PDA

View Full Version : Veritas Saw File Holder

Michael Ray Smith
07-26-2015, 2:55 PM
I've been using Lee Valley's saw sharpening guide for quite a while and I like it. (I know you can make your own guides from small blocks of wood; tried it, but the Veritas guide is so much better.) The only issue I've found is that the rake setting sometimes slips during use. Has anyone else seen that?

lowell holmes
07-26-2015, 3:36 PM
I've been using Lee Valley's saw sharpening guide for quite a while and I like it. (I know you can make your own guides from small blocks of wood; tried it, but the Veritas guide is some much better.) The only issue I've found is that the rake setting sometimes slips during use. Has anyone else seen that?

Yup!

Just tighten it and go on.

Michael Ray Smith
07-26-2015, 4:12 PM
Yup!

Just tighten it and go on.

Dang. I was hoping for some magic cure. Like singing "O Canada" while you're using it. Maybe I'll try that.

Michael Ray Smith
07-27-2015, 9:08 PM
I sent an email message to Lee Valley customer service and received this response:

"Thank you for your e-mail. Our Veritas Design and Engineering Team are always appreciative of this kind of feedback, as they’re always eager to hear (good or bad) about how their products perform in the real world. With that in mind, we’ll be forwarding your comments and problem to them for their review.

"In regards to the slippage you’re experiencing, if you’re unable to apply sufficient force on the Rake Locking Knob, one of the things you can do is disassemble the unit, and remove some of the rust protectant out of the track that the knob secures into, as it may be causing a slippage point between the two pieces. Disassembly of the unit should be fairly straightforward: Remove the Rake and Fence Locking Knobs, as well as the Fence (be aware: there is a wave washer under the Fence), and slide the File Holder Sub Assembly out of the body of the Tool. You may find it easiest to use a Cotton Swab to remove any built up protectant that’s accumulated in the track. We’ve included an exploded diagram of the tool to ease your disassembly, and reassembly of the tool:"

Tom M King
07-27-2015, 9:26 PM
I've been tempted to buy that, or the higher dollar one from one of the boutique saw makers several times, but there are always a bunch of premade blocks in the "saw sharp" toolbox, and then when I use them up, I don't think to make any more until the next time I go to sharpen a saw, and then I make a bunch more while I'm set up for it......

Phil Mueller
07-27-2015, 9:42 PM
I have found both Lee Valley and Lie Nielsen to have excellent customer service. It's nice to see a response like that with complete instructions, etc. Excellent product quality and custer service...what a concept.

Ron Bontz
07-31-2015, 12:55 AM
Sorry I am late to the party. Works well for me and never slips at all. I also mounted a small level on mine. I use that one particularly when filing cross cut. The lee Valley guide is just a good bang for the buck. Best wishes.

Michael Ray Smith
07-31-2015, 8:58 AM
I followed the cleaning recommendaton from LV, using a soft cloth moistend with some denatured alcohol. (Caution: The alcohol was my idea, and I don't know if it's a good one or not. It may take off too much of the corrosion inhibitor.) So far, no more trouble with slippage.

Ron, I like the idea of a small level. I think I have one somewhere that I might try. Precisely where did you mount it and how?

Michael Ray Smith
07-31-2015, 9:00 AM
I don't have much experience with Lie Nielsen, but I've bought a bunch of tools from Lee Valley. The few times I've contacted them, the customer service has been phenomenal.

Michael Ray Smith
07-31-2015, 11:39 AM
I asked Lee Valley about cleaning it with DNA. Their reply: "Denatured alcohol was a good choice to use, although like you suspect, it can strip the metal bare, which may cause some issues down the line. In this case, we’d recommend a product like GlideCote (which we sell under Product # 56Z4410), Topcote (which is made by the same company, although we’re no longer actively carrying it) or T-9 Boseshield (56Z8030). These products are sprayed on, allowed to dry, and are then buffed to remove any unnecessary build-up."

Frederick Skelly
07-31-2015, 11:51 AM
Thanks for all the follow-up here Michael. I always find that "complete story" helpful in the archives. I've added one of these to my LV wishlist too!
Fred