PDA

View Full Version : McDonalds....will they ever get it?

Scott Shepherd
07-21-2015, 7:20 PM
All I ever see hear about is McDonalds is hurting, they are trying to figure out a path forward for their restaurant.

I saw a commercial for their sirloin burger about 3 weeks ago and I needed a hamburger fix. I normally eat at McDonalds exactly zero times per month. I walk in, see the different sirloin burgers they have, ahhhh......Bacon Cheeseburger......ummmm.......

I order a Bacon Cheeseburger sirloin thingy, plain. After ordering fast food more times than I've changed my socks, I've got it down to a science. You have to give your order in the same order they key the orders in. You can't say you want a plain hamburger, you have to say you want a hamburger, plain. If you don't, they forget, while searching for the hamburger button, that you said plain. I've mastered my ordering techniques over the years :)

I order the combo, plain, only bacon, only cheese. After a few minutes, the manager calls out my order, reads it as "Bacon Cheeseburger, only cheese, combo". Hey, I'm okay with that, as long as you didn't put pickle juice all over it, I'm flexible. I take the tray, head to fill my drink, and I hear "Sir....Sir......Sir......". I look, but can't see anyone. Then, from around the counter, the person that took my order came over to me and said "Sir, I apologize, I keyed your order in wrong. You asked for bacon and cheese and I keyed in cheese", let me fix that for you. I tell her that it's okay, and she takes me tray from me, walks behind the counter, up to the manager, and tells the manager that she keyed the order in wrong and it was missing the bacon. They said "We'll make you a new one". I told me, no need, just put the bacon on it, or just hand it back to me like that, it was okay. Nope. We're making you a new one.

They make me a new one, get me a brand new, hot order of fries, and send me off to enjoy it. It was probably the best hamburger I've ever eaten at McDonalds in all my years. In fact, it's probably in the top 3 of all time best hamburgers I've ever eaten at a fast food place. I was impressed. Wow, if this is what McDonalds is like now, then I'll be back.

I'm pushed for time tonight, think "I'm going to McDonalds to get one of those sirloin burgers".

I roll up, walk in, look at the menu....what....wait......what's going on here? No sirloin burgers. I stepped up and said "No sirloin burgers?" and was told "Nope, I can't believe it either, those things were good" from the cashier.

That's really sad, they show that they CAN make some really good food, but for some reason, they choose not to. I ate my McNuggets, and bid farewell.....until that Sirloin burger comes back :)

They almost had me as a customer...

Pat Barry
07-21-2015, 8:26 PM
Nice story Scott, now when are those tasty McRib sandwiches coming back?

David Ragan
07-21-2015, 8:31 PM

+1 on McRib

Paul McGaha
07-21-2015, 8:39 PM
We're using 5 Guys for burgers these days. Really good. It's a treat to go there.

PHM

Moses Yoder
07-21-2015, 8:43 PM
Because we have a slow web speed here at the house I occasionally on a weekend morning use the free wifi at McDonalds while eating breakfast. In Goshen they don't know me that well and I have to get the burritos for breakfast, which are fine. The manager in Middlebury knows me and they will get out nuggets at 6 in the morning so long as the frier is on and make a 20 piece for me. Those are the only items I have eaten at McD in years.

Sunday morning, it just happened to coincide with my order, the manager asked the guy or girl (I am honestly not sure which it was) that took my order to wash the dishes before he or she left. It threw a fit and stomped it's feet and said "I was in the army! I risked my life for this country and now you are telling me I have to wash dishes?" Then it punched out and left. I just shook my head. The guys I know who served would have washed the dishes and kicked butt while they were doing it.

John A langley
07-21-2015, 10:01 PM
Paul Plus one on 5 Guys & firehouse for subs

Jason Roehl
07-22-2015, 6:43 AM

Only time I eat at McD's anymore is when the McRib is out. I have no illusions of what's in the thing (definitely not rib meat), but it's tasty indeed.

Mike Null
07-22-2015, 7:01 AM
I stop for breakfast--coffee, as good as you can get anywhere and only a buck, and a sausage and cheese mcmuffin.

You can have my mcribs. The fries are always good but I can't handle the rest of their menu.

Jerome Stanek
07-22-2015, 7:22 AM
I only go to Mcd's when I'm going to my daughter' house I order 2 cheese burgers plain no pickles or onions. When I get to her house I treat her dogs to Mcd's so called food. one for each but have to break them up as the dogs would swallow them whole each dog is over 100 LBs

John A langley
07-22-2015, 7:54 AM
I stopped eating at McDonald's when they started serving simulated meat that was steamed The fries are good and my dog like the hamburgers even like them with the pickles and mustard

Prashun Patel
07-22-2015, 8:16 AM
Bell, Biv, Devoe.... Now you know:

https://www.yahoo.com/food/yes-you-really-can-order-from-the-mcdonalds-124671001907.html

Matt Meiser
07-22-2015, 9:05 AM
About the only time I ever go there is when I'm at a particular client--McDonalds is the only place close to their site so if we need to go for a quick lunch that's the choice. They used to have those Angus burgers which tasted halfway decent but last time I was there those were gone.

I actually can't remember the last time I ate fast food. Maybe a month ago when we were on vacation--think we stopped at Wendy's. I'm down to eating out, on average, only once or twice a week. My wife goes out for lunch a few days with coworkers. We used to go out a ton but have been really watching what we eat and I find the more we eat at home, the less I like restaurant (and especially fast "restaurant" food.)

Mike Null
07-22-2015, 10:03 AM
McD's around here does a good job of hiring challenged people and a pretty good job of training them but at times they understaff the counters and chaos breaks out. I just turn around and walk out without comment.

Scott Shepherd
07-22-2015, 6:28 PM
What surprised me, pleasantly, I might add, is that they really seemed to care that the order was wrong and they really wanted to make it right. Honestly, I've never seen that service at any fast food place, nor most sit down restaurants these days, and add to that, that the hamburger was really good. Overall, I walked out of there thinking that they had really made some changes that seemed to be working for them.

Sadly...I was wrong :( Bring my Sirloin Burger back!

Judson Green
07-22-2015, 6:51 PM
So far as fastish food goes I prefer Culver's

Larry Edgerton
07-22-2015, 7:18 PM
I had a purebred Malamute from Nome Alaska that I was teaching to stay in the back of the truck with no chain and after a good day I decided that he needed a reward.

I went to McDonalds and bought a couple of hamburgers and took them out to the truck to give to Ebo, that was the dogs name. I set them on the side of the bed and he walked over, smelled them, and pushed them on the ground. I thought maybe he was confused by the bread, so I picked them up and opened them up to the meat[?]. He just pushed them off on the ground again. This was a dog that I thought would eat anything and a lot of it, but he was not impressed.

I have not eaten at Mcdonalds since........

Scott Shepherd
07-22-2015, 9:11 PM
I had a purebred Malamute from Nome Alaska that I was teaching to stay in the back of the truck with no chain and after a good day I decided that he needed a reward.

I went to McDonalds and bought a couple of hamburgers and took them out to the truck to give to Ebo, that was the dogs name. I set them on the side of the bed and he walked over, smelled them, and pushed them on the ground. I thought maybe he was confused by the bread, so I picked them up and opened them up to the meat[?]. He just pushed them off on the ground again. This was a dog that I thought would eat anything and a lot of it, but he was not impressed.

Ebo was smart! As a kid, I remember getting taken to McDonalds and I hated their hamburger. I took one bite and spit it out in a napkin and never ate another one until I was in my teens. I only tried it once then, and the years between didn't shed light on any vast improvements to my taste buds. I don't mind their breakfast, I can deal with that fine, but I've never liked their regular hamburgers.

Anyone remember Burger Chef from the 70's? I loved those as hamburgers as a kid.

Mike Null
07-22-2015, 9:22 PM
If I want a fast burger I go to Steak and Shake. The burgers are small but fresh and cooked while you wait.

I've always disliked Arby's but they've been advertising a big BLT in this market. I tried one for lunch and was surprised how tasty it was and how much bacon was on it.

Matt Meiser
07-22-2015, 9:24 PM
At a previous job we had some consultants in that did supply chain stuff. They'd just done a supply chain analysis of McDonald's "beef" supply. Disgusting....

Jim Koepke
07-22-2015, 9:36 PM
Mickey D's has never been a choice for me.

I like mustard on my hamburger. Must have gotten used to it at a small chain in the area of my youth called Foster's Freeze.

When ever I asked for mustard on my burger at MD the reaction was always one of disgust. Was that something they looked for when hiring or did they train it in?

They finally got packets of mustard in some of their outlets. About the only thing I would eat there is the Egg McMuffin and then I would ask if they had mustard before I ordered.

jtk

Mark Blatter
07-23-2015, 1:21 AM
When I am in the mood for a quick burger I typically will hit Carl Jr. They have pretty good ones and at a reasonable price. The only thing I really like at McDs is the egg mcmuffin. Those are good and not all that bad for you.

Jason Roehl
07-23-2015, 5:33 AM
Mickey D's has never been a choice for me.

I like mustard on my hamburger. Must have gotten used to it at a small chain in the area of my youth called Foster's Freeze.

When ever I asked for mustard on my burger at MD the reaction was always one of disgust. Was that something they looked for when hiring or did they train it in?

They finally got packets of mustard in some of their outlets. About the only thing I would eat there is the Egg McMuffin and then I would ask if they had mustard before I ordered.

jtk

I don't think McD's burger "recipes" have changed, but when I worked there 23 years ago, there was mustard on the hamburger, cheeseburger and quarter-pounder--standard (along with ketchup, pickles and onions). Granted, there wasn't much mustard on there, but you could order it with extra if you wanted (called a "grill" order--and I learned that was the best way to get a fresh burger). My biggest issue with fast-food burgers is that thanks to lawsuits and subsequent health codes, they cook those things dead now. No thanks. I like a thick burger cooked medium rare to medium.

Pat Barry
07-23-2015, 7:52 AM

The dog was actually telling you that you couldn't bribe him with a couple hamburgers. He was expecting the McRib sandwich!

Curt Harms
07-23-2015, 10:57 AM
If I want a fast burger I go to Steak and Shake. The burgers are small but fresh and cooked while you wait.

I've always disliked Arby's but they've been advertising a big BLT in this market. I tried one for lunch and was surprised how tasty it was and how much bacon was on it.

I wish there were Steak 'n' Shakes around here but there aren't. Their menu is a good step up from McDonalds/BurgerKing/Wendys etc. I often had their Cincinnati-ish Chili. We have two cats that love Arby's roast beef. Buddy knows the word "Arbys" and will come running if he hears it - or smells it. Arbys ranks right up there with seeing the grill cooking away in their world. Spoiled? Nah, what would make you say that?;)

Phil Thien
07-23-2015, 11:05 AM
So far as fastish food goes I prefer Culver's

I do think they serve an above-average burger.

Duane Meadows
07-23-2015, 1:06 PM
The dog was actually telling you that you couldn't bribe him with a couple hamburgers. He was expecting the McRib sandwich!

+1. Smart dog!

Jerome Stanek
07-23-2015, 2:44 PM
I wish there were Steak 'n' Shakes around here but there aren't. Their menu is a good step up from McDonalds/BurgerKing/Wendys etc. I often had their Cincinnati-ish Chili. We have two cats that love Arby's roast beef. Buddy knows the word "Arbys" and will come running if he hears it - or smells it. Arbys ranks right up there with seeing the grill cooking away in their world. Spoiled? Nah, what would make you say that?;)

I loved Arby's back in the day when they slow roasted their beef and sliced it right in front of you. It wasn't the processed junk they sell now. I do like their fish sandwiches though

Chuck Wintle
07-23-2015, 3:41 PM
I loved Arby's back in the day when they slow roasted their beef and sliced it right in front of you. It wasn't the processed junk they sell now. I do like their fish sandwiches though
and these companies think the consumer will never notice the switch.

Kent A Bathurst
07-23-2015, 5:56 PM
There was a time in the mid-70's....can't remember the details..can barely remember the mid-70's......when McD had some kind of anniversary promotion - maybe 25 yrs? - and they had hamburgers - -the basic hamburger - on sale at 15 cents.

Sitting at the bar in the basement of the frat, drinking draft beer, having previously completed certain controlled experiments on comprehension adjustment.

Reach in the wallet, grab a $5, turn around and yell: "Hey!! Pledge!! Go get us $5 worth of hamburgers, please!!"

Not having spent the time on actual math, to realize what that meant...........back comes bags of burgers - - 33 in all.

Everybody had plenty, that's for sure.

Jim Koepke
07-23-2015, 5:56 PM
but when I worked there 23 years ago

It may be well over 23 years since I have been into a McD's. I make my own version of the Egg McMuffin at home now.

jtk

Phil Thien
07-23-2015, 6:13 PM
The big news today is that McDonalds announced that their "breakfast all day" test has been a success and they will make their breakfast menu available 24/7 at all locations starting in October.

Quite frankly the only thing I've had there that I've thought was halfway decent was the regular cheeseburger ($1 menu), and the "sausage and egg McMuffin," which runs over $4 which is odd seeing as the sausage-only McMuffin (which has cheese but no egg) is $1, so basically you're paying $3 for a fried egg.

They used to have good fries but changed the formulation of their oil and ruined them (terrible aftertaste now).

Larry Edgerton
07-23-2015, 6:15 PM
Anyone remember Burger Chef from the 70's? I loved those as hamburgers as a kid.

Where I grew up was far from any fast food joints, but I went to Mount Pleasant to compete in the track state finals and there was a Burger Chef there. I thought they were good myself, but then they were something different and I was just a kid, what did I know?

Burger Chef and Jeff.........

Larry Edgerton
07-23-2015, 6:19 PM
There was a time in the mid-70's....can't remember the details..can barely remember the mid-70's......

I have that same syndrome! I think I may have picked it up at a CCR concert.

Kent A Bathurst
07-23-2015, 6:35 PM
I have that same syndrome! I think I may have picked it up at a CCR concert.

Naah man -- Not CCR....I think it was most likely Little Feat, but may have been Jethro Tull.............I know for sure that Catfish Hodge caused a lot of it, performing occasionally at a bar on S Main in Blacksburg, VA - 2 blocks from the frat house -- but don't know if you ever heard of him.......Detroit-area guy, though.....

Ole Anderson
07-23-2015, 11:38 PM
Yea, those sirloin burgers are really good. But aren't they just a promotional item, so they won't stay around? What I miss at McDonald's are the Johnsonville Brats they sold several years ago in the summer.

What is really good? The fries from Five Guys where they actually have sacks of potatoes in the lobby showing they aren't factory made and frozen like everyone else's. So what is so hard about making fresh fries?

Paul McGaha
07-24-2015, 4:08 AM
There was a time in the mid-70's....can't remember the details..can barely remember the mid-70's......when McD had some kind of anniversary promotion - maybe 25 yrs? - and they had hamburgers - -the basic hamburger - on sale at 15 cents.

Sitting at the bar in the basement of the frat, drinking draft beer, having previously completed certain controlled experiments on comprehension adjustment.

Reach in the wallet, grab a $5, turn around and yell: "Hey!! Pledge!! Go get us $5 worth of hamburgers, please!!"

Not having spent the time on actual math, to realize what that meant...........back comes bags of burgers - - 33 in all.

Everybody had plenty, that's for sure.

I was working at a McDonalds for that. It would have been 1975 or 1976. It was crazy. Just selling the small burgers and occasionally someone would order a drink. People weren't ordering fries or anything else on the menu.

Our grill had the capacity to cook 96 of the small patties and we had to keep the grill full until way into the evening to keep up. Our bun supplier had to keep a truck on site all day to keep us in buns. It took a couple of trucks as I recall.

I think McDonald's food was way better back then.

PHM

Curt Harms
07-24-2015, 8:04 AM

I'm not sure if the chunks of roast beef are raw when started or if they're reheated but the chunks are definitely sliced as needed for their roast beef sandwiches at the two we frequent. You may well be right about some of the other offerings. I did order a 'limited time' sandwich one time because it sounded good. It did not live up to its billing - at all.

Chris Parks
07-24-2015, 8:17 AM
It may be well over 23 years since I have been into a McD's. I make my own version of the Egg McMuffin at home now.

jtk

Never been in one or a KFC or any other fast food joint that is part of a chain. I know, I am weird, there I have said it.

Phil Thien
07-24-2015, 8:34 AM
I'm not sure if the chunks of roast beef are raw when started or if they're reheated but the chunks are definitely sliced as needed for their roast beef sandwiches at the two we frequent. You may well be right about some of the other offerings. I did order a 'limited time' sandwich one time because it sounded good. It did not live up to its billing - at all.

There is an interesting snopes article about their roast beef:

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/arbys.asp

I'm still not clear on what is actually is (other than delicious). I can't figure out if it is low-end cuts of beef with some chemical that tenderizes the snot out of it, or if it is actually pressed/glued bits of beef.

This inquiring mind sort of doesn't want to know. Okay go ahead and tell me, I can take it.

Brian Ashton
07-25-2015, 11:23 PM
I avoid rotten ronnies at all costs. In my early twenties I'd stop in and get a couple egg mcmuffins on my way to the job site... Without exception I wouldn't be hungry again till well after lunch if I ate a couple of those plastic disks. If I took the time and made my own egg and bacon muffins without exception I'd be ready to eat again by the first break of the day. I have no idea what's in their "food" but I doubt it's actually digestible. Personally when anyone suggests rotten ronnies for a quick bite I say I'd rather eat dirt or meet them after I've gone somewhere where actual food is served. Wouldn't eat it even f they were giving it away.

KFC ain't any better. Ordered a dinner their thinking they should be better than rotten ronnies and all I can say is what was suppose to be a leg was some sort of animal tissue compressed into the shape of a leg.

Mel Fulks
07-25-2015, 11:40 PM
I stopped going when they stopped keeping a little inventory ready. Me: what do you have ready now?
Cashier: we'll make whatever you want!
Me: if I had time to wait I'd go somewhere where the food is good.

Pat Barry
07-26-2015, 9:16 PM
I avoid rotten ronnies at all costs. In my early twenties I'd stop in and get a couple egg mcmuffins on my way to the job site... Without exception I wouldn't be hungry again till well after lunch if I ate a couple of those plastic disks. If I took the time and made my own egg and bacon muffins without exception I'd be ready to eat again by the first break of the day. I have no idea what's in their "food" but I doubt it's actually digestible. Personally when anyone suggests rotten ronnies for a quick bite I say I'd rather eat dirt or meet them after I've gone somewhere where actual food is served. Wouldn't eat it even f they were giving it away.

KFC ain't any better. Ordered a dinner their thinking they should be better than rotten ronnies and all I can say is what was suppose to be a leg was some sort of animal tissue compressed into the shape of a leg.

Yeah, you gotta get the sausage mcmuffin with egg. Much better than the egg mcmuffin!

Dennis Aspö
07-27-2015, 3:47 AM
I prefer to cook my own now that it's summer time.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7780/17757875116_3c17edc216_c.jpg

Blue cheese on a burger, it's the best.

John A langley
07-27-2015, 7:39 AM
Dennis you're making me hungry , blue cheese is great on a burger

Brian Ashton
07-27-2015, 7:46 AM
Yeah, you gotta get the sausage mcmuffin with egg. Much better than the egg mcmuffin!

bleck! Thinking of rotten ronnies sausage, it honestly makes me lose any craving for something to eat.

bill kaminski
07-27-2015, 9:29 PM
When you go to the West Pier drive in in Sault Ste. Marie Mi. and have a bacon cheeseburger, then you will truly know what a burger is! The best ever!:)