PDA

View Full Version : TIMBOR application and use

Todd Burch
07-24-2015, 6:40 PM
I've never used timbor before. I watched one video where a guy had his granule/powder packet, mixed it with water, and used a pump up sprayer to spray a cedar fence. Go figure.

When milling lumber, it seems the pump up sprayer would be a pretty slow way to apply it. And, probably inconsistent coverage too.

What's the recommended application? What do you do? Dip tank per board as they come off the mill? Rubber gloves?

Also, what does having timbor on the wood mean in terms of later processing? Nasty stuff?

Thanks, Todd

Scott T Smith
07-24-2015, 10:30 PM
I've never used timbor before. I watched one video where a guy had his granule/powder packet, mixed it with water, and used a pump up sprayer to spray a cedar fence. Go figure.

When milling lumber, it seems the pump up sprayer would be a pretty slow way to apply it. And, probably inconsistent coverage too.

What's the recommended application? What do you do? Dip tank per board as they come off the mill? Rubber gloves?

Also, what does having timbor on the wood mean in terms of later processing? Nasty stuff?

Thanks, Todd

I prefer a 15% mix, which is 3 scoops per gallon of water. I use a standard Solo backpack sprayer that has been modified by installing a handle from a pressure washer on it. This allows me to use pressure washer nozzles and the application is fast and consistent.

If you're treating fence posts that will be below ground, then a dip tank is a good choice. Otherwise it's best to treat green (not dry) lumber fresh from the mill and keep the face saturated for 10 minutes or so.

Timbor is about as safe and non toxic to people and pets as you can find. I have not seen any negative post processing impacts from the residual material.

Danny Hamsley
07-26-2015, 8:58 AM
I mix disodium octaborate tetrahydrate at 12% to 15% which is about 6 pounds of powder per 5 gallons of water. I use a 25 gallon ATV spray tank that has a DC pump that runs off a 12 V powerpack. The pump delivers 60 PSI. I use a 50' hose with a wand to make spraying easy. I built a 10' wide table off the back of the sawmill. Boards come off the sawmill and are stacked in single layers high so that I can spray the edges all at one time. Then, after the edges are sprayed, I lay the boards flat across the table and spray both sides to full saturation.