PDA

View Full Version : Checklist for buying a used SwingMill?

Todd Burch
07-23-2015, 12:13 PM
Does anyone have any suggestions or notes for what to look at when inspecting a used Swing Mill for purchase? (for a first time Swing Mill owner)

Thanks, Todd

Scott T Smith
07-23-2015, 10:17 PM
Check the track sections to make sure that they are straight and flat. There is a 3/16" guide rail on top of the track sections - make sure that it isn't damaged. Look for burn marks on the blades; the presence thereof means that you may need to have the blades retensioned. Also look for damaged or missing carbide teeth in the blades. Paynes in the south and Menominee Saw in the North are two good saw shops. It should come with a sharpening device that you can use on the mill w/o removing the blade.

Check to make sure that the carriage moves freely up and down and side to side.

Check the gearbox for play in both the input as well as the output shafts.

It would be best to mill a log with it, but if it's low hours it's not necessary. The factory manual will walk you through all of the adjustments and even more importantly - the sequence that the adjustments are made in.

Don't run it w/o checking to be sure that the blade attachment bolts are properly tightened.

I use a "Tiltbox" digital to adjust mine, along with an accurate tape measure and a straight edge that will span the tracks.

Todd Burch
07-23-2015, 11:15 PM
This is awesome Scott!! Thank you so much!

Todd Burch
07-29-2015, 12:11 PM
Well, I bought the mill I went to look at. It's in pretty good shape for being 14 years old. Might have to eventually replace the lower seal on on the gear box. Looking forward to getting it set up and making some shavings!

2001 Peterson 10" Winch Production Frame, hi/lo track set up, clip on slabber.

Danny Hamsley
07-29-2015, 9:08 PM
Looking forward to this adventure!

Larry Edgerton
08-01-2015, 7:07 AM
I'm jealous! I want a swing mill to play with. I told my wife to buy me a TurboSaw when she wins the lottery.

I used to live in Kerrville Texas in the 70's, owned part of a paving company. Bought a used gravel plant in Chappel Hill area, nice place to live it seemed. Be interested in hearing about your journey.

Larry

Scott T Smith
08-02-2015, 10:26 PM
Nice score Todd! Can't wait to see pix!

Todd Burch
08-04-2015, 3:16 PM
Here are a couple picks from when I went to pick it up and had it loaded in the truck.

30' of track, so I guess that's about a max log capacity of about 24'.

318938 318937 318939

That's a lot of saw to fit in one truck. Glad I borrowed my dad's truck and didn't take mine that has a toolbox in the back.

Todd

Danny Hamsley
08-04-2015, 8:58 PM
Looks to be in good shape. I have only seen one run. Pretty cool.

Scott T Smith
08-05-2015, 10:49 AM
It looks like you bought a nice mill! One thing to remember is that the track sections are numbered. Assemble them so that the numbers match where they join.

Cody Colston
08-06-2015, 5:28 PM
Post some pics of the mill when you get it operating. Please.