PDA

View Full Version : Lumber and/or Mills near Kansas City?

Lee Bussy
07-27-2015, 5:42 PM
Hi all.

I'm looking for a recommendation for picking up some wood near or within a reasonable drive from Kansas City. Right now I am looking to source some 5/4 quartersawn red oak - but I imagine I'll need more eventually. Probably need ~40 BF if I had to guess.

Any recommendations?

(I do know about Metro Hardwoods - I'll go there if I have to or if that's the best place.)

joe milana
07-27-2015, 6:43 PM
Lee, give Dustin at simpsons sawmill (now called one family hardwoods) a call. They are a few miles south of st joseph. They are acomdating to small orders, esp. If you call ahead. If that doesnt work, pm me. I may be able to help

Lee Bussy
07-27-2015, 7:18 PM
Lee, give Dustin at simpsons sawmill (now called one family hardwoods) a call. They are a few miles south of st joseph. They are acomdating to small orders, esp. If you call ahead. If that doesnt work, pm me. I may be able to help
Thank you sir, I'll do that.

BOB OLINGER
07-28-2015, 8:11 AM
I use Liberty Hardwoods in Ankeny, IA which has a location in KC. I suggest to look them up.

Lee Bussy
07-28-2015, 8:51 AM
I use Liberty Hardwoods in Ankeny, IA which has a location in KC. I suggest to look them up.
I thought I'd "heard" that Liberty is now Metro Hardwoods?

I don't even mind driving as far as Ankeny for this project though, but of course I'd like to avoid it if possible. :)

Scott Brandstetter
07-28-2015, 9:26 AM
Just googled sawmills near Kansas city and "The Sawmill" came up north east, Thompson sawmill on the west, and Stottlemire south. I didn't go to their websites but this is how I found a few in Ky. Good luck.

Lee Bussy
07-28-2015, 10:09 AM
I certainly did that. My concern is that using something that's not purchased as S4S is new to me so I an hoping to skip any heartache that could be caused by my inexperience.

Mark Henshaw
07-28-2015, 2:29 PM
Lee,
I routinely by from both Simpsons and Liberty Hardwoods as I live in St Joe but work in North Kansas City. Simpsons is an actual sawmill so they do not have all of the support staff that you will find in a typical hardwood distributor. I do not know if they have the ability to S4S the lumber as I always buy rough. Liberty Hardwoods is located close to the Worlds of Fun amusement park in North Kansas City and sell multiple types of hardwood and plywood to the cabinet shops in surrounding areas. They sell most of their lumber in the S4S state. Both companies have competitive pricing, good quality wood and will sell small quantities to the hobbyist if you call ahead.
Mark

Stan Calow
07-28-2015, 3:59 PM
There's also a place called Urban Hardwoods on 40 Highway that specializes in salvaging urban trees. Should be plenty after that storm a few weeks ago.
In the past I found a webpage on Missouri Department of Natural Resources that showed sawmills by county.

Chris Cohick
07-28-2015, 4:25 PM
There's also a place called Urban Hardwoods on 40 Highway that specializes in salvaging urban trees. Should be plenty after that storm a few weeks ago.
In the past I found a webpage on Missouri Department of Natural Resources that showed sawmills by county.

I've been to Urban Lumber. They have some really nice stuff. Ask for Tony.

Chuck Saunders
07-29-2015, 8:45 AM
I thought I'd "heard" that Liberty is now Metro Hardwoods?

:)

Metro Hardwoods is the retail store of Liberty Hardwoods. Jeff runs a good store and is very helpful.

Chuck Saunders
07-29-2015, 8:48 AM
I've been to Urban Lumber. They have some really nice stuff. Ask for Tony.

Urban Lumber is a great place, they deal in yard trees and tend to cut 4/4 and slabs. Pretty much log run. 5/4 and quartersawn kept me from suggesting them. Otherwise thumbs up

Chris Cohick
07-29-2015, 8:54 AM
Urban Lumber is a great place, they deal in yard trees and tend to cut 4/4 and slabs. Pretty much log run. 5/4 and quartersawn kept me from suggesting them. Otherwise thumbs up

I think they will do quartersawn if you ask them. It may take a while to get it dried if they don't have any in stock, but red oak they generally have on hand.

Lee Bussy
07-29-2015, 3:01 PM
Good info, I appreciate the assist!

Had no idea there were so many KC folks here.

John McClanahan
07-29-2015, 5:23 PM
Good info, I appreciate the assist!

Had no idea there were so many KC folks here.

I was thinking the same thing!

John