PDA

View Full Version : Pens For Friends (Long)

Scott Greaves
06-06-2003, 11:52 AM
Greetings Friends!

In addition to participating here at Sawmill Creek, I also hang out at the Yahoo Penturner's Group. I really like to turn pens! Yes, I also like other types of turning as well, but pens are just so much fun! After the 911 terrorist attacks, I'm sure we all wondered what we could do to help recognize those heroes in our society that often go un-noticed. The Yahoo Penturners Group decided to honor our everyday heroes with a project called "Pens For Friends".

With the Pens For Friends (PFF) project, we choose a group of people who we feel deserves recognition for their service to us all. Groups we have chosen in the past include Teachers, a military base, Nurses, and a 911 call center. We choose a theme and a preferred pen kit, and the members of the group make pens and send them to the sponsoring individual. The group we are honoring judges the pens, the makers of the winning pens are awarded prizes, and the people we are honoring get to keep the pens! It seems to be a good way for us penturners to give something back, and have fun doing it.

So, with all that now explained, here is the announcement of the current Pens For Friends project, posted here by permission of Keith himself!

<B>Official Announcement!</B> It is time for the next Pens For Friends (PFF)! In June and July we are honoring Law Enforcement. The group selected is the Bannock County Sheriff's Department in Pocatello Idaho. The kit selected is the black slimline, and the theme is "Men in Blue" (kind of a take-off from Men in Black!).

The contest runs the months of June and July, but the deadline for submitting entries is July 14th. Entries need to be sent to:

Scott Greaves
1445 Riverton Road
Blackfoot ID 83221

Prizes will be awarded in four categories:

Best pen made to style.
Best pen not made to style.
Most innovative pen.
Most artistic pen.

Selection and awarding of prizes will finish up by July 25th, and announcements will be made on the Penturners Group, and here at Sawmill Creek.

While the Yahoo Penturners Group sponsors the Pens For Friends project, you do not have to be a member of the group to participate. But feel free to visit and/or join the Penturners Group at the link shown: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/penturners/ Membership is free.

The Sheriff's Officer official uniform is the dark blue dress uniform (BDU). And the metal accents are all silver, except for those Lieutenant and above, who have gold.

I understand that all of the people we usually buy pen kits from will be running specials on the applicable kits in the next couple of weeks. Both Berea and Craft Supplies have black slimline kits, and Penn State may have theirs out by now as well. But pens made with any kits, in any style, are also accepted. I encourage you to send in more than one pen, because the Sheriff's Department is large, and it would still be nice to see each one get a pen. If you have ever wanted to say "Thank You" to a police officer, here is your chance!

If you have any questions, please let me know!

Let the turning begin!

Scott.

Aaron Koehl
06-07-2003, 1:14 AM
Be sure to let the Yahoo pen turners know they have
an open invitation to the Creek--
How about inviting the Yahoo pen turners to share
on the Forums?

_Aaron_