PDA

View Full Version : Two Small Vases of Seaside Mahoe

Toby Bouder
07-28-2015, 7:03 PM
Two small vases or pencil holders made from the Seaside Mahoe that my brother brought back from Key West FL. These are 4 inches high with a wax finish.

Brian Kent
07-28-2015, 7:14 PM
Very nice. I like the grain orientation. Never heard of that wood before.

Neil McWilliams
07-28-2015, 8:07 PM
I thought I had seen that wood before. Was gifted a piece of Hawaiian milo which exhibited an incredible array of colors when freshly turned - reds, purples and browns - but all those beautiful colors assume brown over time. Thanks to your entry and a little research, this wood, known scientifically as thespesia populnea, also goes by other common names: Portia tree, Indian Tulip Tree, seaside mahoe (Florida) and milo (Polynesia). But I never knew that it would grow in Florida, and better yet, is a non-invasive transplant. Everyone should try turning this if ever given the opportunity; it is a treat to turn.

Toby Bouder
07-28-2015, 8:41 PM
Thanks Brian.

Neil, yes I also love turning this wood. It cuts and sands well and polishes wonderfully. The piece that I got was already dry, it was in the scrap pile of a carver down in Key West. He gave it to my brother and said that I would like turning it, he was right.

robert baccus
07-28-2015, 10:59 PM
Only cut one fair sized piece from Hawaie? but it is very pretty and cuts well. Cannot find a source of the pretty wood though.

daryl moses
07-29-2015, 7:18 AM
Very nice!!

Randy Red Bemont
07-29-2015, 10:58 AM
A beautiful wood and a very nice turning(s).

Red

John Keeton
07-29-2015, 12:33 PM
...is a non-invasive transplant. Everyone should try turning this if ever given the opportunity; it is a treat to turn.Apparently, the Seaside Mahoe is invasive. http://plants.ifas.ufl.edu/node/448

However, it may not be the same wood you identified. Whatever the case, it is gorgeous wood!!

Ken Barney
07-29-2015, 1:50 PM
Looks a lot like Monkey Pod to me?