PDA

View Full Version : Custom Router table - miter track or combo track?

Scott Wadland
07-20-2015, 8:55 PM
I just installed a router plate in the extension on my Jet cabinet saw, and I'm trying to decide between putting in a miter track and a miter/t-track combo. Any thoughts about one or the other? I have featherboards that fit into the miter slot on my table saw, so I'm thinking that I could just use those on the router table and I therefore don't need to combo track.

Thanks!

glenn bradley
07-20-2015, 9:26 PM
I use a miter track but, it is the type with a t-slot in the bottom. I have switched to the hex-t-nuts designed for this type of track for featherboards as the friction fit ones had shifted on me a few times. If I did it again I would probably just use a combo track.

Hilton Ralphs
07-21-2015, 1:19 AM
Scott, how are you going to install the mitre slots? Surely the surface is cast iron?

Scott Wadland
07-21-2015, 1:34 PM
The extension table is MDF

glenn bradley
07-21-2015, 2:07 PM
BTW Scott, I forgot to mention. One of the best things I did was to space my router tabel miter slot the same distance from the center of the router collet as my tablesaw miter slot was from the tablesaw blade. This allows me to use jigs interchangeably between the two machines. :)

Scott Wadland
07-21-2015, 2:44 PM
BTW Scott, I forgot to mention. One of the best things I did was to space my router tabel miter slot the same distance from the center of the router collet as my tablesaw miter slot was from the tablesaw blade. This allows me to use jigs interchangeably between the two machines. :)

Good point, I'll keep that in mind.