PDA

View Full Version : Are you going to upgade to Windows 10 today?

dennis thompson
07-29-2015, 6:33 AM
Windows 10 is available today, are you going to upgrade today?

Chuck Wintle
07-29-2015, 6:42 AM

I will start with my laptop, download and install it. According to the "compatibility report" everything is good, apps and hardware. After that, if i like it, will upgrade the desktop to windows 10. What about yourself? Also does anyone wonder why MS has suddenly made this free for all users to upgrade to? Call me paranoid but i wonder if there is an ulterior motive to this "freebie".

Randy Red Bemont
07-29-2015, 7:05 AM
Yes. It sounds like a great improvement.

Red

William Adams
07-29-2015, 7:13 AM
Hard to be the only guy in the room selling a product everyone else is giving away for free.

AIUI, It’s a one-time free upgrade for Windows 7/8 users, w/ a 1 year window. After that, it’ll be bundled w/ machines as it was, or one can buy licenses.

Reasons for Microsoft to do this:

- reduce market fragmentation — they especially need to wean people off Windows 7
- spur adoption and increase market share (slight variation / expansion of the above)
- they need to kill off botnets, moving home users to a version which forces and pushes down updates w/o user intervention or the chance to opt out will help a lot
- they want a captive audience to test patches for business users

Apparently they’ll be working out some way to have various iterations of Windows 10, as Apple does w/ Mac OS X, w/ specific time frames for support and update eligibility. One won’t be able to buy a single machine / license and upgrade the machine for forever and never buy a new license / upgrade for it.

Not updating immediately — got burnt out on being an early adopter, and I only do beta-testing when I get a software license. I’ll be waiting until a couple of people at least have reported good success on the machine in question.

Ken Kimbrell
07-29-2015, 7:23 AM
Already running for about one(+) month on my laptop and it works lots better than the Windows 8.1 that it had before. My wife's laptop has Windows 7, so it will stay the same, we like 7 much more than 8.1 or 10.

EDIT: to say... the update procedure is my only gripe so far. For those of us on metered connections it really complicates life.

Larry Frank
07-29-2015, 8:04 AM
I have Windows 7 and am happy with it.

This constant updating is a pain on all devices. What I have works well for me.

The worst update was the recent Android phone update to Lollipop. It took me days to get things straightened out. The same happens for every Windows update.

Grumble....Grumble.....Grumble

dennis thompson
07-29-2015, 8:04 AM
Already running for about one(+) month on my laptop and it works lots better than the Windows 8.1 that it had before. My wife's laptop has Windows 7, so it will stay the same, we like 7 much more than 8.1 or 10.

EDIT: to say... the update procedure is my only gripe so far. For those of us on metered connections it really complicates life.
I have windows 7 too and it works fine for my purposes. . I am not a computer expert. Is there any downside to staying with Windows 7?

Pat Barry
07-29-2015, 8:38 AM
I think so. I signed up for the download a few weeks ago. I see no reason NOT to do it for the laptop I use the most. By the way, here at work we use Windows 7. It will probably be 5 years before our IT department is ready to go to Windows 10

roger wiegand
07-29-2015, 8:43 AM
No, not crazy. Version 10.1 perhaps, but never a .0 release of any software if I can possibly avoid it.

Wade Lippman
07-29-2015, 9:21 AM
Absolutely. They have blown it the last 5 times. It seems certain they will get it right this time!

Actually I just checked and they tell me to wait until notified.

Paul McGaha
07-29-2015, 9:26 AM
We currently have (3) Windows 7 computers and (1) Windows XP computer. As these computers are currently running everything we need them to (not much more then Microsoft Office) we aren't planning on upgrading.

PHM

Clarence Martin
07-29-2015, 9:50 AM
How long will it be till the people that have reserved a copy for Windows 10 can download it ? Seems as though the Beta testers get first crack at Window 10. We talking days, weeks ???

Dave Richards
07-29-2015, 9:54 AM
I just ordered a new computer with Win7 Pro 64-bit on it. I'm not interested in V10 at this point and the guy building the computer advised against it, too. I learned from previous Windows versions that it's best to let a few hundred thousand other people test it first and wait through a couple of version updates before diving in.

Brian Elfert
07-29-2015, 10:10 AM
I am in no hurry to upgrade. I have had very bad luck with upgrading Windows in the past. The system never ran right until I did a clean install of Windows. If I do anything it will be a clean install probably on a new SSD as I only have an 80GB right now. There is a good chance I will stick with 7 on this PC and just wait for 10 until I get a new PC down the road.

My understanding is that Microsoft will release the upgrade in stages to avoid overwhelming their servers. It would make sense that those who helped test the product would get first crack at downloading the final product.

William Adams
07-29-2015, 12:16 PM
For a Windows 7 machine, if you envision continuing to use it past January 14, 2020 ( http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/lifecycle ) you should consider finding a way to get the Windows 10 update while it's free and archiving an installation of it — if that’s possible. I’m looking into doing that on my son’s Windows 7 gaming machine.

Mike Henderson
07-29-2015, 12:18 PM
I plan to upgrade, but probably not today. I'll wait a little while.

Mike

Al Launier
07-29-2015, 12:19 PM
No, not crazy. Version 10.1 perhaps, but never a .0 release of any software if I can possibly avoid it.

My sentiments exactly! Besides W 8.1 is working fine & doing everything I want.

Mike Lassiter
07-29-2015, 12:28 PM
I have Windows 7 and am happy with it.

This constant updating is a pain on all devices. What I have works well for me.

The worst update was the recent Android phone update to Lollipop. It took me days to get things straightened out. The same happens for every Windows update.

Grumble....Grumble.....Grumble

THIS!
I just spent several hours getting my shop computer straightened out last week after 24 windows updates that were important were installed. Wi-Fi connection stopped working, which is my link to all my files that are in a home server so I can access the same file from the shop or inside our house. No internet access until Wi-Fi was sorted out, no Corel Draw files or laser files until then. I do not allow automatic install of files as I have in the past had something in the works on Corel Draw maybe and while the file itself would be saved any changes to it had not been. Come back to find a rebooted computer because "windows installed updates that required rebooting your computer to install".
Don't mind that so much but I do mind lost time or aggravation caused by something that happens because something decided to do something without my knowledge or readiness.
Short answer is NO.
will wait and see. Too many software programs that need to work when I need them to only to find out my embroidery machine software (which is the only way to communicate with the machine) no longer works, and we have work to do now - at midnight. I had to wait to replace a computer until the laser driver I need was updated to 64 bit because it was our understanding the one we had wouldn't work on a newer computer. Windows 7 Pro in the shop and 4 years old & Windows 8 > 8.1 upgrade about 1-1/2 years old.

Randy Red Bemont
07-29-2015, 12:56 PM
I guess I need to wait until I get an email with a link or something. I was hoping it would just be there and download.

Red

David Masters
07-29-2015, 1:19 PM
No, I'll wait until a 10.1 release at least. The real beta test begins today with the 10.0 release. For OS X I wait for a .2 or .3 release.

Larry Browning
07-29-2015, 2:07 PM
My understanding is that today is the day it will START to roll out. Some will get it today, while others will not get it till later. I never did see where they were saying they would be finished with the automatic roll out. I would assume it might take a week or two to get it to everybody. If you think about, that's about the only way it can be managed. There are not enough servers in the world that could handle downloading something as huge as this upgrade to every windows computer in the world. For those of us waiting for our turn, we just need to be patient.

Brian Henderson
07-29-2015, 2:17 PM
Not a chance. I might eventually, after at least the first service pack, once they have worked out all of the inevitable bugs, but I'm in no hurry to upgrade. I hated everything about 8.0 and 8.1 and I have no interest in any of the 8-ish features that are in 10.

Sean Troy
07-29-2015, 3:22 PM
I'm on it right now. Works great, easy install.

Jerry Thompson
07-29-2015, 3:41 PM
I bet 10 has more patches than a quilt. I am sticking with 7 until I can't.

Chuck Wintle
07-29-2015, 3:56 PM
I guess I need to wait until I get an email with a link or something. I was hoping it would just be there and download.

Red

i did not receive an email but the windows 10 icon at the lower right of the screen has disappeared so something must be happening in the background.

Robert Delhommer Sr
07-29-2015, 4:10 PM
I am very Leary of MS giving anything for free, there has to be a catch somewhere.

George Bokros
07-29-2015, 4:29 PM
Not a chance. I might eventually, after at least the first service pack, once they have worked out all of the inevitable bugs, but I'm in no hurry to upgrade. I hated everything about 8.0 and 8.1 and I have no interest in any of the 8-ish features that are in 10.

I don't believe MS issues service packs any more, just running updates. I plan to wait at least three months which should give plenty of time to get kinks out.

Larry Browning
07-29-2015, 5:29 PM
I thinking October or November for me. Seems like a good project for Thanksgiving holiday. Maybe while the wife goes black Friday shopping. (Not really, she did that once, and swore to never do it again!)
I have so much crap on my computer to get rid of! I am going to clean house before upgrading.

Jerome Stanek
07-29-2015, 6:28 PM
I have a windows 8.1 sitting as a spare that I will try it on first. It has just the OS on it

Chuck Wintle
07-29-2015, 6:33 PM
I am very Leary of MS giving anything for free, there has to be a catch somewhere.

your skepticism is well merited given that it is MS.

Chuck Wintle
07-29-2015, 6:35 PM
OK My laptop is now running windows 10 after about 2 hours of downloading and installing. Its a dell laptop and I have the image from windows 7 as my escape plan.

Alan Caro
07-29-2015, 6:42 PM
dennis thompson,

I should mention first that I use computers for 2D and 3D CAD, graphic design, research, and writing projects- work .

Especially, when a version of Windows is first released, I'm inclined to wait for the first SP and know that the drivers are stable.

It's an odd thing that Microsoft is giving away this new version- there's a scent of desperation about it. Microsoft has had some poor versions- Windows 95 was for me the worst as it had sudden catastrophic failures- the registry disappeared four times. Windows 98 was an improvement but XP-Pro 64-bit may have been the best version ever- a great combination of automated system tasks and a simple, intuitive interface. Vista was simply not very attractive but the revamp to Windows 7 was very promising, but it took advantage of faster systems and pushed the unnessary accessories and features. I say "pushed" as the "themes" were made very resource hungry and the B'asic" theme was made intentionally ugly so the other ones would be used.

Anyway, so far, with Windows 10, I don't see the practicality of using it- at least until 2020 when Win 7 will no longer be supported. The main problem is the extreme bloat of what I call "fuzzy bears"- supposedly helpful accessory programs, but that in my view only rob the (expensive) performance. What's the use of expensive graphics cards- and they can cost up to $5,000 (Quadro M6000)- when so much performance is thrown away on an elaborate interface. Microsoft has unattractive interfeces - sorry bad typing- they never learn from Apple or Linux design nor that throwing things at the user is not the same as convenience. It may be that I can't find a screen shot of Windows 10 that allows using Windows 7-type icons, but there is no possibility of my fitting 75-80 "Tiles" on the desktop. Plus, I would have a migraine seeing a solid mosaic of that multicolored jumble and including the temperature and the news. With Windows I turn off every process that's not essential, especially updaters and refuse to run very resource- hungry themes. I ran benchmarks (Passmark and Cinebench) on Windows 7 and the graphics performance was 25% higher without the Aero theme, animated windows, and transparency enabled.

Windows 10 is said to have 7% or so better performance than Windows 7, but there's 30% more junk- sorry conveniences- to haul and from me it's impossible to look at.

No Windows 10 for me.

Alan Caro

1. HP z420 (2015) > Xeon E5-1660 v2 six-core @ 3.7 / 4.0GHz > 32GB DDR3 ECC 1866 RAM > Quadro K4200 (4GB) > Intel 730 480GB (9SSDSC2BP480G4R5) > Western Digital Black WD1003FZEX 1TB> M-Audio 192 sound card > 600W PSU> Logitech z2300 > Linksys AE3000 USB WiFi > 2X Dell Ultrasharp U2715H (2560 X 1440) > Windows 7 Professional 64 >
[ Passmark Rating = 5064 > CPU= 13989 / 2D= 819 / 3D= 4596 / Mem= 2772 / Disk= 4555] [Cinebench R15 > CPU = 1014 OpenGL= 126.59 FPS] 7.8.15

Pending upgrade: HP /LSI 9212-4i PCIe SAS /SATA HBA RAID controller, 2X Seagate Constellation ES.3 1TB (RAID 1)

2. Dell Precision T5500 (2011) > Xeon X5680 six -core @ 3.33 / 3.6GHz, 24GB DDR3 ECC 1333 > Quadro K2200 (4GB ) > Samsung 840 250GB / WD RE4 Enterprise 1TB > M-Audio 192 sound card > Linksys WMP600N PCI WiFi > 875W PSU > Windows 7 Professional 64> HP 2711x (1920 X 1080)
[ Passmark system rating = 3490 / CPU = 9178 / 2D= 685 / 3D= 3566 / Mem= 1865 / Disk= 2122] [Cinebench 15 > CPU = 772 OpenGL= 99.72 FPS] 7.8.15

Some test images- future renderings- from a current project:

318585318583 318586318587

Jack Lemley
07-29-2015, 8:46 PM
I was on the wait list. Checked this morning and the download was 53 % complete (2+ GB). One hour later and the update went slicker than owl snot! So far I really like Win 10. Was on Win 7 Premium before.

Jack

Mike Henderson
07-29-2015, 8:50 PM
I was on the wait list. Checked this morning and the download was 53 % complete (2+ GB). One hour later and the update went slicker than owl snot! So far I really like Win 10. Was on Win 7 Premium before.

Jack
How do you check to see if it's downloading?

Mike

Greg R Bradley
07-29-2015, 8:55 PM
Microsoft is completely willing to kill the people that buy consumer electronics "computers" from places that aren't authorized to sell computers. These include Best Buy, Staples, Office Depot, etc.

HP z420 and the Dell T550 are actually computers, even low-mid range Workstations. They still come with Windows 7 since it actually works. I just ordered 3 z420 & 2 z230 computers today. They will be running several hundred thousand dollars worth of software from accu-build.com, b2wsoftware.com, agtek.com, chiefarchitect.com, dispatchingsolutions.com.

My personal z400 from 2010 works great, even though it is driving $7000 worth of monitors through 2 v5900 video cards.

Hard to believe that the same company that makes Server 2012r2, SQL 2012 & 2014, Exchange 2013 also makes garbage like Win8. When they sold earlier garbage like Window 98 and ME, they were VERY clear that it was not to be used in a business but consumers just didn't listen. No point in even looking at WIn10 for at least 6 months.

Matt Meiser
07-29-2015, 10:52 PM
I did it at lunch today. I could always go back to last nights image if I had to but so far its working fine here. My Windows Home Server 2011 backup was complaining until I ran through the wizard again but after that I did a manual backup and it completed fine. I may put an old drive in my laptop over the weekend and attempt a restore for piece of mind.

Haven't messed with the new browser or Cortana. Not super crazy about the privacy policy there.

Alan Caro
07-29-2015, 11:18 PM
Greg R Bradley,

I think that most people using a computer seriously for work- not gamester armchair alien killers, snapchatty tweetlings, or completely googleyed facebookies- will agree that there needs to be separate sets of tools for working and a set of toys for playing. MS is touting Windows 10 as the forever OS that does everything for everyone on every platform- but only as long as it's on a portable device. The goofy tiles interface is made to be readable when they're 1/2" across- they're ridiculous 4" wide on a 30 " 12-bit color-corrected monitor.

One problem with Microsoft seems to be that they seem to miss the biggest trends until they're too late. this happened with the Internet- Mosaic and Netscape took over the browser world and MS playing catchup had to make Internet Explorer integral to XP such that removing it would hobbled the entire OS. My recollection is that there were lawsuits - perhaps it was a portion of the anti-trust case-and MS had to de-integrate by court order. Now, as Samsung and Apple walk away with the mobile OS world, MS- probably frightened to the core by the Apple watch-and the rapid shift to mobile devices is again playing desperate catchup and is so frightened it's making Windows 10 completely mobile-centric and giving it away to try and get back in the running. In my view, it's the same story as with IE, they're too late and this time the response is not a reasonably good browser but a kind of mushy inbetweener solution that will end up not pleasing the smart phone crowd well and the dwindling but hard-core desktop / workstation side is going to revolt. I talk to a lot of architects, engineers, the local linear accelerator and wind tunnel and no one is getting Windows 10 in any definite way. The greatest enthusiasm is "we'll see" and the least enthusiasm can't be printed here. Linux as an open platform is evolving much faster, more intelligently, and more aesthetically than Windows and finding it's way increasingly into home NAS servers and it seems likely that there will be a flavour in a very few years that will significantly wean the server /workstation users off Windows.

Workstations: I've had very good results with Dell Precisions: 390, T5400, T5500 and HP- I have 2-z420's , the E5-1660 v2 / Quadro K4200 and my 2013 one, E5-1620. I feel the Precisions have a higher build quality and a somewhat better design and support, but the HP's have been ultra-reliable.

My next system I think is going to be a Supemicro Superworkstation:

http://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/superworkstation.cfm

These are interesting as you buy a chassis with PSU and motherboard, so you just plug in the CPU's / RAM,. GPU, and drives. The Supermicro motherboards like the X10 dual LGA2011-3 are among the highest perorming and they're server quality. The Superworkstations have a lot of drive bays- even hot swap on a couple of the models, and are supposed to be very quiet.

May I ask what kind of work you are doing? Isn't or wasn't Beck (replica Porsches) in Upland?

Alan Caro

Dave Lehnert
07-29-2015, 11:43 PM
Has anyone upgraded to 10 today that was not on the waiting list?
Just wondering how long a wait to upgrade.
I need a laptop but in store is all 8.1. with free upgrade. I understand 10 will be free for one year. What happens if I buy a 8.1, upgrade to 10 then in 3 years need to reinstall 10. Will 10 be free for me then or will I have to restore to the original 8.1?

Jack Lemley
07-29-2015, 11:53 PM
Mike,

If you are on Win 7 I believe you go to control panel, then system, then you should see a way to check on update. If you are set to auto setup and are on the waiting list then just leave it connected to the internet and on and it should snag it for you.

Jack

How do you check to see if it's downloading?

Mike

Greg R Bradley
07-30-2015, 12:29 AM
May I ask what kind of work you are doing? Isn't or wasn't Beck (replica Porsches) in Upland?
Alan Caro
Alan,

I have a variety of interests, the one I was referring to is a heavy construction business.

I know, or rather knew, Chuck Beck well for many years when he was in Upland the first time, then he disappeared to Brazil trying to manufacture the Speedster Replicas in Sao Paulo, then came back to Upland and was in a tiny shop next to the entrance to Cable Airport. We worked together on an article for European Car Magazine, then he moved to Atlanta and I lost track of him. We had a number of plane related friends. I still fly with a couple of his old friends but they lost track of him when he left the area also. He became much more well known after he moved to Atlanta.

If he ever offers to give you a ride in a car, just say NO! He's very good but also a bit nuts!

Brian Ashton
07-30-2015, 4:32 AM

I signed up for the beta testing a while back to eventually get the full version for free. The other night I clicked on update and it updated to the latest beta version. Then restarted and updated to the full version. Took about 3 hours to do the two extensive updates. Never touched the computer once in all that. So far it's been very good and I'm running it on a mac in a virtual environment. Much better than 8. The only caveat is I only use Office 365 on it so YMMV.

Brian Ashton
07-30-2015, 4:37 AM
I have windows 7 too and it works fine for my purposes. . I am not a computer expert. Is there any downside to staying with Windows 7?

Nope. don't fix what ain't broke. I also have win7 and xp, along with win10 running in a virtual envr on a mac and for the time being I'm not getting rid of xp or 7 any time soon.

Pat Barry
07-30-2015, 7:45 AM
You can check the status by clicking on the little Windows icon on the lower right corner of the task bar. It will open a window to show the status. Mine id downloaded and ready to install. I plan to do it tonight when I get home from work. I hate Windows 8 so I am very ready for anything

Rich Engelhardt
07-30-2015, 8:42 AM
Tried and got,....

Windows has encountered an unknown error - Code 80070002

Warning - - /rant on....

Ya know, it's garbage like Microsoft puts out that's responsible for the sad state of affairs our country is in today. Since they started - 4/4/75, all they've done is hood wink the public into thinking they were getting something when in reality, all they were getting for their money was garbage like this - - - an unknown error.
How in the name of all that's holy could they have, after 40 years of working on their software, things like an unknown error?
My total disgust with Microsoft isn't because I get an error message when trying to upgrade/update, it's the error message itself - an unknown error.
If the people that write the garbage don't have a clue what's wrong with it, then how can they expect anyone else to know?
What' worse is that it's so common place that people just simply accept the fact that no one knows and continue along like that's normal!

Only in medicine and the computer world does garbage like this fly....

Can you envision this.....
You go to the Golden Arches and order a gut bomb, fries and a shake. They take your money and,,,,,,you wait and wait and wait and wait. people come and go and get served, but, you wait and wait and wait.
Finally, you ask "Where's my order"?....
And they tell you, ,,,,and unknown error has occurred....please have your credit card ready when you call tech support.

rant/off.....

Pat Barry
07-30-2015, 10:07 AM
Tried and got,....

Windows has encountered an unknown error - Code 80070002

Warning - - /rant on....

Ya know, it's garbage like Microsoft puts out that's responsible for the sad state of affairs our country is in today. Since they started - 4/4/75, all they've done is hood wink the public into thinking they were getting something when in reality, all they were getting for their money was garbage like this - - - an unknown error.
How in the name of all that's holy could they have, after 40 years of working on their software, things like an unknown error?
My total disgust with Microsoft isn't because I get an error message when trying to upgrade/update, it's the error message itself - an unknown error.
If the people that write the garbage don't have a clue what's wrong with it, then how can they expect anyone else to know?
What' worse is that it's so common place that people just simply accept the fact that no one knows and continue along like that's normal!

Only in medicine and the computer world does garbage like this fly....

Can you envision this.....
You go to the Golden Arches and order a gut bomb, fries and a shake. They take your money and,,,,,,you wait and wait and wait and wait. people come and go and get served, but, you wait and wait and wait.
Finally, you ask "Where's my order"?....
And they tell you, ,,,,and unknown error has occurred....please have your credit card ready when you call tech support.

rant/off.....

so
I did notice last night while the download was in process that there was also an unknown error reported. I ignored this becasue the download was still in process. This morning it reported "success"

Brian Henderson
07-30-2015, 2:06 PM
i did not receive an email but the windows 10 icon at the lower right of the screen has disappeared so something must be happening in the background.

You can still go to your Windows Update page and it's right there.

Pat Barry
07-30-2015, 5:56 PM
Well, ... I also got the informative "Something went wrong", "please try again later" message. Oh well, 0 for 1.

Jerome Stanek
07-30-2015, 6:37 PM
I downloaded it this morning and stuck it on my one laptop that only had Windows 8.1 that I never ran. not sure if I will like it as I use classic shell on my main laptop

Ole Anderson
07-30-2015, 7:03 PM
No. But I am having issues with Win 7 updating on my 7 year old laptop. Failure to update. Going on 3 months now.

Pat Barry
07-31-2015, 7:12 AM
Well, ... I also got the informative "Something went wrong", "please try again later" message. Oh well, 0 for 1.

So, I re-tried the install about 10 min later and it worked. Tok about 45 min in all, and so far it works great . Best thing is that it looks a lot more like Win 7 than WIn 8. The stupid Win 8 start menu is gone.

Julie Moriarty
07-31-2015, 9:31 AM
Not sure how accurate this is, but here it is:
Upgrading to Windows 10 will automatically make Microsoft Edge your PC's default Web browser, even if you used a different browser when your PC was running Windows 7 or Windows 8. You can make Mozilla Firefox, Google, Chrome, Apple, Safari or another app your default browser in Windows 10, but it's not as easy or intuitive to do that as it was in previous versions of Windows.

In an open letter (https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2015/07/30/an-open-letter-to-microsofts-ceo-dont-roll-back-the-clock-on-choice-and-control/) to Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, Mozilla chief Chris Beard (http://money.cnn.com/2014/04/14/technology/mozilla-ceo/index.html?iid=EL) called that new browser experience "very disturbing."

"The update experience appears to have been designed to throw away the choice your customers have made about the Internet experience they want, and replace it with the Internet experience Microsoft wants them to have," Beard wrote.

Pat Barry
07-31-2015, 9:44 AM
Not sure how accurate this is, but here it is:
Upgrading to Windows 10 will automatically make Microsoft Edge your PC's default Web browser, even if you used a different browser when your PC was running Windows 7 or Windows 8. You can make Mozilla Firefox, Google, Chrome, Apple, Safari or another app your default browser in Windows 10, but it's not as easy or intuitive to do that as it was in previous versions of Windows.

In an open letter (https://blog.mozilla.org/blog/2015/07/30/an-open-letter-to-microsofts-ceo-dont-roll-back-the-clock-on-choice-and-control/) to Microsoft CEO Satya Nadella, Mozilla chief Chris Beard (http://money.cnn.com/2014/04/14/technology/mozilla-ceo/index.html?iid=EL) called that new browser experience "very disturbing."

"The update experience appears to have been designed to throw away the choice your customers have made about the Internet experience they want, and replace it with the Internet experience Microsoft wants them to have," Beard wrote.
It would have been disturbing if the upgrade caused my Mozilla Firefox and Waterfox and Google Chrome to disappear, but they are all right there where I left them, along with Explorer - do that call Explorer Edge now? I don't regularly use that

Brian Henderson
07-31-2015, 1:56 PM
No. But I am having issues with Win 7 updating on my 7 year old laptop. Failure to update. Going on 3 months now.

I only have one issue, a non-critical update for my video card that fails repeatedly. Since it hasn't affected performance, I'm not worrying about it, I've hidden it and I'll wait for the next one.

Larry Browning
07-31-2015, 2:38 PM
It would have been disturbing if the upgrade caused my Mozilla Firefox and Waterfox and Google Chrome to disappear, but they are all right there where I left them, along with Explorer - do that call Explorer Edge now? I don't regularly use that

Pat,
Microsoft has a new browser called Edge (Not Explorer Edge) It is one of the new features that comes with Windows 10. I have no experience with it other than what I have read. If I am to believe what I have read, MS Edge is quite a bit different than other browsers. I think one of the main features is that it makes annotation (marking up) of web pages simple and build in.
According to what Julie is quoting, the upgrade will automatically switch your default browser to Edge. So if someone send you a link to a web page in an email, Windows will open that web page using Edge instead of what ever you were using. So the question is for those who have upgraded to Win10, did the upgrade change your default browser to Edge? or did it keep what you had for the default browser?

Jerome Stanek
07-31-2015, 3:30 PM
I also downloaded easeus go back as suggested on Cnet. They said that with windows 10 go back it will only work foe 1 month

Curt Harms
08-01-2015, 9:23 AM
Pat,
Microsoft has a new browser called Edge (Not Explorer Edge) It is one of the new features that comes with Windows 10. I have no experience with it other than what I have read. If I am to believe what I have read, MS Edge is quite a bit different than other browsers. I think one of the main features is that it makes annotation (marking up) of web pages simple and build in.
According to what Julie is quoting, the upgrade will automatically switch your default browser to Edge. So if someone send you a link to a web page in an email, Windows will open that web page using Edge instead of what ever you were using. So the question is for those who have upgraded to Win10, did the upgrade change your default browser to Edge? or did it keep what you had for the default browser?

Edge is supposed to be standards compliant unlike I.E. so web pages display the same on all browsers without the need to add I.E. - only bits. In fact, I've seen it claimed that Edge is more standards compliant than Google Chrome. It seems web designers are not distraught about I.E. being deprecated, it makes their jobs easier not having to code for everybody else then I.E. specifically. I.E. 11 is still there if required for I.E. only intranets or built-for-I.E. web pages. I installed Win 10 build 10130 from a DVD. It upgraded to 10.162 then to the current version 10.240(?). I don't recall having to reset preferences. I did have to set Firefox as the preferred browser initially. Windows is and will remain my secondary O.S. but anyone with a reasonable grasp of Windows since 95 shouldn't have too much trouble if my experience is representative.

David Masters
08-01-2015, 10:11 AM
As I understand it, Microsoft has a link to download an .iso image that you can burn to a DVD and install Windows 10 from scratch. I'm still fuzzy on what key you use, but I believe you use your Windows 7 or 8.1 key to do a fresh install with the Windows 10 DVD you created.

Jerome Stanek
08-01-2015, 4:22 PM
As I understand it, Microsoft has a link to download an .iso image that you can burn to a DVD and install Windows 10 from scratch. I'm still fuzzy on what key you use, but I believe you use your Windows 7 or 8.1 key to do a fresh install with the Windows 10 DVD you created.

If you have windows 7 you will need a key to install it it will come from MS in your email. If you just download that Iso it will upgrade your windows 8.1 without a key and give it it's own. I am waiting for the key to install on a windows 7 machine but have it on 3 windows 8.1 machines.

Brian Elfert
08-01-2015, 5:23 PM
Exactly which web standard is this new Edge browser supposed to be compliant with? Web standards are evolving so fast that I don't know how any browser can say they are compliant with current web standards. Then you have the problem of old websites not always working with new standards. What I really want is a browser that will display EVERY website properly, but that will never happen I know.

I still run into websites at least monthly that have copyright dates in the 90s. Based on the look I am pretty sure that was the last time the site was updated.

Pat Barry
08-02-2015, 6:45 PM
Pat,
My upgrade left Firefox as the default web viewer.

Myk Rian
08-02-2015, 9:25 PM
Exactly which web standard is this new Edge browser supposed to be compliant with?
That's what I'm wondering. MS seems to think they set the standards, even though others don't use them.

Randy Red Bemont
08-03-2015, 7:13 AM
I did the upgrade last night with no problem. Everything is where I left it. Now if I can only figure out how to download pictures from my iPhone to the computer I'll be doing great.

Red

Curt Harms
08-03-2015, 9:46 AM
Exactly which web standard is this new Edge browser supposed to be compliant with?

One that doesn't use ActiveX and VBScript for starters, I suspect. Malware slingers will be disappointed but can't please everybody.

Clarence Martin
08-03-2015, 7:18 PM
Still waiting for Microsoft to download Windows 10. They said they will be doing in "Waves" and it could be days or weeks to actually get windows 10 downloaded. Guess I just have to wait in line like everyone else.

Jerome Stanek
08-03-2015, 8:36 PM
Still waiting for Microsoft to download Windows 10. They said they will be doing in "Waves" and it could be days or weeks to actually get windows 10 downloaded. Guess I just have to wait in line like everyone else.

If you can't wait try this

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Clarence Martin
08-04-2015, 6:22 PM
Took about 2 1/2 Hours to get the new Windows 10 downloaded this Morning. Started at 9:30 AM and done right around 11:00 AM. A little bit of a learning curve and will take some getting used to. On down side, I don't know which free firewalls and free Anti Virus software will work best with Windows 10.

Any suggestions on that????

Curt Harms
08-05-2015, 7:29 AM
Took about 2 1/2 Hours to get the new Windows 10 downloaded this Morning. Started at 9:30 AM and done right around 11:00 AM. A little bit of a learning curve and will take some getting used to. On down side, I don't know which free firewalls and free Anti Virus software will work best with Windows 10.

Any suggestions on that????

Avast & Bit Defender work. I don't know about others.

Mike Henderson
08-05-2015, 11:22 AM
I'm trying to upgrade - but when I start a program, the icon does not show in the taskbar. If that's not fixed, I'll go back to 8.1. The installation put word and excel in the taskbar but nothing else shows up.

[Update] the program I had that bypassed the Metro interface in 8.1 was causing a conflict in 10. Once I uninstalled it, Win 10 worked fine.

[Another update] Now that it's working properly, it looks like a good operating system. I'm pleased with it. Still have to learn a few of the details about how to do certain things.

Mike

Al Launier
08-05-2015, 12:31 PM
I just reserved my copy to get it free, but will reserve judgement on when to actually install it after more review.

Curt Harms
08-06-2015, 9:43 AM
I just reserved my copy to get it free, but will reserve judgement on when to actually install it after more review.

For any machine that fits the "If this thing craps the bed, I got problems" classification, I wouldn't be in any hurry. I'd also create a full disk image and not count on the rollback function prior to upgrading.

Chuck Hart
08-08-2015, 1:28 AM
Being a retiree from 30 years in the computer business I always wait until the first service pack comes out on any new release. If you wait for the service pack 1 version you can be assured that the OS is stable. Good luck with early adoption. I stopped doing early changes to OS after Windows 2 (Windows 95) came out. It just wasn't worth doing all the update fixes every few weeks until it became stable. If you are not a big risk taker wait until the first service pack comes out.

William Adams
08-08-2015, 4:44 AM
Being a retiree from 30 years in the computer business I always wait until the first service pack comes out on any new release. If you wait for the service pack 1 version you can be assured that the OS is stable. Good luck with early adoption. I stopped doing early changes to OS after Windows 2 (Windows 95) came out. It just wasn't worth doing all the update fixes every few weeks until it became stable. If you are not a big risk taker wait until the first service pack comes out.

Apparently already available after a fashion?

There's a cumulative update some are calling ``windows 10 service release 1'': KB3081424