PDA

View Full Version : Question on models and puzzles

Junior hall
07-24-2015, 9:29 PM
I have a question on 2 topics one being models and the other being puzzels

Like to know if there is a program that for instance i want to make a model of some thing ( i looked on YouTube not see any thing ) say a model air plan. How does my laser know the size and shape of each piece of the air plan.

Second question Same as above but as a puzzle say i want to have a puzzle of a dog for instance. How would my laser engraver know which size and shape each piece is.

Is there a program for this. I am using Engravelab 9 laser engraver is a Bosslaser. Bosslaser.

Thanks in advance

Keith Winter
07-24-2015, 10:15 PM
Your laser uses a vector file to tell it the size and shape of something. Typically one color designates cut and another engrave. Not sure how that translates to the Chinese software but read the boss laser help files, and engravelab help files and that should get you started.

Junior hall
07-24-2015, 11:02 PM
Thanks Keith Winters thanks so much

Bert Kemp
07-24-2015, 11:35 PM
Junior when you design your plane or puzzle in corel when you select that it will tell you what size it is. When you send it to the laser it will automatically know what size and cut it correctly. If you ungroup your design then clic on each individual piece corel will tell you the size of each piece. Is this what you wanted to know ?

Junior hall
07-25-2015, 12:05 AM
Thanks Bert Kemp So now i need Corel Draw for this GRRRRRRRRRR more software needed as i was told Engravelab would do every thing so now i need more dern but thanks Bert Kemp thanks

Mike Null
07-25-2015, 7:03 AM
Junior

Your engravelab should do everything you need. Don't buy Corel until you actually determine that you must have it.

Junior hall
07-25-2015, 9:52 AM
Thanks Mike Null

I was and have been re reading the manual and have not found where it says about making puzzles or how they are figured into the cutting of each shape and size. Also have not found yet where in the manual for the models of each piece and shape.

The engravelab manual is over whelming with all kinds of things that the software can do. I am reading one thing then it jumps to some thing else that you can do with the software then back to what it was previous reading about first. This is at times so confusing and at times so frustrating with the jumping around

Mike Troncalli
07-25-2015, 10:18 AM
Junior,

Do a quick google search for engravelab training.. I found a couple of youtube videos and such.. Might be worth your time..

Scott Shepherd
07-25-2015, 10:59 AM
1) Google "puzzle vector art"

2) Download the one you want to use.

3) Import the one you download into engravelab.

4) Send to laser.

Junior hall
07-25-2015, 11:58 AM
Mike Troncalli (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?86367-Mike-Troncalli)

Ive watched just about every Youtube video there is and Ive learned some things i didn't know about engravelab

Scott Shepherd Thanks so much i thought i would have to buy a program for that but thanks ill check it out thanks once again boss

This is why i was inquiring into the puzzles as i thought this was very beautiful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne0XgAL6XF4

Never seen any thing like it as i thought it was unique

Mike Null
07-27-2015, 7:58 AM
Junior
One of the strengths of Engravlab is it's conversion from bitmap to vector feature. You should have no problem with puzzle patterns.

Craig Matheny
07-27-2015, 12:36 PM
Junior I do both of what you are asking and it is not real simple as you are being told. Yes you can down load a vector file and cut it that is true if you want the exact same thing everyone else is doing. You also could get a good puzzle book of old puzzles and make your own designs. Regarding models you can go to some website and buy premade patterns that are mostly the same as the ones that you can buy from at Micheal's or Harbor freight for 1.00 a kit that are imported from China, they work great. The other option is design your own and yes for that you need Corel draw or some other good vector software there is one free one out there don't remember the name of it. The other question I have is how powerful of a laser do you have? Good luck Just and FYI it take 50+ hours to design most models along with instructions for the models we make. Good Luck

Junior hall
07-27-2015, 3:45 PM
Thanks Craig Matheny I think i will probably stay away from the puzzle mess It looks nice but like you said it is not real simple. I might just stick to what Ive been doing and that's engraving wood mirrors drinking glasses and regular glasses

Bert Kemp
07-27-2015, 4:15 PM
Junior there's several puzzle generators that will make a puzzle any shape and size you want. One right here on SMC

Hilton Lister
07-27-2015, 5:18 PM
Junior.
Just google MakeCNC. They have plans for puzzles and models at very reasonable prices. Even just cutting some of their files will give you some idea of what is involved in designing some of your own.

Junior hall
07-27-2015, 5:26 PM
Thanks Bert Kemp and Hinton Lister I will sure look into it as i think engraving a puzzle with a picture on it is very unique and pretty thanks once again to all

Joel Ifill
07-27-2015, 6:01 PM
Like to know if there is a program that for instance i want to make a model of some thing ( i looked on YouTube not see any thing ) say a model air plan. How does my laser know the size and shape of each piece of the air plan.

what you are looking for is called "tab and slot" construction or design. To my knowledge there's no easy or automated way to do this 2d, you have to use a 3d program like solidworks then export every piece as a dxf to cut.

I'm an engineer as a day job and I do a lot of tab and slot design in solidworks to be either sent to a sheet metal laser, or CO2 plastic laser machine. I design in solidworks then go into illlustrator to turn the cut lines red and set line weight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMYrC5hqWQ0

That's just one video but some searching will show you many, you might be able to do it for free in sketchup but really cad is the way to go.

Junior hall
07-27-2015, 8:06 PM
Thanks Joel Ifill. I think this mess is way way way over my head I think ill stick to the basics of engraving until i need to learn more With the engravelab i have not even touched most of the buttons as well kinda scared it might blow up sort of speaking. Thanks for every ones help

Craig Matheny
07-27-2015, 8:46 PM
what you are looking for is called "tab and slot" construction or design. To my knowledge there's no easy or automated way to do this 2d, you have to use a 3d program like solidworks then export every piece as a dxf to cut.

I'm an engineer as a day job and I do a lot of tab and slot design in solidworks to be either sent to a sheet metal laser, or CO2 plastic laser machine. I design in solidworks then go into illlustrator to turn the cut lines red and set line weight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMYrC5hqWQ0

That's just one video but some searching will show you many, you might be able to do it for free in sketchup but really cad is the way to go.

I use Corel draw for all my tab and slot work and it is very quick and easy, draw the main body add the tab area positive or negative and merge or remove area, I have a library for all the items that are used regularly other then that draw it. You could even use a macro to automate that step but why it is one click. CorelDRAW cost 500.00 for a new copy compared to 4k+ for solid works and the learning curve is so much easier with CorelDRAW. Well good luck

Junior hall
07-27-2015, 10:06 PM
Thanks Craig Matheny i might look into it more. I like the idea of the picture puzzle as i think it is very neat and a awesome idea I will look into the Coreldraw thanks all once again thanks

Craig Matheny
07-27-2015, 10:50 PM
Thanks Craig Matheny i might look into it more. I like the idea of the picture puzzle as i think it is very neat and a awesome idea I will look into the Coreldraw thanks all once again thanks
The other thing to remember is copyright law, not everything you see is safe for the taking just an FYI

Bert Kemp
07-27-2015, 11:47 PM
Junior My grandson loves to snowboard so My daughter took his picture snowboarding and emailed it to me I printed out an 8x10 photo then glued it to a piece of 8x10 baltic birch and cut out a puzzle design , he thought it was the most awesome present he was 11. You could have people give you pictures of something they would like a puzzle made of. Their car, their motorcycle family picture the list is unlimited and a great money maker.no copy write to worry about either.

Craig Matheny
07-28-2015, 10:45 AM
Junior My grandson loves to snowboard so My daughter took his picture snowboarding and emailed it to me I printed out an 8x10 photo then glued it to a piece of 8x10 baltic birch and cut out a puzzle design , he thought it was the most awesome present he was 11. You could have people give you pictures of something they would like a puzzle made of. Their car, their motorcycle family picture the list is unlimited and a great money maker.no copy write to worry about either.

Bert that is a great idea for junior could he do that in Engravelab? I know with corel you can get a macro to automate the puzzle section. The only two questions that I can see needed to get that to start very fast would be what glue to use, how to glue the pic to the wood and how do you keep the pic from getting residue from the wood on it? This sounds like it could generate some good money and be very easy

Bert Kemp
07-28-2015, 2:04 PM
I print the photo's out on 8x10 glossy inkjet photo paper and let it sit a while to make sure its dry.Then coat the unfinished wood with white wood craft glue you can pick up at anyplace that sells craft stuff like Hobby Lobby, Walmart where ever . and a light coat on the back of the photo and press them together and then use a plastic squeegee or something like that to work out the wrinkles and air bubbles, and I put some weight on top till it drys. Good exhaust and good laser settings leave very little residue on the photo and the little that is there will wipe right off with a slightly damp cloth. I've also turned the puzzle over and cut the backside and that works to . Oh you can also laser the photo on the wood itself and cut the puzzle. I think Junior had problems getting a good photo to laser tho. This is almost fool proof.

Bert that is a great idea for junior could he do that in Engravelab? I know with corel you can get a macro to automate the puzzle section. The only two questions that I can see needed to get that to start very fast would be what glue to use, how to glue the pic to the wood and how do you keep the pic from getting residue from the wood on it? This sounds like it could generate some good money and be very easy

Craig Matheny
08-10-2015, 1:09 PM
Bert was out of town for the last week so I did not have computer time (Vacation) sounds very interesting. I was talking to a lady that was telling me of a process of making the image come off the pic and end up printed on the wood, trying to get more on that. Well best of luck to Bert.

Bert Kemp
08-10-2015, 9:07 PM
Craig I'm outta town now LOL andwillbe for a while I MISS MY LASER lol but willstill be here.yes more on picture to wood please.

Junior hall
08-10-2015, 11:54 PM
Holly cow i am so over whelmed i want to do it all I need to calm my nerves down some more and come back and read this slowly I am going to save this in my favorites for this section Thanks Bert kemp thanks so much this is just totally unbelievable

Bert Kemp
08-11-2015, 12:02 PM
Glad to help Junior

Holly cow i am so over whelmed i want to do it all I need to calm my nerves down some more and come back and read this slowly I am going to save this in my favorites for this section Thanks Bert kemp thanks so much this is just totally unbelievable

Joe Hillmann
08-11-2015, 1:54 PM
I am going to try and help you out.

Here is a basic blank puzzle it is 8x10. You can glue a photo to it, engrave a photo on it or do what ever you want.

Here it is in Corel Draw and Pdf. I tried doing it in AI to make it easier for you to get into engrave lab but couldn't upload it.319415319416

Here is a simple model plane. It is meant to be cut out of 1/8 inch materiel. Most of what is sold in stores as 1/8 is actually thinner so it will be a sloppy fit but for now it is a start. If you buy a piece of materiel and measure its thickness (to the thousandth) I can rescale it for you or tell you the math so you can rescale it yourself. The black marks are to be cut the red engraved a low power. Once the laser is done cutting every piece will have two or more TINY tabs still holding them to the holder sheet. You have to twist the pieces to break them out.319411319412

In case you are having trouble getting the black to cut and the red to mark here the plane is again with only the cut marks and no red.319413319414

I also couldn't get the plane to upload as AI. You would probably have to open them in PDF then convert to AI then import in engrave lab unless engrave lab can import PDF's or less likely CorelDraw files.

These files should at least get you started so you have something to play with and get an idea of what is involved.

I don't care about the puzzle but I would prefer if you don't make the plane for sale.

Craig Matheny
08-12-2015, 5:20 PM
Here is a simple model plane. It is meant to be cut out of 1/8 inch materiel. Most of what is sold in stores as 1/8 is actually thinner so it will be a sloppy fit but for now it is a start.
Joe where do you find 1/8" Baltic Birch that is less than .13 I buy about 10 lifts a year and most is .13+ I would love to find .125 or less thickness as it would cut 15% faster.
Thanks

Joe Hillmann
08-12-2015, 8:06 PM
Joe where do you find 1/8" Baltic Birch that is less than .13 I buy about 10 lifts a year and most is .13+ I would love to find .125 or less thickness as it would cut 15% faster.
Thanks

I don't. I buy seconds door skins from a local plywood company, Birchwood's Best. They are around .102 thick with on side hardwood and the other side hard board.

Craig Matheny
08-13-2015, 12:16 AM
Yeah that would take way to long I would spend a lot of time cutting the wood to size I buy the lift and they cut 1500+ pieces for the laser out of each one. Thanks for the info that is a great idea

Mayo Pardo
08-13-2015, 1:03 AM
Puzzle photos - I've attempted three.
You may have to fiddle with the size if the laser kerf makes the puzzle pieces fit too loosely. Some puzzle generators have an adjustment for this which you can tweak to make the pieces fit better.

I have printed color photos on my inkjet printer and glued them to plywood, MDF, and to acrylic using 3M Super 77 spray glue. I then sprayed the photo with Krylon clear for additional protection.

The one thing I never could get past was the smell of the puzzle pieces. I even went so far as to put dryer sheets in a bag with the puzzle pieces and they still stink. I'm guessing this may be because I only have a 30 watt laser and cutting takes longer and produces more charring that a more powerful laser.

Or it may be the glue and the clear coat that makes it stink so bad - I'll have to try plain white glue and no clear coat to see if it makes a difference.

I've tried focusing about 1/3 into the material but it still makes a stinky puzzle that customers would find objectionable. Other than that the process does work though!

Craig Matheny
08-13-2015, 11:44 AM
MAyo the simple test is to cut a puzzle with out anything on it then you know if it is the wood being cut to slow or the stuff you added on.