PDA

View Full Version : Safe to engrave mineral oiled cutting board?

Kris Chinners
07-20-2015, 9:10 PM
Beginner question--is it safe to engrave a cutting board that's already had mineral oil applied to it? I engrave them before applying oil however I have been asked to engrave one that someone already uses (engraving will be on one side that will not be used for cutting).
Thank you!

Scott Challoner
07-20-2015, 9:18 PM
In my experience it's safe, but it probably won't be as dark as if you engraved it dry.

Keith Winter
07-20-2015, 10:12 PM
I forsee no issue

vic casware
07-20-2015, 10:56 PM
Well that opens up a can of worms!, I only engrave oiled boards as when they are oiled afterwards the
oil seems to bleed out from the engraving darker than the rest of the board, is that only me having that issue?

Scott Challoner
07-21-2015, 11:48 AM
Well that opens up a can of worms!, I only engrave oiled boards as when they are oiled afterwards the
oil seems to bleed out from the engraving darker than the rest of the board, is that only me having that issue?
I've done thousands of pizza peels for a local guy but he's always done the oiling after I engraved them. He's never mentioned any bleeding. I suppose if you have a really dark engraving, some of the char can mix with the oil and bleed. The peels are basswood and don't get very dark.

Kris Chinners
07-21-2015, 1:19 PM
Thank you to everyone for the help!