PDA

View Full Version : Dog breed rescue groups and microchips.....

Clarence Martin
07-24-2015, 8:46 AM
Does anyone know why a dog breed rescue group that permanently implants a microchip in a dog, would have the chip registered to only the rescue group , and not have it transferrable to the new owner of the Dog ?

Phil Thien
07-24-2015, 8:50 AM
Because they're control freaks?

Lee Schierer
07-24-2015, 8:59 AM
I suspect it is because the chips are all sold in groups to a vet or clinic. When the vet puts a chip in a dog he registers the chip to the dog and the owner, which at the time was probably the rescue group. If the new owner doesn't change the ownership registration through the vet that did the chip insertion, then the registration would stay with the rescue group.

When we purchased our dog, the breeder had already put a chip in him. The breeder gave us a paper with the chip number and it also had the name of the vet that did it. When we went to our vet, the chip in the dog didn't match the paperwork. We took the paper work back to the breeder and were able through the vet to get the ownership corrected.

Clarence Martin
07-24-2015, 9:12 AM
Would it be possible for the Vet to remove the chip after I take ownership of the dog ? I just don't like the idea of someone placing a permanent microchip in a dog that I now own. Sounds like Big Brother watching over the person.

Bill ThompsonNM
07-24-2015, 9:44 AM
Would it be possible for the Vet to remove the chip after I take ownership of the dog ? I just don't like the idea of someone placing a permanent microchip in a dog that I now own. Sounds like Big Brother watching over the person.
Yes possible, but I would make sure I replace it with one registered to you. I think the rescue groups are telling you they don't trust you and if the dog gets lost, they intend to claiim it again. Most groups do register it to themselves, but allow it to be transferred. That's because a very large percentage of chips are never registered, and therefore are totally useless.

Make sure you include your veterinarian on your registration. I've had people move and forget to change their own registration, but they usually keep their vet updated on their new address.

Lee Schierer
07-24-2015, 10:10 AM

Chipping a dog is a good idea. If the dog gets separated from you, any vet or animal shelter can read the chip and get the dog back to you. Yes they can be removed, but changing the registration is easier and far less costly. Any vet should be able to help you change the registration. Once they scan the chip they should be able to determine where it is registered and get it changed if you can prove ownership.

Brian Henderson
07-24-2015, 1:57 PM
Because they're control freaks?

That's more true than you might think. It's why I'd never go to a breed rescue for an animal. A lot of them have rules in their contracts that they can show up at your house whenever they want and if they don't like what they see, they can take the animal back with no refunds and give it to someone else. I've seen some that argue that they can do this for the life of the animal and your house is open to them whenever they decide to show up on your doorstep.

So no, screw breed rescues.

Phil Thien
07-24-2015, 2:12 PM
That's more true than you might think. It's why I'd never go to a breed rescue for an animal. A lot of them have rules in their contracts that they can show up at your house whenever they want and if they don't like what they see, they can take the animal back with no refunds and give it to someone else. I've seen some that argue that they can do this for the life of the animal and your house is open to them whenever they decide to show up on your doorstep.

Oh I was totally serious, I've seen contracts they want people to sign.

Mike Henderson
07-24-2015, 3:20 PM

I too have seen groups that attempt to get you to sign contracts with such restrictions. I highly doubt if a clause such as "they can show up unannounced and demand to see your house and animal" would stand up in court. If I signed such a contract, and they showed up at my house, I'd tell them to sue me to enforce the clause. If they didn't leave, I'd call the police.

I think their hearts are in the right place, but with adoption you have to do due diligence, then let go and hope for the best.

Mike

Brian Henderson
07-24-2015, 8:27 PM
I too have seen groups that attempt to get you to sign contracts with such restrictions. I highly doubt if a clause such as "they can show up unannounced and demand to see your house and animal" would stand up in court. If I signed such a contract, and they showed up at my house, I'd tell them to sue me to enforce the clause. If they didn't leave, I'd call the police.

I think their hearts are in the right place, but with adoption you have to do due diligence, then let go and hope for the best.

Mike

I agree, it's totally unenforceable in practice but that doesn't stop them from giving it a try. I had a neighbor years ago who got a poodle from a breed rescue and they used to show up a lot, at least at the beginning. He sort of played along the first couple of times, bringing the dog out to the porch, then he told them that he didn't wish to be bothered and if they continued to come, he'd have them charged with trespassing and get a restraining order. They sent a nasty letter demanding he return the dog. He threw it away. That's the last he heard from them, that I know of.

Curt Harms
07-25-2015, 8:10 AM
Simple solution is to not deal with groups that make unreasonable demands. There are others that are reasonable. I can understand a group rescuing an animal from a bad situation not wanting that animal to go into a worse situation but there are ways short of lifetime inspection rights to insure that.

Phil Thien
07-25-2015, 8:47 AM
Simple solution is to not deal with groups that make unreasonable demands. There are others that are reasonable. I can understand a group rescuing an animal from a bad situation not wanting that animal to go into a worse situation but there are ways short of lifetime inspection rights to insure that.

I agree.

I agree w/ Mike Henderson that those agreements aren't practically enforceable. But there are plenty of good groups and organizations from which to adopt. We've used the Humane Society but I know people that have used private organizations that host regular get-togethers (simple as beers/sodas at a dog park) where the dogs can see all their old friends (and slaves) and everyone has a good time. And they can hit people up for a few bucks to pay vet bills, etc., for dogs they're rescuing.

The nice thing about those events is that you can network with other breed slaves and learn the ins and outs of that particular breed. Behavioral and health issues can be discussed, I know someone that goes and swaps dog-sitting, too.

Mike Henderson
07-25-2015, 10:59 AM
I agree.

I agree w/ Mike Henderson that those agreements aren't practically enforceable. But there are plenty of good groups and organizations from which to adopt. We've used the Humane Society but I know people that have used private organizations that host regular get-togethers (simple as beers/sodas at a dog park) where the dogs can see all their old friends (and slaves) and everyone has a good time. And they can hit people up for a few bucks to pay vet bills, etc., for dogs they're rescuing.

The nice thing about those events is that you can network with other breed slaves and learn the ins and outs of that particular breed. Behavioral and health issues can be discussed, I know someone that goes and swaps dog-sitting, too.
I prefer the term "servants".:)

My dog thinks he's king and we're just there to serve him.

Mike

Curt Harms
07-26-2015, 8:56 AM
I prefer the term "servants".:)

My dog thinks he's king and we're just there to serve him.

Mike

I was having the same thought Mike. Slave is a little ... harsh. We have cats so "staff" is the preferred term.:)

Phil Thien
07-26-2015, 10:19 AM
I was having the same thought Mike. Slave is a little ... harsh. We have cats so "staff" is the preferred term.:)

Uh, servants and staff are PAID.

I think the two of you are suffering from a bit of Stockholm syndrome.

Mike Henderson
07-26-2015, 1:54 PM
Uh, servants and staff are PAID.

I think the two of you are suffering from a bit of Stockholm syndrome.
Yes, very happily:)

We get paid, just in affection, not money.

Mike

John O'Brien
07-26-2015, 6:16 PM
b belong to a NJ German Shepherd Rescue group and I also worked as a vet tech for 8 years. Our rescue group also puts the microchip in and has the rescue as the primary contact and the owner can be added as a second contact. The reason for the rescue being named first is that if the "adoption" didn't work out, it is in the contract that the dog has to be returned to the rescue. Also, the rescue wants to be sure the dog does not keep getting "lost" from the owner and getting picked up by someone else. A rescue can spend a considerable amount of money on a dog before they are adopted and try very hard to ensure they are going to a good forever home.

In my years in the vet office, no one had ever asked about removing a chip, but I guess if you want to pay it can be done.

John

Phil Thien
07-26-2015, 8:21 PM
b belong to a NJ German Shepherd Rescue group and I also worked as a vet tech for 8 years. Our rescue group also puts the microchip in and has the rescue as the primary contact and the owner can be added as a second contact. The reason for the rescue being named first is that if the "adoption" didn't work out, it is in the contract that the dog has to be returned to the rescue. Also, the rescue wants to be sure the dog does not keep getting "lost" from the owner and getting picked up by someone else. A rescue can spend a considerable amount of money on a dog before they are adopted and try very hard to ensure they are going to a good forever home.

In my years in the vet office, no one had ever asked about removing a chip, but I guess if you want to pay it can be done.

John

I would never consider adopting a dog where I would be listed as secondary contact on the chip.

I would be okay listed as the primary contact responsible for the dog, and the rescue group as #2.

Not the other way around, though.

Scott T Smith
07-26-2015, 8:36 PM

John

John hits the nail on the head; the rescue groups are primarily focused on finding a good "forever" home for the pet, and want to be in the loop if the adopters do not prove to be a good fit.

Shelters are full of unwanted animals; many of which were a "fad pet" of the year (typically trends follow movie dogs such as 101 Dalmatians, etc), and many of these fad pets do not make the best companion animals. Another problem that rescue groups face is that in parts of the country animal fighting still occurs, and the trainers associated with it are always looking for "bait" dogs. Additionally, some folks idea of a good home is to keep a dog on a chain in the yard. It's for these reasons that the rescue orgs want to reserve the right to check out your home, and on one level you can't blame them.

Do some of them go too far? Yes, a minority of rescue groups can be extreme. On the other hand most of the animal rescue groups are comprised of reasonable, caring people who truly want what's best for the animal. It's worth supporting them, and also saving a life by choosing a rescue instead of going through a breeder.

Attempting to remove a microchip from an animal is going to be painful for the animal since they have to be removed surgically. A better option (at least for the pet) would be to have it scanned, and notify the chip company of the revised ownership information.

Clarence Martin
07-26-2015, 9:51 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I checked out the local SPCA and the Rescue Groups. The SPCA has the usual Pit Bulls and Pit mixes. From what I was told, they often come from the City from Drug and gang rings and fighting operations. As much as people say that they are a good dog, I just don't know how you break them of that fighting instinct, once they have been trained to do it. Would not want to have what I would consider, as a ticking TIME BOMB for a Dog!!

What I am looking for is a Hunting Dog, One of the Setters, a German Shorthaired Pointer possibly a Brittany Spaniel. Might even consider a Bluetick Coonhound as something different ! LOL As I have gotten older (As we all have !) , I am looking for a Dog 1 to 4 years old . Something out of the "Puppy Stage." Don't want to have to deal with that, at this stage of my life. I still like a big Dog. I checked the breeders and prices have skyrocketed in the 13 years since I last got a dog. What was $375, is now $1,200.00 for a Pup. and a 1 to 3 year old dog is going for $2,000 to $4,000. More than I want to spend on a Dog!

As for the Breed Rescue groups, Still checking into them. Some of their restrictions, seem completely unenforceable as far as I can see. One Group, says no dogs at all, to households that have children under 6 years of age. Well, what happens if the dog gets adopted out to that family , and 9 or 10 months later, the Wife gives birth to another Child ? Would that Rescue Group have the right to take that dog back because of the no kids under 6 years old in the home clause? That seems unfair and unreasonable.

And then I read another Rescue group's conditions where they said that even though the breed is bred for hunting , they refuse to adopt out the dogs to a home that hunts. REALLY??????:rolleyes:

Clarence