PDA

View Full Version : Preparing wood before and after engraving.

Luke Puckett
07-28-2015, 10:21 AM
Hello, I'm wondering what others have found to be the best way to prep wood before engraving and what you do after it has been engraved? Do you your finish, clear coat, before engraving? If so what do you find to be the best to use? Do you use lacquer, shellac, or I have seen some use a type of bowling alley wax? Or do you do this after it has been engraved? Any of your tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Bill George
07-28-2015, 1:48 PM
Hello, I'm wondering what others have found to be the best way to prep wood before engraving and what you do after it has been engraved? Do you your finish, clear coat, before engraving? If so what do you find to be the best to use? Do you use lacquer, shellac, or I have seen some use a type of bowling alley wax? Or do you do this after it has been engraved? Any of your tips will be greatly appreciated. Thanks
I usually just give it a coat of clear lacquer, but sometimes a light sanding first blow off the dust and then the clear.

Bert Kemp
07-28-2015, 1:53 PM
Stain and clear coat your wood before engraving, after engraving seal the engraving with clear coat prior to any fills, seems to work best for me this way.

Keith Winter
07-28-2015, 4:06 PM
I've done shellac, lacquer, and also poly clear coats all work well. Increase your laser power a bit over what you'd normally use for bare wood when engraving.