PDA

View Full Version : Just playing again, this time with white oak..

steven c newman
07-27-2015, 5:17 PM
Rehabbed a few planes, fellow swapped some white oak planks for it. Decided to try ad at least make something out of it....now that the fellows five saws are also done. :eek:

Ripped a plank or two down to make Stiles and rails. The Boss wanted an enclosed end table, with a shelf and a door.. Top is a 2 board glue up. 7/8" thick, this will be one heavy son-of-a ...gun

Frame & panel for the three sides, two long ones, and a narrow one for the end without a door. Got the frames all miled up, awaiting the raised panels.....oops, better make a few of those
A Millers Falls No.9 set a bit deep. Going at a diagonal to the grain. A stop line is about 1-3/8" in from each edge. I plane until a scrap block fits all the way into a groove
Then do the other end. That left the two edges to do. Switched to a longer plane
the one behind the #9 is a Stanley T-17 No.5-1/2. It worked, but later on, I switched to a #6c T-10. made a few of these panels, and started a glue up
Workbench is now a clamping bench? There is a jig at the bottomof this mess. Just three boards, but, it holds not only the stiles while I was chopping mortises, it will hold a set up like this until I can get things clamped up. Let one panel set up over night, come back the next day, and do it all over again. Two more raised panels made. had some "leftovers" sitting around. Went to work on them to make a narrow end panel.

Today: Got a second raised panel made for the narrow end panel. I also trimmed the two larger ones. The needed a little fine tuning. Once that was done, I set them aside, hopefully out of my way..
Ah..yeah. Still have some work to do around that knot. A little bit bigger than ToolChest #1
Clamping bench set up. raised panel #1 turned out to be too long, adjusted that, one edge was too thick..adjusted that. Finally, got things to go together..almost
This is the "good" end, joints are nice and tight and square...however, up at the top, a gap was sitting there..
Chisel to split off a sliver of oak, sized about right. Cut to length. A dab of Elmers, and two c clamps. There is a filler strip on both sides, clamps are pushing against both. When this mess cures, I can plane the excess flush. Then get to work fine tuning all three panels to work together..

Then, maybe I can figure out a door, and a bottom shelf and it's support. Oh, and, attach a top.

Just playin with oak...been awhile:D

Nick Stokes
07-27-2015, 5:44 PM
Looks like a ton of fun. I'm jealous of your skill in raising that panel. Mine don't look near as good... need more practice.

steven c newman
07-28-2015, 10:27 AM
Took the narrow side out of the clamps yesterday...top glue joint tried to open back up. Reclamped, and added a trio of 5/8" long brads to the "inside" of the joint. Let it set for awhile. After supper, took the thing back out..
Got the joints all flushed and smoothed out. There is a "filler strip" where the center rail came up a bit short. Just split off a bit of oak, and glued it in. Needed to take a couple measurements, and trace the foot details. Used a scrollsaw on 7/8" thick white oak.....saw didn't like it, coping would've just gave up. Came out like this..
One for each side. "plan" was to add a foot detail in front, under the door. It will also hide the edge of the shelf, and it's cleat it will sit on. Needed an oak 1x2 to fit between these two "feet" pieces. So, how to join these three?
Well, we saw a chunk out of each foot, first.
This was done by eye. Went down a bit, trying to keep the No.5 backsaw level. Almost had to wax the toothline before each cut. Blade still got a bit hot. Wound up with this, after a chisel chopped out the center.
That strip of oak in the background? Well,it needed to be cut to length. Then the cheeks cut, and pared smooth. Time to tune the fit, and start gluing this mess together
Didn't matter much which was the inside face. Single brad into each joint to pin it. Added the second clamp because the feet had spread out over a 1/4"!
Clamped the clamp in the leg vise, to keep it in place. Had to pull the feet together to match the top. About 5/16" or so later....top= 2-15/16", bottom= 2-15/16" a few hammer taps to make sure things were sitting flat, and called it a night.

Maybe today, maybe, I can start a bit of assembly? Get some cleats to hold the shelf made. Bracket to hold the top made? Then maybe, just maybe a door? Still using that Single Brain Cell Sketch-up for a plan (Plan? We don't need no stinking plan!)

At this rate....maybe a finish of some sort in about...a week?

Nick Stokes
07-28-2015, 10:46 AM
I love this work. I love everything about it.

steven c newman
07-28-2015, 12:45 PM
Leveled the playing fields on the slab top, both faces
Needed to do a test fit of sorts
yep, going to be a biggem

Just held with clamps for now. Need to do a bit more measuring. Top is 7/8" thick. Open end will have a door, per Boss' orders.

Will Boulware
07-28-2015, 1:32 PM
Nicely done, sir! Thanks for sharing the process.

steven c newman
07-29-2015, 11:55 AM
Went back and made some counter-bored holes. Then some pilot holes. Spread a bit of Elmers...drive some screws....and
Dis a bit of assembly work. Open end is for the door. Bar across the top? Besides the clap? More of a way to tie the top edges in place, and add some corner blocks
Glued and screwed in place. Will add a slotted hole later. Slot for attaching the top. Allows the top to expand and contract. Like the collection of screwdrivers?
As for the bottom under the doorway?
Glued on a cleat. Will add the other three cleats later. Cleats are to attach the plywood floor in place. Yeah, yeah, but the Boss have a LOT of heavy books she wants to place in this end table...
Had an issue with the feet, though. Those 1-1/4" screws that worked just fine elsewhere, were too long down in the foot areas..
Had to pull them back out, and use 3/4" long ones. Left the table's top on the bench's top. Made a wider work area. I could also check how it was sitting on the top....flat, of course...

Have a bunch of parts still to mill up. A 7/8" thick plank of white oak to cut up into a few parts, and a 1/2" plank for the rest of the door panels. Maybe by this weekend, I might be about ready to finish this thing?

Type of finish? That is for the Boss to decide. Rest of the Living Room tables are "Golden Oak" flavour....

Chris Hachet
07-29-2015, 12:03 PM
Rehabbed a few planes, fellow swapped some white oak planks for it. Decided to try ad at least make something out of it....now that the fellows five saws are also done. :eek:

Ripped a plank or two down to make Stiles and rails. The Boss wanted an enclosed end table, with a shelf and a door.. Top is a 2 board glue up. 7/8" thick, this will be one heavy son-of-a ...gun

Frame & panel for the three sides, two long ones, and a narrow one for the end without a door. Got the frames all miled up, awaiting the raised panels.....oops, better make a few of those
A Millers Falls No.9 set a bit deep. Going at a diagonal to the grain. A stop line is about 1-3/8" in from each edge. I plane until a scrap block fits all the way into a groove
Then do the other end. That left the two edges to do. Switched to a longer plane
the one behind the #9 is a Stanley T-17 No.5-1/2. It worked, but later on, I switched to a #6c T-10. made a few of these panels, and started a glue up
Workbench is now a clamping bench? There is a jig at the bottomof this mess. Just three boards, but, it holds not only the stiles while I was chopping mortises, it will hold a set up like this until I can get things clamped up. Let one panel set up over night, come back the next day, and do it all over again. Two more raised panels made. had some "leftovers" sitting around. Went to work on them to make a narrow end panel.

Today: Got a second raised panel made for the narrow end panel. I also trimmed the two larger ones. The needed a little fine tuning. Once that was done, I set them aside, hopefully out of my way..
Ah..yeah. Still have some work to do around that knot. A little bit bigger than ToolChest #1
Clamping bench set up. raised panel #1 turned out to be too long, adjusted that, one edge was too thick..adjusted that. Finally, got things to go together..almost
This is the "good" end, joints are nice and tight and square...however, up at the top, a gap was sitting there..
Chisel to split off a sliver of oak, sized about right. Cut to length. A dab of Elmers, and two c clamps. There is a filler strip on both sides, clamps are pushing against both. When this mess cures, I can plane the excess flush. Then get to work fine tuning all three panels to work together..

Then, maybe I can figure out a door, and a bottom shelf and it's support. Oh, and, attach a top.

Just playin with oak...been awhile:D

I have plenty of oak shorts in my shop if you run short!

steven c newman
07-30-2015, 9:54 AM
Currently have a decent pile of both oak and maple "shorts"

Used the saw bench yesterday, to rip some 7/8" x 3" by 2' rails and stiles for the door for this project.....That was the "good" part..

For some reason, I tried out bridel(sp?) joints for the door build.....begining to hate those kind of joints
May have been the swirly/squirrelly grain? Chisel cuts went whatever way they wanted to. Even the backsaw was acting up.

This will take an all day faniggalling to get the door looking passable..
If it won't snap out of this messy attitude...might just toss it out, and make another...May have to think on this one for a bit....

steven c newman
07-30-2015, 2:07 PM
Well, good news is..the door can be fixed. Took awhile, though

Counterbored holes now have oak plugs, matched to the grain, pared flat.

Cleats for the floor are installed, awaiting the floor install

The other two corner blocks are installed. Need to make a slotted hole in each, so I can attach that HEAVY top.

May need to find a knob for the door..and a latch of some sort. Have the hinges ready to go. We be getting close to the "Finishing" line...

steven c newman
07-30-2015, 5:11 PM
PIP time!
Awaiting to hear from the Boss what flavour she wants as a finish. Been a LONG day...

Pat Barry
07-31-2015, 8:13 AM
Nice work Steve. This is an end table, right?

For some reason, I tried out bridel(sp?) joints for the door build.....begining to hate those kind of joints

I agree - the bridle joint, like the half lap joint that I am using / have used for similar doors, take way too many clamps. I counted 8 total on the last doors I built. One heavy spring clip in each corner to hold the joint faces together, one bar clamp top to bottom at each corner, and one more bar clamp left to right at each corner. Not only clumsy to do but always feel rushed to get the clamps in place and adjusted to get things right.

steven c newman
07-31-2015, 10:43 AM
Boss did want an enclosed end table, to hide all of her old books in. Trying now to talk her out of ....PAINTING the table. Even a coat of smelly BLO would be better than that!

steven c newman
08-01-2015, 10:11 AM
Yep, moved it upstairs to where it will call home yesterday...
This side had matching knots in the raised panels
I think I got the door to actually fit
And..it even works!
She has already filled up the top. Those are her slippers sitting there. I guess she must like it?

have her leaning more towards a light gray stain/wash coat. Maybe I can add a top coat, too...

Finishing supplies will be about all the $$$ spent on this project. Time? Just my ample spare time I have now.

steven c newman
08-03-2015, 1:24 PM
She wants to try a Rustoleum Wood stain called Willow....Ok

Will try it on the inside of the door, to see what happens...after lunch...Film @ 2300hrs

steven c newman
08-06-2015, 3:19 PM
Didn't happen, she has way too much stuff either ON the end table, or inside it. IF I can get her to MOVE some of HER junk out of my way......maybe later...