PDA

View Full Version : help laser cutting human head

Graham Taylor
07-28-2015, 12:32 PM
I have been asked if I can cut a 3D human head from acrylic similar to the one shown below but, if possible, with the acrylic virtical not horizontal.

The trouble is I am usnsure of how to start drawing the shapes required or if indeed there are any existing files out there that I could use.

If anyone has any advice or files they could share I would be very grateful. I know Google is my friend but I cant find antything that (to me) looks helpful

Thanks in advance

Scott Shepherd
07-28-2015, 12:39 PM
One of Autodesk's programs used to do that. 123D or something along those lines. It used to be cloud or stand alone, and I think they took the stand alone one away. You could pick the head model, then tell it how many slats in each direction you wanted and it would generate the flat file, ready to cut. At the time it was released, they didn't offer any services, but it looked like they began some cutting themselves or with a partnership and then they made it harder for you to use the file yourself, if I remember correctly. Search out 123D and related products from them.

They were all free at the time I played with them.

Doug Griffith
07-28-2015, 12:39 PM
I have been asked if I can cut a 3D human head from acrylic similar to the one shown below but, if possible, with the acrylic virtical not horizontal.

The trouble is I am usnsure of how to start drawing the shapes required or if indeed there are any existing files out there that I could use.

If anyone has any advice or files they could share I would be very grateful. I know Google is my friend but I cant find antything that (to me) looks helpful

Thanks in advance

If you have 3D CAD software, I'd draw the head then slice and dice vertically. Maybe hop over to GrabCAD for the initial head. From there, lay the pieces on the same flat plane, convert to surfaces, delete all but what you need, then convert to curves. From there, add your own notches. It's a bit of work but not too much.

Gary Hair
07-28-2015, 12:54 PM
Saw the title of the post, not expecting what I saw...

Scott Shepherd
07-28-2015, 1:01 PM
I think it's the 123D Make application.

Chuck Stone
07-28-2015, 1:40 PM
Saw the title of the post, not expecting what I saw...

Same here. First thought was "he'll need a couple of helpers to hold them still.."

At one time 123D offered a program called Catch (don't know if they still do, everything changed) and
you could take still photos from many different angles and it would stitch them together into a 3D
file you could rotate, tilt, pan etc. I still have two of the files, but could never do anything with them and
now I get stuck in a loop in their login screen.
But as I recall it would send you a 3D model of your photos too. You could shoot someone you know and
make slices from that. Don't know if this is still working or if they dumped it all. It was all by email at
the time

Kim McIntosh
07-28-2015, 6:58 PM
Hi Graham,
I had someone design something very similar to your original picture. Happy to flick you the file if you wish.
Kim

Graham Taylor
07-29-2015, 4:13 AM
Hi Graham,
I had someone design something very similar to your original picture. Happy to flick you the file if you wish.
Kim

Hi Kim,

It would be great if youi could send me the file.

Thanks,

Graham

Scott Shepherd
07-29-2015, 8:10 AM
Just for reference, here's 123D Make, which is free. I'm sure somewhere in there, there's somewhere for you to pay for something, like an upgraded account or something, but this was done in the free side. You have total control over the angles of the slices and the number of slices in each direction, along with different types of assemble methods, other than this slip joint.

Kim McIntosh
07-29-2015, 9:43 PM
Email message sent.

Bert Kemp
07-29-2015, 9:54 PM
Great Scott just jim dandy:p more sleepless nights playing and learning new software:D as if I didn't have enough to do trying to learn corel:confused: no you throw this at us, thanx ,thanx a lot!:eek:

Just for reference, here's 123D Make, which is free. I'm sure somewhere in there, there's somewhere for you to pay for something, like an upgraded account or something, but this was done in the free side. You have total control over the angles of the slices and the number of slices in each direction, along with different types of assemble methods, other than this slip joint.

Bill George
07-30-2015, 7:34 AM
FYI Autodesk 123D is for solid modeling, and I use for designs sent to my 3D printer. Yes its still a free download. Takes a pretty decent computer to run. This Lenovo T520 laptop with a SSD hard drive and 12 Gb of memory does a pretty decent job.

Graham Taylor
07-31-2015, 2:53 AM

Thanks for this, like Bert, it looks like I have another learning curve to tackle