PDA

View Full Version : Grain Matching ALL 4 Box Corners

Norman Hitt
08-19-2005, 3:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Page
Hi Norman,
I remember reading about how to build a box as you describe but I don't recall the details on it. Can you post the procedure for all of us?

Bruce, since I don't have a way to put a drawing on, I'll "try" to give the directions so you can do it, (and it is truly easier to do than explain, so bear with me and ask any questions If I haven't made it clear).

1. Resaw a board

2. "Keeping the two pieces together" as they were sawn, run both boards, (one on top of the other), across the tablesaw to trim one end square, then measure and mark the boards "the length of ONE side + ONE end + one saw kerf width", and cut to length, (still keeping the two boards together)

Note 1:see edited note at the bottom, to put the face "Sanding Step" here.

3. (Now for explanation clarity), grab one end of the two pieces (still held together with their resawed faces together as cut), with the left hand and the other end with the right hand and lay the boards flat, ( out in front of you), then flip the top board over away from you, exposing the two resawn faces.

Note 2: you will be using the resawn faces on the OUTSIDE of the box.

4. Mark the left end of the board closest to you with a "1" and the left end of the other board with a "1a"

5. Mark the right end of the board closest to you with a "3", and the right end of the other board with a "3a"

6. Measure from the LEFT end marked "1" the length of the end of the box and mark and draw a square cut line across the board, and then mark the left side of the line as "4" and the right side of the line as "4a"

7. Measure from the RIGHT end of the Other board marked "3a" the length of the end of the box and mark and draw a square cut line across the board, and then mark the left side of the line as "2" and the right side of the line as "2a".

8. Cut the board (with the kerf on the "2" side of the line) at the line between "2"/"2a"

9. Cut the other board (with the kerf on the "4a" side of the line) at the line between "4"/"4a"

10. Now set up to bevel the corners so as to not cut ANY from the length of the boards, AND that the faces from the resawing will be on the outside when the bevels are joined to make the corner.

With this procedure, on two of the corners, only the kerf width of the resaw blade and the sanding, keeps the corner from being a perfect grain match, and on the other two corners the kerf width of both the resaw blade, and the kerf width of the blade used to make the cut between the end/side pieces and the sanding, keep them from being a perfect grain match. You can see that the thinner the blades are and the less sanding that is done, the closer the grain match would be, (as long as the blade is thick enough to provide straight, square cuts), and this is as close as you can get to a Perfect Grain Match on ALL Four Corners.

Please red this over and see if it makes sense, and I didn't get any of the steps wrong or mislabled. I've read it over and made 6 correction edits, but Sometimes, you know, we SEE, what we're expecting to see, not what is really there. :D

PS: Heck I totally forgot to put in the step for sanding the Resawn faces flat and smooth. :o Oh well, Ideally, it should be done between steps 9 and 10, but then you have to keep up with all the corresponding corners and remark them all, so it's easier if done between steps 1 and 2, (before all the marking and cutting is done), but DO NOT lose the orientation of the resawn faces for the steps that follow while sanding. Proper orientation can be assured by marking two or three angled lines across one edge of the two pieces, with the cut faces held together as soon as the resawing is done.

Note 3: Using this cut layout procedure will also enhance the overall look of boxes that use Dovetail or Box joints at the corners instead of mitre joints, by keeping the Grain lines consistant around the box.

Bruce Page
08-19-2005, 4:23 PM
Norman, thanks for the great detail! I have printed out your post. If I end up making a koa box I will definitely use your method.

Mike Johnson - Chicago
08-19-2005, 4:34 PM
Just an added comment about the miters...

They often don't have the "perfect" grain flow that you hoped for...after "all that effort". So sometimes what I do that distracts from nit-pic'ing the minor mismatch is to use dovetailed keys of contrasting color. It' s a detail that often gets as many oh's & ah's as the grain match~

Check it out...

Norman Hitt
08-19-2005, 4:34 PM
Norman, thanks for the great detail! I have printed out your post. If I end up making a koa box I will definitely use your method.

Bruce, I kept finding small errors and had to edit several times, so be sure that you printed out the last edited version, as it should be correct.

Mike, that is an excellent solution to that problem. That is beautiful.

Jim Dunn
08-19-2005, 4:56 PM
Mike, those are truly some pretty boxes!!

Roy Wall
08-19-2005, 5:00 PM
Norman & Mike,

Just copied this file for reference....

THanks Guys!!

ROY

Jim Guy
08-20-2005, 7:07 AM
I have seen the dovetailed keys many times before but can not figure in my head how this is done. Would you mind giving me a little insight.
By the way, I love your boxes. After spending 10,000 on a shop and tools it seems to be the thing I make most often.

Norman Hitt
08-20-2005, 6:35 PM
I have seen the dovetailed keys many times before but can not figure in my head how this is done. Would you mind giving me a little insight.
By the way, I love your boxes. After spending 10,000 on a shop and tools it seems to be the thing I make most often.

Jim, I'm hoping that Mike will see this and respond, as I'm sure he has, (or could get), pictures of the Jig that he uses to cut the "dovetail slot" in the edges of the boxes.

To make the Key, you use the same dovetail bit and run a board by the bit, standing on edge, (like when you make a sliding dovetail), once on each side, (adjusting the fence to get the proper width on the key to match the Dovetail slot), and then on the tablesaw, slice off the key from the board and glue and slide it into the dovetail slot, then trim and sand it flush with the sides after the glue dries.

Maybe Jim can explain it better/easier, and a picture of the Jig would be much easier than trying to describe how to make it, with the two 45* angled pieces in the base of the jig to hold the box on it's edge as you run it across the Dovetail bit, with the router set up in a router table.

Maybe this will give you the General Idea til a better explanation is forthcoming. :)