PDA

View Full Version : new writing surface for an old roll top desk

Zane Harris
07-21-2015, 5:21 PM
I have an old roll top desk that I inherited from my father. Most of my life it had a hard green rubber writing surface inlaid into the top, but about twenty years ago the desk went through a flood and the rubber writing surface was lost during the restoration. It was replaced with a piece of vinyl upholstery. That has since not worn well, and I would like to replace it with a hard rubber writing surface again. Any suggestions where I could find this material? The dimensions I would need are approximately 48 x 30 inches. TIA.

Lonnie Gallaher
07-21-2015, 5:34 PM
My first thought would be the rubber mats that are used on drafting tables. I know they are still available as I was looking into buying one.

Dave Verstraete
07-21-2015, 5:53 PM
My first thought would be the rubber mats that are used on drafting tables. I know they are still available as I was looking into buying one.

X2 The old drafting tables had the same material.

jerry cousins
07-21-2015, 5:53 PM
check with architect supply stores - they should have it in rolls
jerry

Mel Fulks
07-21-2015, 6:18 PM
I think that it was probably genuine linoleum but if you can't find it the newer materials will work.

Zane Harris
07-21-2015, 7:22 PM
I had not thought of the linoleum approach. That gives a lot more color options.

I think that it was probably genuine linoleum but if you can't find it the newer materials will work.

Lud martinson
07-21-2015, 8:01 PM
Ditto with jerry's reply. An art supply store may have the same as well. I believe I've seen something similar in the local drafting shop.

Lonnie Gallaher
07-21-2015, 11:46 PM
The linoleum comment reminded me of a product I have seen spec'd on some projects. It is called Marmoleum. It is the new linoleum.