PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0766 Projects

Jim Sevey
07-21-2015, 11:55 PM
I think owners of the new G0766 have had enough time to finish some projects. One of my favorites is this bowl made from Osage Orange (Bois D'arc). I've never posted pictures so I hope this turns out. Time to share those new lathe projects.

Dok Yager
07-22-2015, 10:15 AM
Nice bowl Jim! Really like the oblong form and the base. I`m a huge fan of "natural" edge projects.

Sparky Paessler
07-22-2015, 10:20 AM
Looks good Jim! How big is it? I always have trouble getting the bark to stay on! Good Job!

Randy Red Bemont
07-22-2015, 1:12 PM
Beautiful bowl. I'm still in the learning stage with my 0766 but hope to get where you are someday. Nice job. My projects have all been little cups, vases and spiny tops that the cat loves.

Red

Roger Chandler
07-22-2015, 2:04 PM
Interesting form, in that you turned it from the end grain orientation. Bois d'arc makes some beautiful turnings! I have a hollow form that I made some years ago out of it, and it polished up to a billiard ball shine.

Glad you are liking your new toy! ;)

Jim Sevey
07-22-2015, 6:12 PM
The bowl is about 8" long at the longest point. Sparky- I did lose a bit of bark and there are several worm holes that I had to deal with that caused that. This is a rescue piece from the firewood stack. On particularly loose bark I flood the area with thin CA glue. This wood is very hard and will eventually mellow into a nice orange/deep yellow shade. I currently have a 20" piece of pecan on the lathe that will be of the same design. I have never had a lathe that was this powerful and smooth. I'm spoiled.

Matt Schrum
07-23-2015, 8:30 AM
Below is just a quick snapshot from this morning. The lighting turned things a bit yellow in the picture, but you get the idea. This bowl is about 10 inches in diameter.

Jim Sevey
07-24-2015, 10:51 AM
That's a beauty Matt. What kind of wood?

Jim Sevey
07-24-2015, 10:57 AM

I roughed this out last night. Pecan- about 16" end to end. Hope to get it finished this weekend. I lost some bark on one edge but I recovered it and Might be able to re-attach it. Or I may cut the bark off and go barkless.

Matt Schrum
07-24-2015, 11:09 AM
That's a beauty Matt. What kind of wood?

To be honest, I couldn't tell you. The city has a free log drop off/cutting site, so I drop by there and get some fresh logs when I know I'll have some free time to turn them. This one had a dark, solid center and it really turned out well. Not too bad for about for just starting off :)

Roger Chandler
07-24-2015, 11:16 AM
To be honest, I couldn't tell you. The city has a free log drop off/cutting site, so I drop by there and get some fresh logs when I know I'll have some free time to turn them. This one had a dark, solid center and it really turned out well. Not too bad for about for just starting off :)

Hard to tell from the pic, Matt.....being in Oklahoma, it could be Mesquite, but it has a look sort of like Sissoo, part of the rosewood family. I had some given to me back a few years ago by Kathy Marshall, and it looks very similar to that.

Bob Bergstrom
07-24-2015, 11:16 AM

I roughed this out last night. Pecan- about 16" end to end. Hope to get it finished this weekend. I lost some bark on one edge but I recovered it and Might be able to re-attach it. Or I may cut the bark off and go barkless.

That at bark is way too beautiful to lose. Thin super glue works to start, then colored epoxy to fill gaps. Sand it all bac to match the edge. I've used cadaver bark to replace lost pieces. It will be worth the effort.

Dok Yager
07-24-2015, 8:16 PM
A couple of pieces I have been working on. The first one is a piece of Tazminian Blackwood that I`m doing a platter out of. The second was a "huge" piece of acacia until it split when I was turning it at just 110 rpm :(. It Was about 21" across and off center. After it broke off one of the Y sides due to cracking I missed it is now about 8" deep and 10" wide. Man is this piece of acacia Hard!

318150 318153 318154

Dok Yager
07-25-2015, 11:14 PM
Well I guess this constitutes a "project" :rolleyes: just finished up the bottom of my weight box for the lathe. Re-purposed the shipping crate for this and added a 3/4" plywood bottom. Just need a little more sand and put the top on, she`s done.

Steve Huffman
07-26-2015, 9:13 AM
Below is just a quick snapshot from this morning. The lighting turned things a bit yellow in the picture, but you get the idea. This bowl is about 10 inches in diameter.

A buddy just dropped off a load of wood from Oklahoma, all kinds, and one that looks like that is called "Blackjack Oak" and it's native to there. Dark center almost like walnut with oak looking bark.
Google Blackjack oak and see what you think.

Matt Schrum
07-26-2015, 10:28 AM
A buddy just dropped off a load of wood from Oklahoma, all kinds, and one that looks like that is called "Blackjack Oak" and it's native to there. Dark center almost like walnut with oak looking bark.
Google Blackjack oak and see what you think.

Yeah, that might be it-- or at least it's a heck of a lot closer than anything I was guessing. Thanks for the tip!

Dok Yager
07-26-2015, 1:05 PM
I guess you could call this a "project" :rolleyes: Built a weight box for the new lathe. My garage floor is anything but level back here soo. Re-purposed the shipping crate for this. Just a little more sand and put on the lid.

Jim Sevey
07-26-2015, 11:35 PM

Just to to keep things going. Walnut cap with oak nut. My granddaughters birthday is in August (4th) so I made an acorn gift box for her new jewelry. The oak came off the firewood pile. The walnut is leftover from another project. Took about an hour to turn and was a lot of fun.

Roger Chandler
07-27-2015, 7:32 AM
That is a cool gift presentation, Jim. She will be thrilled! Suggestion: put a card with it that says "every squirrel has to open the acorn to enjoy the goodies inside!"

Klaus Waldeck
07-27-2015, 8:17 AM
I love that acorn. That gives me an idea for a gift for a friend.

Randy Red Bemont
07-27-2015, 8:40 AM
The acorn gift box is an awesome little project. This is on my to do list soon. Thanks for posting.

Red

Scott Brandstetter
07-27-2015, 10:21 AM
I thought I'd throw in a couple projects I've worked on myself. Nothing great, just playing around, getting used to it. The platter was just to get the feel for turning something large, 14 inches was the largest I could go on my previous lathe.318323

The bowl was the first time turning box Elder and it was punky all the way through but wanted to see the colors. Will be used in the shop for spare nuts and bolts318324

This is my favorite "project". My son, his fiance and 10 month old moved back home to Ky after 4 years. He now is going to start working with me in the shop. He decided he wanted to try his hand at a segmented bowl. 318325

Matt Schrum
08-10-2015, 10:19 AM
I'll try and get some more pictures this week, but I mounted a 21.5", ~120-150 pound wet chunk of wood on the lathe this weekend. Long story short, I wasn't able to round it as well as I would have liked before mounting it, but the lathe handled it great. I was able to start off at around 100 RPM and as I turned it down I ended up at about 400 RPM-- although, to be fair, I do have about 450 pounds worth of bricks in the box on the legs. I ended up with a 17-18" diameter bowl, so we'll see how it dries-- hopefully it stays in one piece, otherwise it'll be some really beautiful firewood.

Larry Dubia
08-14-2015, 3:39 PM
Here is a Birch burl bowl I just finished. It is 18" x 3" and has some brass powder in epoxy iimbedded in a couple of cracks. Loving the lathe! I've had it for 2 weeks and have filled two green recycle containers each week plus stuff in the dust collector!

Jim Sevey
08-14-2015, 5:51 PM
That is nice! I hope to start experimenting with metals and minerals soon. Too hot to do much right now. We are topping 100+ most days. No AC in the shop.