PDA

View Full Version : Enzo Mari's Sedia 1 chair

Evan Ryan
07-20-2015, 8:31 PM
Long story short I built a Sedia 1 chair today.

There are plans for the chair online, and a video of Enzo, the chairs designer, building the chair that you can find by searching online for Enzo Mari Sedia 1 plans or instructions.

short story long:
First thing I did this morning once I got my bench set up for finishing was spill my can of shellac.
I had been away from the shop for 10 days so this start back to work totally sucked.
Enzo Mari designed this chair for a collection of DIY furniture instructions that he published a book called "autoprogettazione" in 1974. He created his DIY furniture after he was denied production of a chair or something by a manufacturer. Enzo was mad so he decided to give furniture design directly to the people by publishing plans for simple wooden furniture put together with a saw, hammer and nails. That's the story anyway.
This chair is not the kind of furniture that I'm drawn to aesthetically, but after 10 days away and spilling the shellac I just needed to build something.
I searched Enzo and the chair on the creek and got no results so I thought I would put it on here in case anyone else needs to finish something fast and cheap.

william watts
07-21-2015, 12:52 AM
A good example of " form follows function" design, and a good way to get your wood working fix. The chair does have a modernist look that some find interesting. Tty not to spill any more shellac;).