PDA

View Full Version : Chinese laser problem; does not initialize or search for "home" when turned on

Roger Lueck
07-28-2015, 12:28 AM
Chinese laser - MornTech 3050 - 50 watt

I had used the machine yesterday and everything worked fine. Today when I turned the machine on, nothing. Below are observations during the attempt to power the machine up:

When the laser is turned "on" the LCD screen "lights up", however nothing appears on the LCD screen, screen is blank
When "powering up" the laser did not initialize / move to the "home position"
Attempted to "re-set" using the keypad, nothing
Attempted to test fire, nothing
Turned machine off and turned it on again, nothing, same as first attempt

My intent is to begin checking for loose connections tomorrow.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Any ideas?

Roger

Bill George
07-28-2015, 6:56 AM
Loose connections, power supply problems could be just about anything.

Jerome Stanek
07-28-2015, 7:33 AM
I had that happen on my Laser and found it was the control module. John at Automation Technologies helped diagnose the problem and said it was covered under the warranty and shipped out a new module the same day and had me ship my old one back when I received the new one. I was only down one day

Bill George
07-28-2015, 8:57 AM
I had that happen on my Laser and found it was the control module. John at Automation Technologies helped diagnose the problem and said it was covered under the warranty and shipped out a new module the same day and had me ship my old one back when I received the new one. I was only down one day

I don't think he purchased it from Automation Technologies, I'd guess eBay and he has to contact China vendor.

Ron Gosnell
07-28-2015, 11:45 AM
I've read elsewhere that people were having problems with the connector at the controller board. Unplug it and clean it
with alcohol or electrical cleaner. You are having the same symptoms that others were reporting.

Gozzie

Jerome Stanek
07-28-2015, 11:57 AM
I don't think he purchased it from Automation Technologies, I'd guess eBay and he has to contact China vendor.

I didn't mean to say he got it from Automation I was just telling him to check his controller as that is what was wrong with mine. the display would light but no info was there.

Rodne Gold
07-29-2015, 3:29 AM
sounds to me that the motherboard is foobared. Or the LCD display is the same...
They arent that expensive.. $300 or so for board and display . these are normally generic items ..so easy to source.

Roger Lueck
08-09-2015, 3:02 PM
Thanks to everyone for their suggestions. It is clear it is the main board that needs to be replaced.

Roger

Ray Scott
08-24-2015, 2:00 PM
Roger...

Hold on. Don't blame the controller yet.

Look down at the main motion controller. Are there any lights on?

Check the 24VDC power supply. Use a volt meter to find the actual voltage.

You might get lucky and find that the display is bad or the 24VDC power supply. I work with Rabbit Laser USA systems mostly, but I can give some advice for other import systems too. Most import laser systems are configured to turn on and sit still. They don't move until told to go to the home position or told to do something else. The command to move are normally through the operator pad. You can try to connect to the laser controller through the PC. The PC should be able to send all the normal commands that the Operator PAD can do.

If you can't connect to the controller from the PC.. maybe the problem is a power supply. You can look at the Windows Device Manager while the laser machine is turning on. Does the laser controller device driver load at all? Does the computer see that some device is trying to connect?

Thank You,

Rich Harman
08-24-2015, 4:33 PM
Most import laser systems are configured to turn on and sit still. They don't move until told to go to the home position or told to do something else. The command to move are normally through the operator pad.

All of the Chinese lasers that I have seen will home when first turned on. There is an option in the "Vendor Settings" to turn the homing off.

David Somers
08-24-2015, 4:59 PM
Rich and Scott,

That has been the case with my Chinese laser as well. It homes as part of its startup. Though you can give it a different home position if you want. I would have to go through some menus to see homing can be shut off.

Dave