PDA

View Full Version : Wavy Lines

Walt Langhans
07-24-2015, 5:05 PM
I was cutting some squares today and I've noticed that some of the lines aren't perfectly straight, and are kind of wavy. It almost looks like cut it by hand. Anyone have an idea on what could be causing this (other then the file, I've used this same file several times before with no issues).

Thanks!
Walt

Mark Sipes
07-24-2015, 5:17 PM
bearings, loose tension on x-axis belt. any photos to ook at?

Michael Hunter
07-24-2015, 5:20 PM
Check for a loose lens or mirror too

Dave Sheldrake
07-24-2015, 11:10 PM
Near the corners by any chance Walt?

Chuck Stone
07-25-2015, 10:35 AM
When I see that, I'll take a rag to the rails and usually find that the carriage is bouncing over
grit that gets up there. If the wheel screws get loose (they can, over time) this can allow
the carriage to shift and skew as it moves.. especially if the wheel bearings need a little lube.

Walt Langhans
07-25-2015, 4:02 PM
Near the corners by any chance Walt?

No, it's in the middle of the material. We had to leave for a show this weekend so I'll check stuff when I get home. It's the Rayfine (ie the less than a month old laser) that having the issues.

Thanks guys!

Dave Sheldrake
07-25-2015, 9:33 PM
I mean where the laser changes direction type corners :)

Walt Langhans
07-26-2015, 10:08 PM
I mean where the laser changes direction type corners :)

Whoops, lol! I just got back from the show, but took a quick look (I left the material on so I could handle this later. Ah... experience :D) and it's only the horizontal lines and only in the middle section of the material but it does run from the top of the material to the bottom. So I'm thinking it's got be be a loose belt or some thing that has to due with the travel of the head across the horizontal axis. I'll take a closer look at in the morning, it was a long show and I'm beat.

Bill George
07-27-2015, 7:42 AM
Whoops, lol! I just got back from the show, but took a quick look (I left the material on so I could handle this later. Ah... experience :D) and it's only the horizontal lines and only in the middle section of the material but it does run from the top of the material to the bottom. So I'm thinking it's got be be a loose belt or some thing that has to due with the travel of the head across the horizontal axis. I'll take a closer look at in the morning, it was a long show and I'm beat.

If its on the X axis its probably the carriage wheels loose or crud on the rail like already suggested.

Walt Langhans
07-27-2015, 12:00 PM
Well... Lot's of sweat (working in the garage during the summer sucks), a little blood (Monday sacrifice for the shop gods), and 2 bottles of Gatorade later (did I mention the sweating) turns out the Mirror over the nozzle assembly, as well as the nozzle assembly itself was loose. But of course during the process of me checking things I knocked the entire alignment off, so I got to re-align the laser as well. Oh well... At least things are back the way they should be and I'm up and running.

Thanks for the advice guys!