PDA

View Full Version : 12" teak fiesta bowl

Bruce Jones
07-28-2015, 12:07 AM
Here's one I made tonight it's a Teak fiesta bowl ;anyone for some chips & salsa.
If anyone wants to see a few step by step photos please ask and I'll post them.
This is one for our new websites items.

Bruce

Brian Kent
07-28-2015, 12:24 AM
This is very nice, and I love the place for the salsa!

Steve Huffman
07-28-2015, 8:00 AM
Nice coloring in that wood and like the overall design. Is the foot on the bottom a glue block or just a different color variation? Nice work Bruce!!

Mike Goetzke
07-28-2015, 8:26 AM
Very nice job and I love the wood.

Yes, please post step-by-step photos!

Mike

Bruce Jones
07-28-2015, 8:30 AM
Nice coloring in that wood and like the overall design. Is the foot on the bottom a glue block or just a different color variation? Nice work Bruce!!Thank you Brian; Steve the bottom has a raised platform about 5/16" and the dish is cut out of one piece, yes I was very surprised while turning this piece at the grain that appeared, this blank looked very bland to start with.
That's one of the many things I really like about turning, to see what's hidden in side that often changes my piece.

Bruce

Doug Ladendorf
07-28-2015, 8:53 AM
A beautiful and useful piece Bruce. Perfect to integrate the class bowl. Looks like you are getting the most out of that lathe. :-)

Doug

Bruce Jones
07-28-2015, 12:09 PM
Thank you Doug,Mike and everyone for you kind comments; Yes this is the biggest piece I can swing over the bed; it just barely cleared you'll see that in the photos.
Here's the photos I took while turning this I hope this helps some of you to try one of these.

Bruce

Bruce Jones
07-28-2015, 12:23 PM
When I ready my blank I just use a chop saw to remove the material outside the circumference; this leaves me large triangles that will be used w/ other projects, I'll show these soon there being glued up now.
there's always a few other high points after doing it this way; the first cut is 45 degrees 4 times the next set of cuts 22.5 degrees 8 times and on a blank like this I had to do a set 11 degrees 16 times, then is almost round.
Here are two more photos.
If you would like me to show even more step by step on my next bowl ask, and I'll stop more often and snap a few showing the tool I'm using.

Bruce

Stan Smith
07-28-2015, 7:09 PM
Bruce, that bowl is so nice. I don't know if I could bring myself to put chips in it and cover up that nice grain. It's really a striking piece!

Bruce Jones
07-28-2015, 11:36 PM
Thank you Stan; I was pleasantly surprised once I started turning because it looked to be a very plane piece of Teak, this dish will go on our new website and will be sold.

I have another piece from the same board I think I'll make another one, I have a feeling these will sell very well.

Bruce

Allan Wright
07-30-2015, 9:23 PM
Always great when a beautiful piece is also functional. Nice work!

Bruce Jones
07-30-2015, 10:17 PM
Always great when a beautiful piece is also functional. Nice work!Thank you Allan I have another piece think I'll make another one to put on our new web site.
Bruce