PDA

View Full Version : What Would You Do?

Bryan Cramer
07-26-2015, 8:43 PM
I have a client that would like me to make some furniture out of his three walnut trees that he cut down. I don't know the lengths but they are about 14" or so in diameter. They were cut this spring and are waiting at a local sawmill. The plan was to kiln dry the wood but I don't know yet what type of kiln the mill has. I know not to steam walnut. I don't know what I am to build yet so the question is how to cut the wood. My initial though was to flitch saw it the traditional way with a 4" section through the middle and 2.5' to 2" working out. I will cut the pith away immediately after cutting. I can easily re-saw with a band saw to thinner boards. So what do you think? I have the space to air dry it out side. What would your recommendation be? Also can you get anything out of logs 7"-8" in diameter? He has some logs that size as well that I would have to cut with my band saw.

Danny Hamsley
07-26-2015, 9:15 PM
I would saw it 50% 4/4 (1 1/8" rough), 25% 6/4, and 25% 8/4. A mix will allow you flexibility for several different projects.

Al Weber
07-27-2015, 2:19 PM
Even a 14" log isn't going to yield a lot of wide material. Certainly I would have it milled and then either kiln dry it or air dry it slowly. I think Danny have the ratio of thickness correct. One can always resaw thick boards but you don't want to be gluing for thickness. Hopefully the ends were sealed soon after cutting?

Dennis Ford
07-27-2015, 8:20 PM
On the smaller logs; they would be nearly all sapwood if grown in my area, you should look at them before committing to anything. If they are limbs, do not expect to get straight lumber from them.