PDA

View Full Version : Thin visocsity epoxy

Jeffrey Cole
07-25-2015, 1:49 PM
Would like to fill some cracks in a live edge table that run through a knot. I need some THIN VISCOSITY EPOXY. I would like to pour it into the crack and then finish it. Would you pleas recommend a brand name and a place where I buy it.
Thank you for your time!!
Jeffrey

Jamie Buxton
07-25-2015, 2:12 PM
One such is West Systems epoxy. You buy the 105 resin, and 205 or 206 catalyst. More info at http://www.westsystem.com. I buy it a boating supplies place. You can find it on the web.

A different one is System Three epoxy. Again, you buy it with either a catalyst for lower temperatures or a catalyst for higher temperatures. Woodcraft is one vendor.

Jeffrey Cole
07-25-2015, 2:18 PM
Jamie, thanks for the help. which is thinner high or low temperature catalyst?
Thanks again!
Jeffrey

Phil Thien
07-25-2015, 2:38 PM
The epoxy I've bought in the mixing syringes at the hardware store is thin enough to fill around a knot. The key is to overfill, let it cure, then cut it back to the surface.

Of course, the stuff is kinda expensive on a per-gram basis.

Jamie Buxton
07-25-2015, 2:40 PM
Jamie, thanks for the help. which is thinner high or low temperature catalyst?
Thanks again!
Jeffrey

They're both about the consistency of pancake syrup. They'll easily flow in to small cracks.

If the cracks or knots penetrate all the way through the board, use masking tape to seal the back side. Otherwise the epoxy will just flow through the board and drip on to the floor.

Here's the scoop on the catalysts.... Epoxy cure time is strongly dependent on temperature. If your shop is like 85-90 degrees, you probably want to use a catalyst intended for higher temperatures. If you use that same catalyst in the winter when your shop is 40-50 degrees, it may take a day or more to cure. So then you want to use a catalyst intended for lower temperatures.

John TenEyck
07-25-2015, 5:02 PM
I've had good luck with two part epoxy from Loctite, to which I add Transtint dye to match the color of the knot. The Transtint thins the epoxy and it runs into the cracks with no problems. It doesn't take much Transtint, nor does it hurt the cure of the epoxy.

John

Gerry Grzadzinski
07-25-2015, 6:54 PM
US Composites makes a good quality epoxy for about 1/2 the cost of West Systems.

Jeffrey Cole
07-25-2015, 7:14 PM
thank you for all your help!! Lots of wonderful information to think over. Looking forward to using epoxy and transtint.
Jeffrey