PDA

View Full Version : Engraving Laptop

Glenn Norton
07-24-2015, 3:32 PM
Question about engraving a laptop. Haven't seen the unit yet but wondering about doing this type of job. What type of case is best? Poked thru google and saw a few there but wanted some experts opinion.

Thanks for the help up front.

Mark Sipes
07-24-2015, 3:43 PM
Have engraved both plastic and metal. The plastics tend to be the ones that melt so start with a low power setting and hit it 2-3 times adjusting the power up, or not. Most of the Apple cases have a satin finish which burns off to a bright finish......... Fiber may turn the case a nice darker color.

Just warn the customer of the expected outcome and they usually say "I just want to be able to read it so it doesn't get stolen"....... Like the engraving will stop a theft.

vic casware
07-26-2015, 11:34 PM
I engraved a HP laptop earlier this year, can't for the life of me find the picture i took.
It was a high end model with a metal case, black, i engraved a large company logo
in the centre at the top, first pass was very patchy so i hit it again, now it is patchy again but
another black layer is coming through, so i hit it again this time it removes that layer
and it's now through to the silver metal base and i can now read black numbers under
the coating so i thought 1 more time should remove that, well after 5 more passes
no way, they must have used some king of recycled metal as the black numbers didn't budge.
ended up cutting laserthin material and sticking that in the logo.

Glenn Norton
07-27-2015, 8:39 PM
Thanks for the info. See what happens when the customer shows up.