PDA

View Full Version : Holy Moly

Michael Ray Smith
07-23-2015, 11:54 AM
I apologize in advance if this violates any rules, but has anyone else seen the Union equivalent of a No. 1 plane that's up for sale on that auction site that shall not be named? It's pushing three grand.

Maurice Ungaro
07-23-2015, 1:53 PM
A fool and his money, never should have gotten together in the first place.

Bruce Page
07-23-2015, 1:58 PM
I apologize in advance if this violates any rules, but has anyone else seen the Union equivalent of a No. 1 plane that's up for sale on that auction site that shall not be named? It's pushing three grand.

eBay links are not allowed at SMC but you can post the eBay listing number so others can find it.

Frederick Skelly
07-23-2015, 7:08 PM
Wood River #1 only costs $125. Does everything I ask it to do. :)

Jim Koepke
07-23-2015, 7:23 PM
Wood River #1 only costs $125. Does everything I ask it to do. :)

Item #351457509211 (my best guess, maybe Michael Ray can confirm)

The bidding has very little to do with the actual functionality of this plane. It has more to do with the rarity and bragging rights afforded one who owns such a relic.

The Wood River wasn't available when my LN #1 was purchased. If a Stanley #1 was available to me, it would have to be at a price for what the LN could be sold or less. It would also have to be in good enough condition to use. Not a collector grade tool.

jtk

Frederick Skelly
07-23-2015, 7:36 PM

The bidding has very little to do with the actual functionality of this plane. It has more to do with the rarity and bragging rights afforded one who owns such a relic.

The Wood River wasn't available when my LN #1 was purchased. If a Stanley #1 was available to me, it would have to be at a price for what the LN could be sold or less. It would also have to be in good enough condition to use. Not a collector grade tool.

jtk

You're absolutely right Jim. Just a poor attempt at a joke on my part. :)

I sure like the LN. I just couldn't convince myself to drop $225 on a tool I just wanted to try out for fun. When WR came up with theirs for $125, I figured I could goof-away that much money without any guilt. If I ever find myself using it a bunch, I'd probably sell it cheap and buy the LN like you.

Take care!
Fred

ken seale
07-24-2015, 2:23 PM
eBay links are not allowed at SMC but you can post the eBay listing number so others can find it.

Ridiculous rule. Every other website allows this...:rolleyes:

Maurice Ungaro
07-24-2015, 2:35 PM
It's not an onerous rule, & it's not a deal breaker for me.

Jim Koepke
07-24-2015, 2:48 PM
Ridiculous rule. Every other website allows this...:rolleyes:

The problem may be due to SMC posts being kept forever. In a few short months the links go dead. It also prevents people from listing something on an auction site and then promoting it here.

I have nothing to do with the rules. There may be reasons that are not listed. I try to live with the rules as we have them.

I think posting an image is okay. I prefer images posted to SMC even though my control of the image is diminished. Images linked from other sites tend to end up with broken links over time.

jtk

Kyle Iwamoto
07-24-2015, 3:21 PM
I'm going to bid! :eek:

How's the WR #1 Frederick? I don't have a #1. Is is of much use? Dropping $125 for a tool that sees little use for me is not in the cards..... I think they look cool...... I want one too.

ken seale
07-24-2015, 3:31 PM

I'm glad for you. For me, it's the reason that I'm not a paid member.

Maurice Ungaro
07-24-2015, 4:38 PM
That's ok, I'm sure someone else's dues will cover the void.

ian maybury
07-24-2015, 4:48 PM
Interestingly enough it looks like it's bid up to $2,800 so far. I guess the other side of the money story is that when you have plenty prices may seem quite different. It seems our perception of money (as most other things) is highly relative….

Michael Ray Smith
07-24-2015, 5:33 PM
When WR came up with theirs for $125, I figured I could goof-away that much money without any guilt.
Fred

That's exactly what I thought when I saw that little guy at my local Woodcraft store. The LN is too much money to drop on a tool just because it's cool, but $125 is beginning to get close to what I'd pay for a No. 1 plane. Haven't done it yet, but you never know. There's always Christmas!

Michael Ray Smith
07-24-2015, 5:36 PM
That's exactly what I thought when I saw that little guy at my local Woodcraft store. The LN is too much money to drop on a tool just because it's cool, but $125 is beginning to get close to what I'd pay for a No. 1 plane. Haven't done it yet, but you never know. There's always Christmas!

By the way, I actually bid $125 on that Union No. 1 precisely because that's what the Wood River costs. Obviously it didn't take long for my bid to be irrelevant.

Kent A Bathurst
07-24-2015, 5:46 PM

That's ok, I'm sure someone else's dues will cover the void.

Fer real? The main feature a forum must have is the ability to provide one-click links to ebay?

I don't understand the attraction - - I have not spent 30 minutes on ebay in calendar '15. I don't have that much stuff I want to buy, apparently, for it to be a driving force in my life. Just simply confused.

I think it is terrific that there are forums that provide fast access to items for sale - - glad you've found them and are able to spend time there, ken

Maurice Ungaro
07-24-2015, 5:52 PM
Yup, Kent, when I want eBay, I'll go there. Obviously, it's not my train of thought when I'm wading in the Creek!

Frederick Skelly
07-24-2015, 7:25 PM

How's the WR #1 Frederick? I don't have a #1. Is is of much use? Dropping $125 for a tool that sees little use for me is not in the cards..... I think they look cool...... I want one too.

I like it Kyle. It's exactly the same footprint/size of my LN low angle block. But there are times when it just seems to fit the task better, like when using two hands gives me better control. (I'm sure others can use two hands on their block planes, but that doesn't work well for me. I COULD live without it, but it sometimes feels like just the right tool for the job. Someone with better skills might feel differently.

Fred

Maurice Ungaro
07-24-2015, 7:29 PM
Fred, you know, I seem to have that same set up with my LV LA Block that has the added tote and knob. It's my go to block/mini smoother.

Frederick Skelly
07-24-2015, 7:31 PM

Your choice, of course.

Speaking personally, I'm fine with the policy. Keith and the Mods run a tight ship.

Frederick Skelly
07-24-2015, 7:35 PM

Woodcraft is having a sale today and tomorrow - you can get it for $102 Michael!

Frederick Skelly
07-24-2015, 7:38 PM
Fred, you know, I seem to have that same set up with my LV LA Block that has the added tote and knob. It's my go to block/mini smoother.

You're right Maurice. IIRC, LV advertizes that setup as roughly equal to a #2. But I'll bet it works just as well.

Jim Koepke
07-25-2015, 12:10 AM

I like it Kyle. It's exactly the same footprint/size of my LN low angle block. But there are times when it just seems to fit the task better, like when using two hands gives me better control. (I'm sure others can use two hands on their block planes, but that doesn't work well for me. I COULD live without it, but it sometimes feels like just the right tool for the job. Someone with better skills might feel differently.

Fred

For me the #1 is easier to use one handed than most block planes. It might be due to an injured right hand. Mostly it works and handles better for me than a standard angle block plane.

It doesn't get as much use as any of my other planes, but it comes in handy at times.

Unless one does a lot of small work, and even then, there are other ways the work can be done. At times it is the best tool for the job.

jtk

Paul McGaha
07-25-2015, 5:44 AM
I saw a #1 up close last summer at a LN event. I was surprised at how tiny it was.

I was also surprised at how large a #8 was as that was the first time I'd seen one.

PHM

Moses Yoder
07-25-2015, 6:03 AM
I once posted a picture of a lantern that was coming up at a local auction on a lantern collecting forum. The ensuing melee taught me more about human nature and money than I had ever known before. If the mods allowed links to eBay soon there would be links to live auctions and enemies would be made. I just copied the item # that was posted and did a search on ebay and added the auction to my watch list. What's so hard about that? It will be interesting to see the final price.

If I found #1 of any sort cheap at a garage sale I would buy it and keep it but I have no actual use for one. I plan on buying the Lee Valley block plane with all the accessories.

Paul McGaha
07-25-2015, 7:32 AM
The problem may be due to SMC posts being kept forever. In a few short months the links go dead. It also prevents people from listing something on an auction site and then promoting it here.

I have nothing to do with the rules. There may be reasons that are not listed. I try to live with the rules as we have them.

I think posting an image is okay. I prefer images posted to SMC even though my control of the image is diminished. Images linked from other sites tend to end up with broken links over time.

jtk

I feel the same as Jim.

PHM

John Lanciani
07-25-2015, 7:42 AM

Its one of the reasons I AM a paid member. Keeps things civil and on the up and up. No shady links from people promoting their own interests over those of the owners of the site.

lowell holmes
07-25-2015, 10:26 AM

jtk

Jim,

Do you use the #1 bench plane? If so, what does it do a block plane does not do.

I've been resisting the Wood River #1. It kind of reminds me of a beautiful girl friend that does not do much, but look pretty.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-25-2015, 10:42 AM
OK so since I REALLY cannot afford to get a real #1 at 2800 bucks, the local Woodcraft has a sale where I just backordered a #1 Wood River. Thanks all for helping me get rid of that extra 116 bucks or so.......

Frederick Skelly
07-25-2015, 10:46 AM
Glad to help. :)

Hey, seriously though, please drop a quick post after you use it so we can compare impressions on the pros/cons of this tool. Would be a useful addition to the accumulated knowledge here.

Take care!
Fred

Art Mann
07-25-2015, 11:11 AM

Since you are not a paid member, why are you being so presumptuous as to offer such an opinion? If you are going to remain a freeloader, you should at least refrain from offering obnoxious opinions to the management.

Jim Koepke
07-25-2015, 1:54 PM
OK so since I REALLY cannot afford to get a real #1 at 2800 bucks, the local Woodcraft has a sale where I just backordered a #1 Wood River. Thanks all for helping me get rid of that extra 116 bucks or so.......

Your welcome, spending other people's money is always fun.

jtk

Michael Ray Smith
07-25-2015, 2:03 PM
I plan on buying the Lee Valley block plane with all the accessories.

Good call.

Tom McMahon
07-25-2015, 2:19 PM
The advantage of the #1 over a block plane is the chip breaker or double iron. The chip breaker gives you the ability to plane in any direction in tight places and still control tear out. If you don't use the chip breaker to control tear out there is no advantage.