PDA

View Full Version : Wenge end table (Which comes first - material or design?)

Rob Parsons
07-21-2015, 10:51 AM
In this case - material - in the form of a wenge kitchen counter top off cut.

I wasn't going to post this, but a Creeker friend talked me into it.

A little back story. A friend's young daughter was working as a accounting temp. One of the places she worked at was a company making high end wood kitchen counter tops. They liked her so much that they hired her full time, and within a year she became managing director. Only 26 and running a company with over 7 figures in revenue. Very talented young lady.

A couple of months ago her dad and I go by for a shop tour and a visit to their scrap pile. We brought home an SUV full - all we could carry. Mostly smaller pieces. Mostly irregular. Mostly 8/4. Domestic and exotic.

One of the pieces she gave us, was a wenge slab that was cut off a counter top. I didn't even know people made counter tops out of wenge. Very expensive.

This piece was 32 x 25".
It took me a couple of months to come up with a plan. We had an old 1980's ugly oak end table that was on my replacement list.

Here it is in all its glory.

When I saw these hair pin legs online, the light bulb went off. I like the steel and wood retro industrial look. Plus I wanted a counterpoint to the arts and crafts furniture in the room.

Rob Parsons
07-21-2015, 10:54 AM
I feel a little guilty about how easy it was, but I like the result.

Mark Stutz
07-21-2015, 12:03 PM
Wish I had some scraps like that! Not normally a fan of the "industrial" look but this really works well, especially with that lamp.

Rob Parsons
07-21-2015, 12:53 PM
Thanks. Maybe industrial wasn't the best description.

It's probably more of a mid century modern look. I agree that a little of the industrial look goes a long way.

Jon Grider
07-21-2015, 3:08 PM
Nice piece of Wenge, and those hairpin legs are cool too.

Andrew Hughes
07-21-2015, 11:45 PM
That is a nice table looks like some high falutin designer made it.:)
I also have the same looking Bruce red oak flooring.Laid down in 1952. Thanks for sharing

Walt Caza
07-29-2015, 2:25 PM
I wasn't going to post this, but a Creeker friend talked me into it.
When I saw these hair pin legs online, the light bulb went off.

Good Day Rob,
Looking at the raw slab on your workbench, I never would have got to where you ended up going with it!

I see you made some square dogs for your round bench holes?
The slim wedges on the dowels-of-the-dawgs are a nyice touch.

The second photo is a real teaser, with your Morris chair hiding in the corner!

I think your Wenge end table turned out great!
Totally works with your other elements & a handsome slab table on it’s own.
For me, it just kills with that artsy-craftsy lamp! Terrific pairing...

I probably would have tried to use wood not metal, and I probably would Not have hit such a high note.
Take credit for a clever design solution. Kudos!
Perhaps your light bulb burns brighter than mine?
Thanks for sharing a real eyeopener,
Walt

ps
Sorry to raise a question. Not trying to take you to task, at all. Just a curiousity.
I have long believed that finishing all 6 sides will help more evenly distribute moisture moving in-&-out over time?
How come you did not apply finish to the slab bottom? :)

pss
This friend of yours sounds pretty sharp?!?
What are you hoping to build next?
:D

Rob Parsons
08-02-2015, 2:33 PM
Walt,

Thanks for the kind words.

Too bad we can't have a design contest where everyone gets a slab of wenge counter top. It would be fun to see the different results with the same starting point.

To answer your question, I did put a coat of finish on the bottom. I screwed the legs on first. I was probably being paranoid, but I wanted to leave myself the option of attaching the legs with epoxy if I thought the 3 screws needed some help. The 3 screws did just fine so no epoxy needed.

This was by far my quickest ww project ever.

Keep well

glenn bradley
08-02-2015, 3:01 PM
A perfect fit. The table and lamp look like they were made for each other.