PDA

View Full Version : Project for painting and sealing after engraving

Ron Gosnell
07-25-2015, 12:51 PM
I have been engraving for about a month now and loving it. I have not been having much fun with painting and sealing however.
When I drag my brush through an engraved area it creates air bubbles no matter how lightly I apply it. It also picks up the nice darkened engraved color
and mixes it into the un engraved area. It's hot and humid and spraying outdoors is no fun at all and is a pain in the .....

I had an old cabinet out in the garage that was falling apart so I decided to repurpose it and make a small paint booth.
It was a pretty simple build. 36w x 30h x 27d I used an inline 6" duct fan attached to a floor heating register set on top of the cabinet.
I placed a removable filter in the register box and a fluorescent strip light at the top of the cabinet.

The fan was a cheapie from home depot and only puts out 160 cfm in free air. So it's very border line in evacuating the over spray.
I ordered a stronger unit online with a 300 cfm output and I am confident it will be way more than enough.

It's not explosion proof so I can only use waterborne paints and sealers. Maybe I'll change that in the future but for now it will do.
I have a LVLP paint sprayer kit on order so right now I'm just doing some airbrushing.
Now I can engrave and paint in the comfort of my shop at the same time. Next I'll figure a way to set up a sanding booth.

Gozzie

Keith Winter
07-25-2015, 2:59 PM
Nice work with the paint booth gozzie!