PDA

View Full Version : PLease run my club for me

Bert Kemp
07-26-2015, 10:40 PM
I wrote this note to Shooting Range that was looking for money to make improvements to their club. See their reply at the bottom. Is it me or is there something wrong with their thinking.:confused:

I was on your site and saw that the club was looking for donations to help with upkeep and range safety. I saw nowhere to make a donation. Did you ever think to offer paypal for donations? A donation button on each page of your website or at least the main page is sure to help get some donations. FYI I am in AZ and was looking at shooting ranges and gun clubs in NH so when I visit I had a place to go shoot.

BK

Thanks for your input. PayPal doesn't suit our needs, we get donations in check form. We are a members only club. If you would care to join, please follow the instructions on our website.

name removed for privacy
President

Phil Thien
07-26-2015, 10:53 PM
Maybe it is because PayPal is pretty anti-gun:

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/helpcenter/helphub/article/?articleID=FAQ585&m=SRE

Moses Yoder
07-27-2015, 4:40 AM
I think that is double speak for "We have so much money coming in with just checks that there is no need for us to learn how to use PayPal."

roger wiegand
07-27-2015, 1:41 PM
Yet another blatant violation of Wiegand's First Rule of Retail "Make it easy for people to give you money".

Run into it all the time, and can't even begin to understand why both fundraisers and businesses throw up obstacles to taking money from people. I'm down to about two paper checks a month, and am seriously considering jettisoning the people who won't take my money online.

Pat Barry
07-27-2015, 1:46 PM
I think that is double speak for "We have so much money coming in with just checks that there is no need for us to learn how to use PayPal."

More likely they don't want any outsiders poking around in their business

Scott DelPorte
07-27-2015, 2:21 PM
Hi Bert,
I belong to a club in NH that sounds similar to this. It is staffed by volunteers, and operates unattended most of the time. You have to join in person so you can get a safety check and orientation of the facilities before they give out the combination to the front gate with your membership. If you are a local guy who wants to use the different ranges, and maybe participate in some of the leagues or trainings (some of which are open to the public), it works very well. It also gets loaned out to the local police department once a week so they can have range practice, which is good for our community. Dues are really low and participation in volunteer work days (clean ups, site improvements etc.) is surprisingly high. It has been operating this way since the 1940's. So while they don't take online payment, and prefer checks to cash, it suits the needs of many in our area.

If you find yourself in the western part of the state near Vermont, you can look me up and if I am around (and not traveling for work), you are welcome to be my guest. Its free to be a guest, but if you make a habit of it, they want you to come to a monthly meeting and become a member. :)
Thanks
Scott

Scott Hearn
07-27-2015, 5:01 PM

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/helpcenter/helphub/article/?articleID=FAQ585&m=SRE

I would strongly suspect this. PayPal will close your account if they find you are doing firearms related transactions. I know my club would never consider using them.

Art Mann
07-28-2015, 9:46 PM

Thanks for the link, Phil. My use of paypal has just ended.

John A langley
07-28-2015, 11:50 PM
pay pal is history

Kev Williams
07-29-2015, 1:33 AM
Ya know fellas, before knee-jerking your paypal accounts because you think they're just a buncha tree-huggin' liberal hippies, did you ever stop to think maybe they just don't want all the hassle that online firearms sales can involve? Or the liabilities they may face if some lawyer decides to sue them if someone sells a stolen gun thru a paypal store that ends up killing someone? By stating that they won't allow firearms sales, now they're not liable even when people DO.

I doubt very much paypal would care much about being a vehicle for collecting donations for a shooting club, since there's no firearms sales going on. They do allow paintball and airsoft rifle sales. If they were truly anti-gun, they wouldn't allow sales of those either...

a little fluff reading about buying guns online: http://www.wikihow.com/Buy-a-Gun-Online

And many people don't like paying paypal a 3% cut. Could be that's all there is to it.

For the record, I have 3 revolvers, a .22 rifle and a 12 gauge in the house... :)

Brian Elfert
07-29-2015, 10:33 AM
I bet having a Paypal link for donations would increase donations by at least 3%. Getting 97% of a donation is better than one you don't get at all. For just donations a Paypal button is really easy to add to a website.

I am a volunteer for a club that sells t-shirts periodically. We take pre-orders by mail or in person at our monthly events. A few members complained we don't have online sales of the shirts. It is a lot more work than people think to build even a simple online site that takes orders through Paypal. There are numerous sites that will take online orders and produce shirts for clubs and non-profits. The problem is my club right now makes a minimum $5 profit per shirt even if we sell as few as 12 shirts. The online sites I have looked at we would make zero or negative profit for 12 shirts. If I could do 50 shirts per order then I am back to making $5 per shirt.

We are going to look at online sales for this winter.

Art Mann
07-29-2015, 12:12 PM
Ya know fellas, before knee-jerking your paypal accounts because you think they're just a buncha tree-huggin' liberal hippies, did you ever stop to think maybe they just don't want all the hassle that online firearms sales can involve? Or the liabilities they may face if some lawyer decides to sue them if someone sells a stolen gun thru a paypal store that ends up killing someone? By stating that they won't allow firearms sales, now they're not liable even when people DO.

I doubt very much paypal would care much about being a vehicle for collecting donations for a shooting club, since there's no firearms sales going on. They do allow paintball and airsoft rifle sales. If they were truly anti-gun, they wouldn't allow sales of those either...

a little fluff reading about buying guns online: http://www.wikihow.com/Buy-a-Gun-Online

And many people don't like paying paypal a 3% cut. Could be that's all there is to it.

For the record, I have 3 revolvers, a .22 rifle and a 12 gauge in the house... :)

The page Phil linked to does not lead me to believe that the only reason they are refusing to transfer funds is the fear of liability. Their decision is ultimately a political one and I don't want to do business with people who holds those political views. There are other ways to transfer funds that don't involve a political agenda.