Looks like the same hand mirrored:D

Maybe it's just me, but those mirrored hands appear rather disturbing... Probably because it looks like left is right and right is left.

Lee DeRaud
07-30-2015, 5:38 PM
Looks like the same hand mirrored:DCould be, but they're still backwards.

Glen Monaghan
07-30-2015, 5:45 PM
Looks like the same hand mirrored:D

Yes, that's what I said, but it remains that the "left" hand should be on the right and the "right" one should be on the left...

Bert Kemp
07-30-2015, 6:33 PM
Sorry Glen I wasn't paying attention :eek:

318640better :p don't rag on my lousy cut and paste job lol

Yes, that's what I said, but it remains that the "left" hand should be on the right and the "right" one should be on the left...

walter hofmann
07-31-2015, 5:19 AM
hi guys
its a matter of opinion but this was not the question if I remember right it was regards to engraving bamboo.
I just try to help out glen.
the design is not in question.
greetings
waltfl

Glenn Norton
08-04-2015, 1:36 PM
I got what I was looking for. But I was concerned about the backward hands?

Glen Monaghan
08-04-2015, 4:43 PM
He confused Glen (me) and Glenn (you)...

Glenn Norton
08-06-2015, 1:10 PM
Been working with some bamboo I had it the shop to get a feel for it. Does a nice job. I have found on this machine that the smoke when I am doing any wood leaves a lot of stain. I have an OLD Universal M20 and the fans pull across the surface. Is there anyway to stop this without using a mask.

Gary Hair
08-06-2015, 1:18 PM
Clean it after with denatured alcohol. Other than that you'll have to mask somehow.

Glenn Norton
08-07-2015, 11:29 AM
Gary that worked good. I appreciate the help.

Patrick Smithwick
08-07-2015, 5:28 PM
We engrave quite a bit of bamboo as of late as well and I have found that masking is always best unless doing a photo. Only draw back is a lot of smoke from the bamboo and it has a urine smell to it when it is pulled out of the laser! Yuck!

Keith Winter
08-07-2015, 7:09 PM
We engrave quite a bit of bamboo as of late as well and I have found that masking is always best unless doing a photo. Only draw back is a lot of smoke from the bamboo and it has a urine smell to it when it is pulled out of the laser! Yuck!

Might want to setup a camera and see if the cat is using your wood as a liter box at night if smells like urine when you engrave it :p Seriously though, something's wrong with the wood if it's that fowl. Should just be a mild burnt wood smell if you're just engraving and not cutting. Also shouldn't smoke very much.

Glenn and Patrick,
Some smoke is normal but a lot of smoke means you have other issues beyond the wood. Either you're engraving it too hot, or your ventilation is not adequate if it's smoking heavily. 1. What CPM is your blower rated at? 2. what size is your exhaust tube and is it rigid or flex? 3. how far are you going to exhausting it out?

Patrick Smithwick
08-08-2015, 9:40 PM
Keith we dont have an issue with smoke coming out of the laser, just the putrid smell of the bamboo when it's pulled out. The bamboo just seems to produce a lot more smoke than the teak or other woods we engrave.

I am using the stock blower that came with our Rabbit laser. As we just bought a new Epilog, i am in the process of installing a new blower system that is far more powerful and will be able to handle both machines.

Might want to setup a camera and see if the cat is using your wood as a liter box at night if smells like urine when you engrave it :p Seriously though, something's wrong with the wood if it's that fowl. Should just be a mild burnt wood smell if you're just engraving and not cutting. Also shouldn't smoke very much.

Glenn and Patrick,
Some smoke is normal but a lot of smoke means you have other issues beyond the wood. Either you're engraving it too hot, or your ventilation is not adequate if it's smoking heavily. 1. What CPM is your blower rated at? 2. what size is your exhaust tube and is it rigid or flex? 3. how far are you going to exhausting it out?

Keith Winter
08-08-2015, 10:37 PM
That's what makes me think that something is wrong with your material settings or ventilation system, those all smoke about the same for us. Bamboo oak maple etc. That rabbit come with one of those 550cpm china blowers? Habor freight has some cheap 1 and 2 hp ones that might help you move the air more, Penn state also has some that the Trotec rep recommends. If you have the budget I love my new shopfox one. Also you could try adjusting your air assist to help with smoke.

Patrick Smithwick
08-09-2015, 1:09 AM
Yeah it's got the cheap Chinese blower. I bought the 2 HP from HF for the Epilog and I am going to use it for the Rabbit as well. I will give the air assist a little boost and see if that helps. Thank you for the tip!

That's what makes me think that something is wrong with your material settings or ventilation system, those all smoke about the same for us. Bamboo oak maple etc. That rabbit come with one of those 550cpm china blowers? Habor freight has some cheap 1 and 2 hp ones that might help you move the air more, Penn state also has some that the Trotec rep recommends. If you have the budget I love my new shopfox one. Also you could try adjusting your air assist to help with smoke.

Keith Winter
08-09-2015, 4:35 AM
You're welcome, anytime!