PDA

View Full Version : Question on triangular files for sharpening teeth

Frederick Skelly
07-22-2015, 7:13 PM
Steve Latta sharpens his string inlay tools with "Grobet #2" file. LN sells a "4 inch double extra slim taper" file. Does anyone know how to compare the sizes of these two? Is there some cross-reference between these two naming conventions?

(Background. As we discussed over the weekend, his tools are filed like a crosscut saw. So he said he sharpens them the same way, using this #2 file. I tried to call LN today but they must've been busy and didnt answer.)

Thanks guys!
Fred

Jim Koepke
07-22-2015, 7:22 PM
I tried to call LN today but they must've been busy and didnt answer.

I get this a lot, not necessarily with LN. But then there is east coast time and west coast time. If it is 3:00pm here, they have all left the building and are likely home eating dinner.

jtk

Mike Allen1010
07-22-2015, 10:25 PM
4" double extra slim is as fine/ narrow as saw files get. The only smaller options are "needle file" also available from Grobet, or a Japanese "feather edge" saw file. Depending on the width of your string inlay tool, any of these could work. Personally, I use the Japanese file because it's the narrowest I've got and my inlay tools are narrow (.025").

Go get'em Fred- you can do it!!

Frederick Skelly
07-22-2015, 10:34 PM
Thanks Mike! I'll keep you posted!
Fred

Bill Houghton
07-23-2015, 4:53 PM
I get this a lot, not necessarily with LN. But then there is east coast time and west coast time. If it is 3:00pm here, they have all left the building and are likely home eating dinner.

jtk

And, in season, watching hockey.