PDA

View Full Version : I just bought a Laguna LT14 SUV bandsaw

Mike Nguyen
07-25-2015, 2:32 AM
I have been thinking of buying a Laguna LT14 SUV bandsaw for awhile now and with Woodcraft having 10% off on all Laguna Tools, I decided to pull the trigger. I had about $500 bucks with Amazon gift card from reward points earned on couple of credit cards so I decided to check Amazon because I know that Woodcraft is also selling through Amazon. I was glad that I checked Amazon because I ended up buying from Woodcraft through Amazon and save about $365 and the Amazon gift card.
The saw cost $1619.10 from both Amazon or Woodcraft. Woodcraft only charge $19.99 for shipping if you buy from Amazon but will charge you $236.64 if you buy from Woodcraft.com. Amazon did not charge me for tax because it was sold and shipped from Woodcraft. However, if I buy from Woodcraft.com, they also add $148.46 tax. That was how I save about $365. Can't wait to get my saw in the next 2 weeks.

Mike

Matt Day
07-25-2015, 7:05 AM
Sweet! Nice job working a good deal. Fingers crossed shipping goes smoothly.

Congrats!

Mike Ontko
07-25-2015, 11:35 AM
Sounds like you scored a great deal!

Bruce Page
07-25-2015, 12:34 PM
That's a sweet bandsaw, congrats!

Mike Nguyen
07-25-2015, 12:46 PM
Sweet! Nice job working a good deal. Fingers crossed shipping goes smoothly.

Congrats!

Before I ordered from Amazon, I called Woodcraft to make sure that $19.99 is all I have to pay for shipping and their customer service confirmed it.

Victor Robinson
07-25-2015, 5:04 PM
Congrats! Are you upgrading or buying your first?

Frederick Skelly
07-25-2015, 5:43 PM
Lucky dog! Enjoy it!
Fred

Mike Nguyen
07-25-2015, 8:29 PM
Congrats! Are you upgrading or buying your first?

Buying my first.

Keith Hankins
07-25-2015, 8:29 PM
Good deal! Do a review when you get it together.

Peter Widders
07-25-2015, 9:05 PM
'Had one for almost 2 years now. With the 1" blade it does a great job. Congrats on the buy and the 'add-on' savings.
Peter Widders
Sydney, Australia

Eric DeSilva
07-29-2015, 1:11 PM
+1, love mine as well. If I'm recalling correctly, you are supposed to terminate the electrical cord yourself, so if you want to be up and running day one, you might pick up a 220V plug next time you are out...

Mike Nguyen
07-29-2015, 1:50 PM
+1, love mine as well. If I'm recalling correctly, you are supposed to terminate the electrical cord yourself, so if you want to be up and running day one, you might pick up a 220V plug next time you are out...

Home Depot is 5 minutes from my house so picking up a 220V is not a problem. However, the display that I saw at the local Woodcraft has the plug already though.

Duncan Foster
08-19-2015, 2:49 PM
Amazing what one month difference makes. Saw is $1963 on Amazon or 1799 at woodcraft with $150 shipping. A wash

Mike Nguyen
08-20-2015, 1:43 AM
Amazing what one month difference makes. Saw is $1963 on Amazon or 1799 at woodcraft with $150 shipping. A wash

Hi Duncan,
I just checked Laguna Tools outlet and they have 9 of these LT14 SUV for $1249 which is over 30% off. At the time when I ordered my saw from Amazon, these are only 20% off and with tax and delivery, I only save about $50 bucks. You may want to give Laguna Tools a call if you want 30% off.
Mike

Duncan Foster
08-20-2015, 8:30 AM
Awesome thanks much

David C. Roseman
08-20-2015, 10:28 AM
Mike, congratulations on your new saw, but I'll offer a heads up on the sales tax issue. Don't assume the transaction is tax-free. :eek: You were not charged "sales tax" by Amazon because they evidently were not required to charge it. But California, like most other states, levies a "use tax" on online purchases such as yours. http://www.boe.ca.gov/taxprograms/usetax/ It is a self-reporting tax, but state regulators regularly monitor interstate truck shipments of big-ticket machinery to in-state residents and pursue tax, interest and penalties if the use tax hasn't been reported and paid. Interstate truck carriers typically cooperate with state regulators by providing shipping manifest data on large items. Many purchasers are simply unaware of the use tax obligations, and online companies that aren't required to collect sales tax for states they don't have a tax nexus with typically don't alert buyers to it for obvious reasons.

(http://www.boe.ca.gov/taxprograms/usetax/)

Phil Thien
08-20-2015, 11:10 AM
Mike, congratulations on your new saw, but I'll offer a heads up on the sales tax issue. Don't assume the transaction is tax-free. :eek: You were not charged "sales tax" by Amazon because they evidently were not required to charge it. But California, like most other states, levies a "use tax" on online purchases such as yours. http://www.boe.ca.gov/taxprograms/usetax/ It is a self-reporting tax, but state regulators regularly monitor interstate truck shipments of big-ticket machinery to in-state residents and pursue tax, interest and penalties if the use tax hasn't been reported and paid. Interstate truck carriers typically cooperate with state regulators by providing shipping manifest data on large items. Many purchasers are simply unaware of the use tax obligations, and online companies that aren't required to collect sales tax for states they don't have a tax nexus with typically don't alert buyers to it for obvious reasons.

(http://www.boe.ca.gov/taxprograms/usetax/)

I understand the importance of use taxes.

But I've never heard of a state sales tax dept. requesting manifests and then asking for taxes and penalties.

I'd think if that were the case, we'd hear about lots of Grizzly customers from all over the fifty saying they got dinged, no?

Erik Loza
08-20-2015, 12:52 PM
No dog in this fight but I will relay a personal experience. Do with it what you will. For years the (former) Minimax USA operation sold machines to CA residents, tax-free. All our inventory was warehoused here in Austin. Now, SCM Group, our parent company, had a few dealerships for the larger CNC stuff in CA. No Minimax product warehoused or even sold from those outlets. However, since Minimax USA was a subsidiary of SCM Group, the California Franchise Tax Board decreed that Minimax USA therefore had "nexus" (the exact legal term they used in their correspondence with our attorneys; we fought it) and therefore, was responsible for collecting sales tax from any CA customer. Which remains still true, today.

Once we received that, Minimax USA mailed letters to all its CA customers explaining the judgment and letting them know that they had the option of either paying us the tax or paying the state the tax. As you might imagine, that did not go over very well with many folks. The state actually subpoenaed Minimax USA's sales records and my understanding is that folks who did not pay Minimax USA got letters of tax due, the following year from the FTB. Point being, it is not always clear, even to the vendor, what the rules may or may not be but if you end up on the FTB's radar, there is not a whole lot you can do to get out of it. Again, no opinion on any of thise but I am surprised that the FTB has not become more aggressive about collecting tax from "internet clearing houses" when both the customer and the brick-and-mortar distributor are in the same state.

Erik

Phil Thien
08-20-2015, 1:57 PM
No dog in this fight but I will relay a personal experience. Do with it what you will. For years the (former) Minimax USA operation sold machines to CA residents, tax-free. All our inventory was warehoused here in Austin. Now, SCM Group, our parent company, had a few dealerships for the larger CNC stuff in CA. No Minimax product warehoused or even sold from those outlets. However, since Minimax USA was a subsidiary of SCM Group, the California Franchise Tax Board decreed that Minimax USA therefore had "nexus" (the exact legal term they used in their correspondence with our attorneys; we fought it) and therefore, was responsible for collecting sales tax from any CA customer. Which remains still true, today.

It isn't a fight really just surprised to hear of any states that went to trucking companies to get manifests and sending letters asking residents to pay a use tax. Quite a bit different from your nexus issue which doesn't surprise me at all (that they found sufficient physical presence or wanted their money).

Again, it seems like Grizzly is shipping to all fifty states from about three, you'd think there would be people here griping about getting a letter from their state departments of revenue.

OTOH, maybe everyone is declaring them and paying the tax.