PDA

View Full Version : Computer PDF Question.

Clarence Martin
07-27-2015, 3:08 PM
OK, I am USUALLY pretty good with a computer !! But this one has me stumped!! Got an email with some PDF files attached to them. Had no trouble opening them before, but now when I clicked on the email to open the PDF, it directs me to something called Google Drive. I have always used Open Office to view PDF files. How do I open these files without Google Drive ????

William Adams
07-27-2015, 3:13 PM
Are you certain it isn’t trying to download a .pdf stored on a Google Drive?

Bruce Pratt
07-27-2015, 3:13 PM
You may have inadvertently saved them to Google drive on the first opening. If you think you downloaded them, check your hard drive (download folder) using the search window from the Windows start icon.

Clarence Martin
07-27-2015, 3:19 PM
Are you certain it isn’t trying to download a .pdf stored on a Google Drive?

That IS what I think is happening ! I don't have Google Drive. Never heard of it before.

Larry Browning
07-27-2015, 3:49 PM
Google Drive is the same kind of thing as Microsoft's OneDrive, it is cloud storage. So what it is asking you to do is open this file which is being stored on Google Drive. I guess it sort of depends on how much you really want these files. Would it be possible to ask the person who sent you the email to resend it? This time save the attachments to your hard drive before opening.

Brian Elfert
07-27-2015, 4:11 PM
If you have Gmail I think you get Google Drive by default.

Myk Rian
07-27-2015, 8:11 PM
The person that sent you the e-mail has those files on Google drive, and has given you permission to view them.
You were sent a link to the files, not the files themselves.
I have a Drive account, and store many pictures, documents, etc there. I can access them anywhere I have Inet access.

Greg R Bradley
07-27-2015, 8:29 PM
The person that sent you the e-mail has those files on Google drive, and has given you permission to view them.
You were sent a link to the files, not the files themselves.
I have a Drive account, and store many pictures, documents, etc there. I can access them anywhere I have Inet access.
And we have a winner........"You were sent a link to the files, not the files themselves."

Larry Browning
07-28-2015, 10:51 AM
And we have a winner........"You were sent a link to the files, not the files themselves."

Well, except for this part.....

Got an email with some PDF files attached to them. Had no trouble opening them before, but now when I clicked on the email to open the PDF, it directs me to something called Google Drive.

He seems to be saying he was able to open the pdf once, but not after that. If it were a link, wouldn't he have never been able to open it? Or, does he mean that he has been able to open pdf files in the past, but not this one. Maybe he can clarify this statement.

Greg R Bradley
07-28-2015, 12:04 PM
Larry,
Good point.
But it seems unlikely that he has Google Drive and never heard of it.
Many email clients let you open a link to a file without it being obvious it is a link.

Joel Goodman
07-28-2015, 2:03 PM
On gmail there is a choice "save to drive' or "download" (an arrow facing down) -- the "save to drive" is actually a cloud drive -- if you want to store it locally then download and open in "downloads" and then "save as" to some convenient place so you can find it easily later.

Clarence Martin
07-28-2015, 3:10 PM
Well, except for this part.....

He seems to be saying he was able to open the pdf once, but not after that. If it were a link, wouldn't he have never been able to open it? Or, does he mean that he has been able to open pdf files in the past, but not this one. Maybe he can clarify this statement.

I have always been able to open the PDF emails in the past, but I got sent an email with a PDF attached to it recently . That sender used their Google Gmail account and they used that Google Drive. I never had a Google account and never heard of Google Drive. So, this was all new to me.

Larry Browning
07-28-2015, 4:33 PM
I have always been able to open the PDF emails in the past, but I got sent an email with a PDF attached to it recently . That sender used their Google Gmail account and they used that Google Drive. I never had a Google account and never heard of Google Drive. So, this was all new to me.

Ok, so you have never been able to open this particular pdf file. Then, I would say you either need to get a Google account or have the email sender resend the email and actually attach the pdf to the email instead of just sending a link. That is about your only 2 options. Oh, one more, just forget about viewing the pdf.

Chuck Wintle
07-29-2015, 6:37 AM

if you right mouse click on the file attachment and choose "save download" to desktop or something to that effect.