PDA

View Full Version : LaserWorks question: "special mode"

John Noell
07-21-2015, 6:46 PM
The manual (such as it is) says, " Scan mode: There are two modes for your selection: the general mode and the special mode, in the general mode, there’s no any treatment during the scan, in the special mode, light spots will be treated. If the special mode is activated, the power of the laser should be increased and correspondingly, the light spot percentage will be lower and the laser power attenuation will be higher, to achieve the same depth of scanning, the laser power should be higher. The purpose to select the special mode is to make the laser to emit beams at high power and in short period, during deep scanning, the effect of flat bottom can be achieved, however, if the light spots are improperly adjusted, this effect may not be achieved and the working mode of high power and short period may influence the service life of the laser. The default mode is the general mode."

Does anyone know (a) does special mode really improve flatness of the engraved area, and (b) what do they mean by "if light spots are improperly adjusted"? I do a lot of inlays using the George Perzel method and in some woods the grain can engrave rather unevenly. Smoother/flatter would be nice.

John Noell
07-23-2015, 2:03 PM
Has anyone tried "special mode" at all?

Ron Gosnell
07-23-2015, 2:33 PM
however, if the light spots are improperly adjusted, this effect may not be achieved and the working mode of high power and short period may influence the service life of the laser. The default mode is the general mode."

I haven't been brave enough to try it. But I haven't been brave enough to try 3/4 of the different settings yet. Call me chicken :)

Gozzie