PDA

View Full Version : Vintage tools, you never know where...

mark kosse
07-25-2015, 9:37 AM
I was going through Reagan TX yesterday and noticed a antique store had opened up. The store is the only store in Reagan which has a population of less than 200, and maybe less than 100. I did my usuall quick tour since I don't need more antiques, looking for tools (which I also need no more of). I was about to jokingly go tell the lady running the place she needed more man stuff when around a corner, behind a trunk and with 3 other item on top of it, I find this

mark kosse
07-25-2015, 9:43 AM
I was going through Reagan TX yesterday and notice a antique store had opened up. The store is the only store in Reagan which has a population of less than 200, and maybe less than 100. I did my usuall quick tour since I don't need more antiques, looking for tools (which I also need no more of). I was about to jokingly go tell the lady running the place she needed more man stuff when around a corner, behind a trunk and with 3 other item on top of it, I find this

i sort of collect older USA made Porter Cable machines, especially in the steel cases. In sanders I have the 362vs in a case but my 352vs didn't have one. I'm going to have to build a new display cabinet soon.

anyone need a 352 without a steel case? :)

Keith Hankins
07-25-2015, 2:59 PM
Nice condition you fund a good one!

Kent A Bathurst
07-25-2015, 6:29 PM
Mark - What's the punch line? You bought it? For how much????????

Tom M King
07-25-2015, 6:32 PM
That's a good belt sander, but if it's vintage, then I am too.

Andrew Hughes
07-25-2015, 7:32 PM
I thought it was a porter cable Saw Boss,That would have been the find of a lifetime.

mark kosse
07-26-2015, 8:16 AM
perhaps you'd care to define vintage to me then.

johnny means
07-26-2015, 1:39 PM

Agreed, looks pretty contemporary to me.

Mel Fulks
07-26-2015, 1:54 PM
It's all relative ,a phone that old would have a cord on it. I would guess 15 to 20 years old. And I like those sanders.

mark kosse
07-26-2015, 2:26 PM
well, I'd say 20-32 years old. it's post 1983 when the porter cable name was put back into use instead of the rockwell int name. To my knowledge they (pc/bd) stopped production of the steel box in the mid 90's and it could have been earlier. I had a 362 that i bought in the early 90's and it had a plastic box, and that was an option. Even then, if it was made in 2005 it would still be of that vintage.

the purpose of the post was to show a nice machine with a case that is in hard to find condition, no matter when it was made. These steel cases are usually scratched, rusted, paint splattered or poorly repainted. they're even worse in the rural humid eastern half of texas. I'm guessing a lot of you all frequent owwm to much.

johnny means
07-27-2015, 9:46 AM
By all means it is a nice score.

lowell holmes
07-27-2015, 10:21 AM
well, I'd say 20-32 years old. it's post 1983 when the porter cable name was put back into use instead of the rockwell int name. To my knowledge they (pc/bd) stopped production of the steel box in the mid 90's and it could have been earlier. I had a 362 that i bought in the early 90's and it had a plastic box, and that was an option. Even then, if it was made in 2005 it would still be of that vintage.

the purpose of the post was to show a nice machine with a case that is in hard to find condition, no matter when it was made. These steel cases are usually scratched, rusted, paint splattered or poorly repainted. they're even worse in the rural humid eastern half of texas. I'm guessing a lot of you all frequent owwm to much.
Reagan Texas is not in East Texas. That's why it didn't rust.:)

mark kosse
07-27-2015, 1:07 PM
Reagan Texas is not in East Texas. That's why it didn't rust.:)

but it is in the eastern half of texas, as I stated. it could actually be said it is in the eastern third of texas. look at a map. i live 9 miles ne of reagan and have for 34 years. please don't try to tell me things don't rust here. i battle it constantly in the shop.

lowell holmes
07-28-2015, 9:25 AM
I didn't mean to offend. I made the post in good humor. I was not suggesting tools don't rust where you live.

Its just East Texas resonates to me as being roughly 25 miles from the Louisiana border. I don't live in East Texas but,tools really do rust in Galveston county.

Actually, in my mind, anything East of Liberty is East Texas. But, the Big Thicket really is deep in East Texas.

Nick Stokes
07-28-2015, 10:40 AM
Did they even have electricity in 1983?

lowell holmes
07-28-2015, 1:29 PM
Yes, but bear hunts in the Big Thicket were still taking place in the earlier 20th century. There is a book "Tales of the Big Thicket" or may be "Tales From The Big Thicket" that is a fascinating read.
The people from that part of Texas were different. The land was different. It was a land of oil, lumbering, hunting, and commerce in and around Beaument. I loaned my copy to a friend and never got it back.

There is no border marking the boundaries and so different understanding by people.

Myk Rian
07-28-2015, 7:55 PM

20 years + is vintage

Davis Young
07-29-2015, 2:23 PM
Good score on a cherry looking unit. I got the 362VS probably around 2002 and ended up buying the steel case later on for it. Pricey but worth it. That case design with the black stripe on metallic gray finish was the last iteration before Porter Cable could no longer source it and had to go with black blow molded plastic. This was in the early to mid '00s when Porter Cable as well as Delta was still owned by Pentair (and probably the last time Porter Cable was decent before Black and Decker pretty much destroyed the brand). Earlier versions of their steel cases didn't have the black stripe and just said "Porter Cable" in black on more of a matte gray finish and that ran pretty much through the '90s.

Larry Browning
07-29-2015, 2:58 PM
20 years + is vintage

My opinion is that it sort of depends on the kind of thing you are talking about. If you are talking electronics then 20 yrs is vintage, maybe even 10 years, but tools I think is a bit older. I would think at least 50 years would be the minimum before a tool could be referred to as vintage. I have a Woodmaster 612 planer that my dad bought in 1976 that I don't think of as vintage.
Of course, it could just be me that is vintage.

Jerome Stanek
07-29-2015, 4:17 PM
20 years is a baby yet. I'm still using a cordless Dewalt drill with the original batteries that I bought in 92. I had 6 of them and 5 are still working and the 6th needs a new trigger.

Rick Potter
07-29-2015, 4:39 PM
Oh oh, if 20 years is vintage, I have clothes that old.

mark kosse
07-29-2015, 6:36 PM
My opinion is that it sort of depends on the kind of thing you are talking about. If you are talking electronics then 20 yrs is vintage, maybe even 10 years, but tools I think is a bit older. I would think at least 50 years would be the minimum before a tool could be referred to as vintage. I have a Woodmaster 612 planer that my dad bought in 1976 that I don't think of as vintage.
Of course, it could just be me that is vintage.

My question now is whats it matter. So many of you all have felt the need to correct the few of us who said it was vintage. Have you looked up the definition of vintage? I have, and it fits. That's not opinion, it's fact. Instead of a lot of you saying wow, nice find, I get corrected. when I don't agree with something, I try to just shut up. I guess that's why I have 300+ posts in 6 years. I try not to say anything unless it helps or unless I find something that is somewhat hard to find, or vintage...:eek:

Brian Holcombe
07-29-2015, 7:53 PM
These characters are just giving a good spirited ribbing, please don't take offense. They mean well....