PDA

View Full Version : Road trip - Texas to Kentucky - what sites to see?

Todd Burch
07-20-2015, 11:55 PM
I'm heading up to Kentucky for a long weekend, western side, pretty soon. Any sites up there I need to check out, or en route from Chappell Hill, Tx, through Arkansas or Tennessee? Not that it's necessarily "on the way", but I will be making a stop in Paducah to drop off a tool (ruckering a sold tool).

Good antique stores? Wineries? Big balls of string?

Thanks, Todd

Kent A Bathurst
07-21-2015, 12:11 AM
Look for people without cowboy hats or boots, and pants the proper length, is one thing to look for........ ;)

Dan Bundy
07-21-2015, 6:13 AM
Paducah is home to a quilt museum and I think there is a also a museum dedicated to river history being as it is located near the confluence of the Mississippi and Ohio rivers. There is also an Indian mound dig near Paducah, but I'm not sure if it's open to the public and I'm drawing a blank on the name of the nearest town.

Frederick Skelly
07-21-2015, 7:07 AM
I have a friend from those parts. They make a regional dish that's good to eat if you get a chance: Kentucky Burgoo. (My spelling is probably wrong.) It''s like a stew and it sure is tasty.

Jerry Thompson
07-21-2015, 8:06 AM
Paducah is home of the museum of the American Quilters Society. We went there and spent most of one afternoon and it is amazing.

Justin Ludwig
07-21-2015, 8:14 AM
If you're interested in things like "big balls of string" then you need to download my Aunt's app "Best Road Trip Ever." She travels across the US (predominately Route 66) looking for all cools things that are off the beaten path. You can plot your route and it will show you pins for places of interest and Mom and Pop diners, etc.

My only affiliation is that she's my awesome aunt.

http://bestroadtripever.com/

Von Bickley
07-21-2015, 10:13 AM
Don't know exactly where you will be.

Paducah is supposed to have a lot of antiques, so I've been told. Never been there myself.

Shaker Village at Pleasant Hill. I have been there and would go back.
http://www.kentuckytourism.com/shaker-village-of-pleasant-hill/1704/

There are a lot of well known woodworkers in Berea. If your trip takes you close to Berea, you may want to check it out.
http://www.warrenamay.com/
http://kellymehler.com/58-2/
https://www.bereacollegecrafts.com/shop/wood

Hope this will help. Have a good trip.......

Bradley Gray
07-21-2015, 1:24 PM
I visited a cypress swamp in the Land between the Lakes region. We had to put on a lot of bug spray for the 1/4 mile trail, but once on the boardwalk over the water there were no bugs.

Dan Mages
07-21-2015, 10:02 PM
If you are passing though Kentucky, I am sure there are many wonderful bourbon distilleries worth visiting. There is always Corvette attractions in Bowling Green and Mammoth Cave.

Dan

daryl moses
07-22-2015, 7:25 AM
If your travels take you through Tennessee, check, out the Smokey Mts. Cades Cove in particular.

Von Bickley
07-22-2015, 12:35 PM
If your travels take you through Tennessee, check, out the Smokey Mts. Cades Cove in particular.

As Daryl said,

You have Cades Cove, Ober Gatlinburg, The Smokey Mountain Knife Works, and The Craftsman Community.Restaurants in the Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge area would be The Apple Barn and The Old Mill.

Dan Mages
07-22-2015, 6:06 PM
Yep. Then there is this here attraction. http://www.applevalleyhillbillygardenandtoyland.com/

Todd Burch
07-22-2015, 6:42 PM
Well….. my plans have changed. No longer going to Kentucky. :rolleyes: I'm making a mad dash to Kansas and back instead.

Kentucky has a lots of sights to see - I will have to go sometime. Would love to go see the Shaker community.

Thanks everyone! Todd

Bill Clifton
07-22-2015, 10:48 PM
Just recently opened - have a brew at High Grounds Brewery in the old Coke plant. Make a reservation and have dinner at the Italian Grill on Broadway. Make a reservation and go to Pattis in Grand Rivers (25 miles). Grand Rivers is dry but you can carry in a bottle of wine, glasses and an opener. On Friday and Saturday nite there is good, peaceful entertainment at D'Frattelos - an expensive Italian restaurant. Sit in the bar - split a pizza and have a cold drink. Less formal, a hell of a lot less formal, grab a bar-b-que at Starnes across from the DQ. Good place for lunch if you want bar-b-que.

The quilt museum is spectacular - I am not sure if the wooden quilt is still on display. Ask - it is worth the trip. Approximately 20 years ago Paducah hired a Cajun to paint murals on the floodwall - drive by and look, amazing. Check out the schedule for the Carson Four rivers center - if there is something there you care to see, definitely go - one of the finest new concert halls in America and this is from B. B. King.

After looking at the Ohio River (one of the great rivers in the world) drive up Jefferson - up about 25th(?) street there is a marker in the median marking the high water mark for the 36 flood - this is just around the corner from Dry Ground. You will have forgotten why you were driving up Jefferson before you come to the marker.

Paducah is a neat little town for a weekend get-away - not so great after 30+ years.

If you are coming in Sept check out Bar-b-cue on the river - 40,000 visitors. An event.

Need anything else, let me know.

Steve Jenkins
07-23-2015, 11:24 AM
Todd, if on your mad dash back you need a place to crash you're welcome to stop by. Have a safe trip

Todd Burch
07-23-2015, 12:09 PM
Awesome, thanks Steve! We have some friends near Burkburnett, OK that we'll stay with one night. Might be near you during lunch time though… PM me your # - I seem to have lost yours.

John Stankus
07-23-2015, 12:41 PM
The quilt museum is spectacular - I am not sure if the wooden quilt is still on display. Ask - it is worth the trip. .

Wooden quilt was there when we went through early June. Quilt in a day shop is a block or so over.

We also liked the Gibson factory tour in Memphis.

John

Steve Jenkins
07-23-2015, 7:06 PM
Awesome, thanks Steve! We have some friends near Burkburnett, OK that we'll stay with one night. Might be near you during lunch time though… PM me your # - I seem to have lost yours.

It's on my signature line. 469 742-9694

Rich Riddle
07-24-2015, 9:21 PM
Live in Kentucky now and grew up in Kansas. What part of Kansas will you visit? I was going to recommend the Bourbon Trail in Kentucky. It was out of your way, but after enjoying three free shots per distiller at eight bourbon producers you likely would not have minded.

Todd Burch
07-24-2015, 10:22 PM
The thriving metropolis of Elkhart, Ks

Justin Koenen
07-24-2015, 11:36 PM
Todd
You might want to visit the huge "Grizzly" showroom in southern Missouri at Springfield. Easy to get in and out. Been there twice and picked up a machine both times. Justin in Iowa