PDA

View Full Version : Is superglue food safe???

Dennis Nagle
07-21-2015, 10:27 PM
Hi all, I have a wood mug that I use for all my drinks... from coffee in the morning to Manhattans at night. It cracked and I want to glue the crack up. Is superglue safe to use???

David DeCristoforo
07-21-2015, 11:02 PM
By today's definition of food, probably...

Ron Rutter
07-22-2015, 12:41 AM
By today's definition of food, probably...

Good one Dave! The claim is that all finishes are safe after they are cured Dennis, so should be good to go!

Michelle Rich
07-22-2015, 4:58 AM
:)
by today's definition of food, probably... :d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d

Hilel Salomon
07-22-2015, 7:49 AM
I think that the point is how long does it take for superglue to cure? I would think that the curing time is considerably longer than the time needed for the glue to work. I also think that if you will be using both hot and cold liquids, an epoxy and some curing time would be a better option.

david privett
07-22-2015, 8:58 AM
there is a medicinal grade of super glue it is used in stead of stiches in some cases. Of course it is for external use but I would think there should not be any big contact issues .

Doug Ladendorf
07-22-2015, 9:01 AM
I also think that if you will be using both hot and cold liquids, an epoxy and some curing time would be a better option.

+1 I would use epoxy

Tom Wilson66
07-22-2015, 11:43 AM
Superglue and epoxy both soften with heat, I don't know if your coffee is hot enough to soften them, but you might want to be careful. I believe that epoxy takes a little more heat than the superglue, but am not sure. In either case, do not put the cup in the dishwasher after glueing, unless you want to do the gluing again. The water in the dishwasher gets very hot. If you can find one that is dishwasher safe, I would use that one.

Kyle Iwamoto
07-22-2015, 11:56 AM
Epoxy tastes way better than CA..... JK

I'd give up on that. Liquids and heat and cold will continue to make the wood move and crack. You'll chase that crack forever. DAMHIKT

How did you seal it up in the first place?

Pat Scott
07-23-2015, 8:12 AM
You didn't say how big of crack or where it is on the mug. If it's a hairline crack then you could try gluing if you really must. Otherwise I agree with Kyle that CA or epoxy might work for a while but they won't be permanent. I would make a new mug.

Dave Cullen
07-23-2015, 11:45 AM
Yes, it's safe when cured. I have used CA on a ceramic coffee mug and it held up just fine.

john taliaferro
07-24-2015, 8:45 AM
Yes, it's safe when cured. I have used CA on a ceramic coffee mug and it held up just fine.

its safe, fine fine its safe iam fine ,cured ,cured , iam fine . Put it on the shelf and turn another one bigger ,as more coffee is needed as we get older .