PDA

View Full Version : Life of a lasertube Please need good information trying to solve a possible issue

Craig Matheny
07-27-2015, 12:24 PM
This is for those with USA made tubes not interested in life span on glass tubes for Chinese machines. I have 2 Epilog Lasers 45 watt and 60 watt love them to death except for the life of their tubes. We go through laser tubes every 18 months or so yes warranty covers the replacement but I am now on tube 4 for a 2012 machine. I want this to be very clear Epilog has stood behind their tubes with no issue but we can not figure out the issue. Is the unit to close to the wall to hot run to much ???? Also these units ran on new 110 v 20 amp dedicated IGL wiring and we have them now on new 220 20 amp dedicated circuit for the last year.

I cut Baltic birch plywood and run the machines 8 hours a day max indoors temp 76 deg, When we had these machines at the theme park they where in 90 deg weather, ran 10+ hours a day and same issues so I think the issue is usage and life of tube. The settings on the 45 watt laser are 100% power speed 25% on the 60 watt laser power is 100% and 30% speed freq from 500 - 1200 on both units depends on the function. The machines get a break between each pattern for about 5 min and they may run up to 30 minutes straight between reloads

So question is how long does your tubes last what is the speed and power, how close to the back wall and what is the air temp you have (I am not looking for scientific information trying to see what I might do to improve the life of the tube)

Gary Hair
07-27-2015, 1:22 PM
I know my machine is a bit of an anomaly, but it is still going strong after 9 years! It was in my house for the first year where temps were rarely above 85, a shop the 2nd and 3rd year where temps would vary from 75 to 90, then back at the house for the next 5-1/2 years. I'm back in a shop now and the temps are ranging from 65 to 90. I run it with all kinds of settings and have had plenty of days where it runs continuously for 8-10 hours without a break. My laser sits at least 12"-18" away from the wall and there is plenty of airflow around it, can't get much closer with the exhaust duct. I have a new machine on order because I'm waiting for the inevitable death of this machine, at least the tube anyway, and can't afford to be without.

For your machine to eat tubes every 18 months tells me there is something very wrong with either the machine or the tubes.

John Noell
07-27-2015, 1:27 PM
My Epilog mini has had tubes last from less than six months to more than two years (and counting). I went thru three replacements in about 18 months. Yes, Epilog replaced two of them under warranty, but (!!!), over here we pay duty and VAT (15%) on the full VALUE of the tube, even if it is a free warranty replacement. The Epilog has been a very expensive machine.

Craig Matheny
07-27-2015, 2:01 PM
For your machine to eat tubes every 18 months tells me there is something very wrong with either the machine or the tubes.
That is what I am trying to figure out my laser sits 8" from the wall but the last 4 years 5 feet from the closest wall

Mike Null
07-27-2015, 4:02 PM
My ULS lasted 3 years and was replaced in warranty. The second lasted until I sold the machine 5 years later and beyond. My Trotec lasted more than 8 years before I had it re-manufactured. My temperature is 75 degrees +/- 5 degrees. Both machines set about 6" from the wall.

My competitor has a Trotec 45 watt and his tube is 9+ years old. His machine gets about twice the use of mine. In both cases most of our work is rastering.

Bill George
07-27-2015, 4:21 PM
Is it re cycling the warm discharge air back into the intake air duct(s)?

Steve Clarkson
07-27-2015, 4:32 PM
The tubes on my 45 watt Epilog generally seem to last 2-3 years (juuuuuust long enough NOT to be under warranty). My Rep told me once that a tube goes faster if you vector cut a lot. And if it's any consolation, I cut 1/8" birch at 100P/15S with mine. Oh, and I'm 5' from the wall and 75 or so degrees, but I really don't think those are your issue.

Mark Sipes
07-27-2015, 5:01 PM
My 25w Synrad lasted 4 years. The unit was a demo model and I got a good price. Sent the tube to Synrad for refurbish, 3 days it was back tuned and recharged. Asked the tech who charged the system how long a CO2 laser should last. He stated a fully charged/tuned tube should last 32,000 hours of continuous use. Not sure if he was just speaking about 25W tubes or not. Sounded far fetched eitherway... but I am well into 12 years on the tube. He could not explain why the original charge only lasted 4 years.... Data since last charge,

Craig Matheny
07-27-2015, 5:31 PM
Is it re cycling the warm discharge air back into the intake air duct(s)? That is one of my thoughts thinking of putting a divider between the machine and the wall to separate the areas

Craig Matheny
07-27-2015, 5:36 PM
Hey keep the info coming this is great.. Those with the Epilog units have you talked to Epilog on this issue as I am talking to them and lead to believe I am the only one with these issues.

Scott Shepherd
07-27-2015, 5:49 PM
Those with the Epilog units have you talked to Epilog on this issue as I am talking to them and lead to believe I am the only one with these issues.

Well, that's a bunch of hooey. Epilog seems to be famous for telling people "you're the only one with this issue", meanwhile, there are 100 other people like you calling. A friend with an Epilog called me less than a year ago and asked me how long I thought a tube should last. I gave him my reply, and he proceeded to tell me that Epilog tech support had told him they only lasted for a certain number of hours, and that number was relatively low. I told him that it made no sense because that would mean anyone that was running a machine daily would burn up 1 tube prior to going out of warranty. If my memory serves me correctly, he contacted them again for clarification and was told the same thing again.

He also had some issues and was told "you're the only one with this issues", then he located a number of people that were having the same issues, so I wouldn't trust that comment from them.

You're already seeing evidence on this thread that you're not the only one having this issue.

Craig Matheny
07-27-2015, 6:58 PM
Well, that's a bunch of hooey. Epilog seems to be famous for telling people "you're the only one with this issue", meanwhile, there are 100 other people like you calling. A friend with an Epilog called me less than a year ago and asked me how long I thought a tube should last. I gave him my reply, and he proceeded to tell me that Epilog tech support had told him they only lasted for a certain number of hours, and that number was relatively low. I told him that it made no sense because that would mean anyone that was running a machine daily would burn up 1 tube prior to going out of warranty. If my memory serves me correctly, he contacted them again for clarification and was told the same thing again.

He also had some issues and was told "you're the only one with this issues", then he located a number of people that were having the same issues, so I wouldn't trust that comment from them.

You're already seeing evidence on this thread that you're not the only one having this issue.
Scott I never for a minute bought the I'm the only one but I figured I would get some public opinion on this issue.

Glen Monaghan
07-27-2015, 7:31 PM
On my 35W Epilog TT (for sale! check classifieds! ;^), the first tube lasted 5 years and the current tube is still going strong with no sign of problems after 9 years. On my 35W Epilog mini, I opted to replace the tube after 9 years because the power had dropped enough that I was running the machine at about 60% of the usual speed, and then the beam started randomly failing to fire during jobs, briefly, once or twice a day. The new tube is only a few months old and performing well.

Dave Sheldrake
07-27-2015, 8:04 PM
He stated a fully charged/tuned tube should last 32,000 hours of continuous use.

True.....sort of....it can last UP TO 32,000 hrs but what you have been told is one of my biggest dislikes in the laser industry, UP TO being liberally exchanged for WILL LAST, it's part of the reason I opt for glass tubes most of the time, compared to my RF machines they tend to work then just die rather than cause me problems intermittently.

Craig, see if you can measure the intake air temp? RF units hate running hot, if anything even more than glass tubes :(

Craig Matheny
07-27-2015, 8:31 PM
Craig, see if you can measure the intake air temp? RF units hate running hot, if anything even more than glass tubes :(
Thanks Dave I have a thermometer with a probe somewhere that sites on the fins of the laser tube itself and read from 79 - 85 most of the time

marty mcdonald
07-30-2015, 9:00 AM
Hi guys,
I have a question related to the life of a laser tube and thought this would be the place to post my question.
I bought a VersaLaser VL200 back in 2004. I used it for maybe a total of 200 hours tops. Then it sat unused for far too many years.
I'm trying to find some motivation and get it going again and the red laser light shows on the material, but it doesn't etch or cut at all.
Is there a chance that the tube has lost all of its gas and I need to replace it?
Marty

Richard Rumancik
07-30-2015, 9:49 AM
Marty - sure, it's possible, but you want to check out any other possibilities first. How was the laser stored? Was it stored "inside" i.e. normal environment for operation? If it experienced severe temperature swings that would be detrimental to the tube.

Did you check all the optics and align the mirrors? If not you need to do that. Check for output at the source (direct output from the tube.) You might also go into the diagnostic procedure and do test burns.

marty mcdonald
07-30-2015, 11:40 AM
Thanks, Richard. That (the red laser light showing but not etching/cutting/engraving anything) was happening several months ago. Now that I've gotten back to try again, I've taken a step backwards. Now the machine won't even power on. I have it connected directly to a 110v outlet (no extension cord or surge protector) but nothing happens when I hit the power button.
I remember getting new ceramic fuses years ago when I was having an issue, so the fuses should be good.
Any ideas for me to try? This is pathetic ;)

Chuck Phillips
07-30-2015, 1:34 PM
We vector cut 1/8" acrylic daily with a 60W Epilog Helix. Our tubes last 6 months to 2 years. They replace about every other tube under warranty. I remove the back of the machine and clean the fans and fins once a month. There is about 1 foot clearance between the machine and wall. Shop temp is 70-84 deg. F.

Epilog support is top notch - but I have also been led to believe I'm the only one. The last time we discussed tube life, it was all about how close I am to the wall and air flow. The air is constantly circulating in the shop so I don't really buy it. The 3-4 year advertised tube life is about how often I pay for one.

Lee DeRaud
07-30-2015, 2:58 PM
Hi guys,
I have a question related to the life of a laser tube and thought this would be the place to post my question.
I bought a VersaLaser VL200 back in 2004. I used it for maybe a total of 200 hours tops. Then it sat unused for far too many years.
I'm trying to find some motivation and get it going again and the red laser light shows on the material, but it doesn't etch or cut at all.
Is there a chance that the tube has lost all of its gas and I need to replace it?
MartyI've got an early-2005 VL200, first tube lasted until 2009, second one is still in it, going strong, although I admittedly don't use the machine as much as I did 6-8 years ago. But FWIW, the distributor who sold me the machine originally said tube life was on the order of 4 years whether you run it continuously or just a couple hours a week.

Let's see, 4 years * 365 * 24 is near enough 35000 hours...YMMV.

Lee DeRaud
07-30-2015, 3:02 PM
Thanks Dave I have a thermometer with a probe somewhere that sites on the fins of the laser tube itself and read from 79 - 85 most of the timeThese are the greatest thing since sliced bread for finding hot spots in machinery:
http://www.harborfreight.com/non-contact-infrared-thermometer-with-laser-targeting-61894.html