PDA

View Full Version : Another Gloat but from a Newbie

Joe Blankshain
08-19-2005, 9:59 PM
After seeing the posts from Eddie (Happy Birthday) and Garry, I felt it necessary to post some pictures of the fine shop my wife has allowed me to assemble. I have been lurking and learning for sometime now and recently joined so that I could share some of my lessons. I have attached some pictures of the shop in this post and in another some of the items that have been produced. Sorry for the size of the post but needed to do the tools justice. Many thanks to my wife for being understanding that growing up is an option and men (I specifically) need to make noise, a mess and attempt to create. It makes my life easier kowing she gets it.

Joe Blankshain
08-19-2005, 10:02 PM
Here are some more and some pics of the Plane collection display cases that I made. The table is Leopardwood with Birds eye maple banding. The cases are birch plywood with one banded with Bubinga and the other Purpleheart.

Jim Dunn
08-19-2005, 10:07 PM
That's one fine shop you got there Joe. What are those stainless steel tool boxes used for? I've never seen them in stainless. Are they used in an operating room normally?

Per Swenson
08-19-2005, 10:08 PM
Joe,

Never mind that I am envious about all that room.
I really like your plane collection.
No, not that one.
The airplane collection.
Makes you OK in my book.
Per

Joe Blankshain
08-19-2005, 10:13 PM
The stainless boxes were a gift from my MIL and FIL on my 40th. They hold all of the surgical instruments for proper wood therapy. Thanks for noticing the airplanes, the other hobby. Gifts from my wife on the 40th. Waited all of my life (46 years) for a proper shop and finally am getting close.

Roy Wall
08-19-2005, 10:17 PM
Joe,

Very nice setup..........is this a commercial building? Also, do you have a cyclone DC setup somewhere???

Joe Blankshain
08-19-2005, 10:20 PM
Yes it is a commercial building and no to the cyclone, however am working on it.

lou sansone
08-19-2005, 10:32 PM
great looking shop, but where is the sawdust?:)

What is on the drawing board for the next project?

regards
lou

Joe Blankshain
08-19-2005, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the kind words. I believe, as time permits (have to pay for the goods and keep the wife happy) I am going to get down to some good old fashion jig and workshop related projects. Time for a sled for the TS and an outfeed table. I will keep all informed. If you get this way, stop by for a cup of coffee soda or other liquid beverage and I will show you where I hide the sawdust.

Roy Wall
08-19-2005, 10:57 PM
Joe - you've got a terrific shop there!! Enjoy and be safe....

See you around here @ SMC!!

Lee DeRaud
08-19-2005, 11:18 PM
I don't think you're using quite the same definition of "newbie" that I am. :D

Bruce Page
08-19-2005, 11:26 PM
Joe, I’m very jealous, I’ve always wanted a warehouse for a shop.:eek: It looks like you’ve done your homework, you have very nice equipment.
Your Table is also very nice!

Ken Fitzgerald
08-20-2005, 12:15 AM
Welcome to the Creek Joe! Newbie.....I don't think so.....Nice shop and project! Looking forward to more pictures in the future.

Joe Blankshain
08-20-2005, 12:20 AM
Thanks to all for the kind words. "Newbie" maybe the incorrect term I am new to the forum and relatively new to having the shop. It is about two years in the making and I am still "playing with the toys". My wife is very understanding and supports the shop as my therapy. It is my intention to retire to a large 2000sqft shop in the backyard and make projects for friends and family. This hobby keeps me sane in the insane world of technology (job that pays for the toys). I hope to be an asset to the forum for a long time.

Frank Hagan
08-20-2005, 12:21 AM
Wow! Great tools and a great space! I'm working on two little projects right now in my little shop, and I can barely move around. I need to clean it up tomorrow in preparation for ripping some 1/4" oak I planed this evening ... I'm to the "danger" point of crowding without an hour or so of rearranging!

But then again, you look organized too ... I worry that if I had that much space, I might never finish a project, but just start them! I suspect you don't have that problem. (Table looks great, by the way)

Christian Aufreiter
08-20-2005, 9:13 AM
That's one nice shop, for sure. Congrats, Joe!
BTW, does your wife have a sister? :D

Regards,

Christian

Bob Marino
08-20-2005, 10:28 AM
Joe,

That's an incredible amount of space!! I can hope that in my next life....

How do you like that Dewalt ts? I had it and thought it was an excellent tool.

Bob

Jim Becker
08-20-2005, 11:08 AM
Yea...the space! Nice... (Welcome to SMC)

Richard Wolf
08-20-2005, 12:12 PM
Neatness is a sign of a sick mind! Great looking shop and projests.

Richard

Mark Singer
08-20-2005, 12:22 PM
Really nice shop!!!

Joe Blankshain
08-20-2005, 1:33 PM
Thanks again to all the kindness. I hope that I can contibute as much to the forum as all of you have contibuted to the growth of my skills. Again, stop by for something cold to drink if you come through AZ.
The Dewalt TS is great, however, I am thinking it is time to graduate to a pro series as well as upgrade to an 8 or 12 inch joiner.
My wife does have a sister, but sorry I got the best of the bunch!
The space is great to work in as I can perform multiple tasks with out having to figure out where to do the work. I.E. cut,shape, sand and assemble.
I have worked in a small shop for a long time so I have learned that neatness counts and I have brought it to this one. But so does a sick mind. Thanks again

Dan Forman
08-20-2005, 4:30 PM
When I first saw the pics, I was thinking, what's it like to work in an aircraft hanger. Then when eagle eye Per spotted the planes, I knew I was on the right track. Nice setup you have there, and nice work on the cabinets. Welcome and hope to see more.

Dan

Gil Mitchell
08-21-2005, 1:14 PM
per you must have eyes like an eagle,

John Renzetti
08-21-2005, 1:34 PM
That is a great shop. Very well organized. I wish I could be so organized. I missed the airplanes (great since I fly for a living) until Per pointed that out. Are those all RC.
take care,
John

scott spencer
08-21-2005, 2:14 PM
"Newbie" my foot! You did alot of lurking before you posted! Looks like you emptied a Woodcraft store! (Do they know yet?) :D Newbies are supposed to tell us about their new $99 portable TS that their in laws gave them, not make us green with envy right out of the starting gate! :)

Seriously....congrats. That's an impressive haul for anyone. :)

Ronnie Byers
11-10-2005, 11:41 PM
Joe, to bad your neighbor is the only one who knows how to use all these tools http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/icons/icon10.gif Ha Ha Joe JK.

scott spencer
11-11-2005, 6:50 AM
That doesn't look like a newbie shop to me! That's a darn nice tool shrine you've got there, complete with an excellent stash of wood and a nice Mercedes to haul it in! :D

Have fun, make noise, make a mess, and create! :)