PDA

View Full Version : Sling TV

Jerry Thompson
07-23-2015, 1:52 PM
We have stopped our cable TV service. It is too much money for too little viewing, e.g., hundreds of channels/shows that we would never watch.
We put up an antenna and got about 10 channels with excellent reception.
My question is, has anyone used Sling TV? If so how do you like it? Their main package seems to fill the bill for my wife as it has sports channels on it. We already have an old Roku and could use it.
Any experience would be appreciated.

Larry Browning
07-23-2015, 2:47 PM
I do not have first hand knowledge, but I know a few folks that have it. They say it is great for what it is. There are a couple of things holding me back on it. First, you can only watch it on one TV at a time. So if you are watching the big game on the big screen in the den, the wife can't watch HGTV in the bedroom. Of course the reverse is true if she is watching Beachfront Bargains and you want to watch ESPN, you are out of luck. Secondly, there is no real time guide, at least in the same sense as you would get with cable or satellite. Those are the 2 biggest stumbling blocks at my house. Negotiations have stalled at this point:mad:

Also, my understanding is that you can signup for a trial week to see if you like it. The last I checked, if you do signup and you pay for 3 months in advance, they will give you a free Roku Stick or $50 bucks off a Roku 3.

Jerry Thompson
07-23-2015, 3:02 PM
Thanks Larry. We only have one TV and I have an older Roku. It's the wife who would be watching football. I am at the point not much interests me on TV.
As soon as I get my Internet provider decided upon I think I will give it a try. There are only two cable providers here and I don't care for either one. I need the internet as I find it very productive in my life.

Kelly Cleveland
07-23-2015, 3:36 PM
We switched to it after realizing that most of our TV viewing had switched over to netflix. At the same time we also switched to ooma phone. The only drawback for us was no PBS, NBC, ect. Unfortunately we don't get very good reception over the air but that shouldn't be a problem for you.

Larry Browning
07-23-2015, 4:02 PM
Thanks Larry. We only have one TV and I have an older Roku. It's the wife who would be watching football. I am at the point not much interests me on TV.
As soon as I get my Internet provider decided upon I think I will give it a try. There are only two cable providers here and I don't care for either one. I need the internet as I find it very productive in my life.
My experience has been that cable provides the very best internet service. I'm not sure what your other internet options are, but satellite is the worst of them all, DSL is a huge leap forward, but it is not as good as cable.
Others may have different opinions.

BTW: Roku has come a long way with their players, so a new Roku 3 would be a big step up for you. The user interface is nicer and the whole thing is faster.

Phil Thien
07-23-2015, 4:42 PM
I have had Sling for quite a while now. To be perfectly honest, we don't watch it that much, there were some shows we do like watching (like Walking Dead and Game of Thrones) so we use it for that. And March Madness. Otherwise it goes unused. We haven't watched anything on it since Game of Thrones wrapped up the season.

I have a Roku2 and the Sling interface is sorta slow. It is faster on newer Rokus with faster chips. The Roku3 is the fastest, the stick is somewhere between the 3 and the Roku2. The slow response on a Roku2 can be a little bit of a PITA.

Larry Browning
07-23-2015, 4:47 PM
I have a Roku2 and the Sling interface is sorta slow. It is faster on newer Rokus with faster chips. The Roku3 is the fastest, the stick is somewhere between the 3 and the Roku2. The slow response on a Roku2 can be a little bit of a PITA.

I only have experience with the Roku 3, but just like Phil, everyone I have ever talked to says the 2 is very slow compared to the 3, and it is annoying.