PDA

View Full Version : Stanley 40-1/2 lever cap?

Paul Erickson
08-19-2005, 11:20 AM
Anyone know where I might be able to find a replacement lever cap for a Stanley 40-1/2? I have one that had part of the end broken off, and it is now not long enough to put enough leverage on the original blade to keep it in place. I have put a LV blade in it, and that works fine, but would like to return the plane to its oriiginal functionality.

I guess another option would be to make one from some brass stock I have, but I don't have a grinder available to do a lot of the grunt work.

If anyone has a spare one kicking around that they don't want too much for, I would really appreciate hearing from you.

cheers, Paul

Roger Nixon
08-19-2005, 11:49 AM
St. James Bay Tool Company (http://www.stjamesbaytoolco.com/stanley.html) has what you need. Lie-Nielsen's scrub is #40 1/2 size, they could tell you if their cap fit.

Paul Erickson
08-19-2005, 7:59 PM
Thanks very much. $40 is close to what I paid for the plane, so it seems like the most cost effective option is to keep a LV iron in it, which works better than the original iron anyway. I will check into the LN though. I had thought of using a lever cap from a LV scrub plane, but they are currently not available seperately.

Thanks again very much for the reply/info.

cheers, Paul