PDA

View Full Version : Rikon 25-130H Portable Planer Opinions?

Jordan Gatenby
07-24-2015, 9:14 PM
Hello,

I am really needing a planer. The question is, should I get this new Rikon 13" portable job or save up or a floor model (thinking Grizzly G0453 15")? I can't imagine I will need more width then 13", the Grizzly has an extra horse but, do i really need it? Anyone have a bench top model like the Rikon and can offer some insight on their usefulness compared to a floor model? Including shipping, the Rikon would save me about $650 or so, that's enough for an 8-inch jointer (almost)!

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Thanks,

Jordan

Allan Speers
07-24-2015, 10:25 PM
If I were going to get a lunchbox, it would be either the Makita (for it's superb finish quality & easy knife changes) or the Dewalt (for it's two speeds and because you can upgrade it to a shelix head.) The Dewalt / Shelix combo is a great machine, if you only need it for light use.

Only you can say if you need 15". I surely do not. (but I also use hand planes a lot.)

Up until this year I had the Makita lunchbox, and absolutely loved it. However, I have a huge pile (like 5,000 + BF) of 12' lumber to skip-plane, and after several long threads here, and much thinking, I decided to get a stationary planer instead.

I found a Powermatic 100 locally, which is "only" 12", but one of the best small planers ever made. All in, if I add a Shelix head, it will have cost me around $1,900, but I think I made the right choice. Those lunchbox planers are great, but they can't really pull a 12', 10", 12/4 piece of White Oak. You have to push & pull like Jack LaLane. I'm sure I would have burned the thing up.

- But I would not have wanted a modern 15" like a Grizzly, either. Those don't give the same finish as the Powermatic or a General 130, or... Now maybe you don't NEED a great finish, but it's certainly nice to have. Again, only you know how you like to work & what you consider important, but these are the kinds of things to consider.

Jordan Gatenby
07-25-2015, 9:16 AM
If I were going to get a lunchbox, it would be either the Makita (for it's superb finish quality & easy knife changes) or the Dewalt (for it's two speeds and because you can upgrade it to a shelix head.) The Dewalt / Shelix combo is a great machine, if you only need it for light use.

Only you can say if you need 15". I surely do not. (but I also use hand planes a lot.)

Up until this year I had the Makita lunchbox, and absolutely loved it. However, I have a huge pile (like 5,000 + BF) of 12' lumber to skip-plane, and after several long threads here, and much thinking, I decided to get a stationary planer instead.

I found a Powermatic 100 locally, which is "only" 12", but one of the best small planers ever made. All in, if I add a Shelix head, it will have cost me around $1,900, but I think I made the right choice. Those lunchbox planers are great, but they can't really pull a 12', 10", 12/4 piece of White Oak. You have to push & pull like Jack LaLane. I'm sure I would have burned the thing up.

- But I would not have wanted a modern 15" like a Grizzly, either. Those don't give the same finish as the Powermatic or a General 130, or... Now maybe you don't NEED a great finish, but it's certainly nice to have. Again, only you know how you like to work & what you consider important, but these are the kinds of things to consider.

Thanks for the tip. I am just hesitant to get a bench top planer at all because I am thinking I will have to update one day but, it seems like a great deal of people use them with great success. Realistically I don't think I'll be doing huge amounts of planning that would necessitate a beast of a floor model.

Are bench top planers worth the money or better to save for a large floor model?

Bruce Page
07-25-2015, 1:16 PM
I went from a 12" Delta lunchbox to a PM15. The lunchbox gave me a smoother cut but I had to take lighter cuts when planning 10"+ widths. The PM couldn't care less. My main motivation for the upgrade was noise, the Delta was obnoxiously loud.
If I were going to spend the money they want for the Rikon, I would look seriously at the DeWalt 735X. The DeWalt is a proven success and very popular. Note also that the Rikon uses HS steel inserts in its cutting head, not carbide. That alone would worry me.