PDA

View Full Version : Updated Balboa House Pics

Mark Singer
08-18-2005, 8:12 PM
While I was making doors the framers have been busy on rough carpentry. I ordered the curved Glu-Lams a while back to have them. The radius was specified. The openings in the ceiling are all skylights and in the walls are all glass. It is a very light filled home. I am excited to build the doors and many cabinets for this home in such a great location. I will keep the photos coming as we make progress. The details and choices of materials may serve as a reference for other projects and the design of cabinets will make more sence if you can see the home it will complement.

Mark Singer
08-18-2005, 8:14 PM
here are a few more...

Jim Dunn
08-18-2005, 8:15 PM
Mark that's neat! Looks like the inside of a wooden ship. I really like! Is that a picture of a scrap pile or a pic if the pond:)?

Richard Wolf
08-18-2005, 8:15 PM
Great vaulted ceilings, makes for a nice space. What kind of leed time do they get for the glu-lams?

Richard

Joe Blankshain
08-18-2005, 8:16 PM
Mark,
That looks like a nice home for your beautiful doors. Do we get a peek of the view from the location and if so that looks alot higher than the Balboa I used to live on.

Jim Dunn
08-18-2005, 8:19 PM
What's a Balboa? I thought it was a house plans design name. Is that little hill that the house is sitting on?

Joe Blankshain
08-18-2005, 8:29 PM
Balboa is a community within Newport Beach, California and consists of a couple of islands and a peninsula. This is the HIGH rent district of Orange County. It sits just above Laguna Beach on the map.

Jim Dunn
08-18-2005, 8:32 PM
Thanks. Now all I have to do is await the invitation for the open house in Balboa, Ca.:)

Mark Singer
08-18-2005, 8:45 PM
Sorry,

This Balboa refers to the street name....It is in Laguna Beach and on Balboa Ave. We are 670 feet above sea level and looking over the Coast south toward Dana point...Ritz Carlton ...to the new Montage Resort straight out. Great views! GluLams took about 2 months...I own the home, but I will not be moving...it is a home we plan to keep since property values keep going up. Framing is about 90% complete.

Andrew Ault
08-18-2005, 11:35 PM
The curved roof and currently exposed structural elements are just beautiful. I imagine that the roof system is immensely strong with those curved lams. It reminds me, in its bare and naked glory, of the pillarless compound-curved redwood ceiling in the Corvette Diner building here in San Diego - where the structure is fully exposed (comprised of triangular elements over a huge clear expanse).

Is the corner overlooking the ocean going to be all glass? That view is just marvelous. Someone is really going to enjoy living there. If such quality architecture were prevalent, we would all live in paradise.

-Andy

Corvin Alstot
08-19-2005, 12:06 AM
Beautiful view. Should be a great house.
Do you plan to have a gyp.board ceiling with exposed glu-lams beams?

Mark Singer
08-19-2005, 12:22 AM
Corvin,

I am thinking vertical grain doug fir plywood cut into 16" panels set between beams...

Andrew,
Thanks....nature really is really the designer here and always deserves the credit.

Beautiful view. Should be a great house.
Do you plan to have a gyp.board ceiling with exposed glu-lams beams?

Cecil Arnold
08-19-2005, 12:26 AM
Beautiful work Mark. Does the steel I see in the pics allow you to hide some of the earthquake reinforcing I've noticed in other Cal. structures (in the fraiming)?

Tim Sproul
08-19-2005, 12:38 AM
Where's the hose? I don't see no stinkin' hose man. :)

Vaughn McMillan
08-19-2005, 4:26 AM
Mark, I'm gettin' a real good feeling about this house. It's going to be amazing when it's done. Thanks for sharing the process with us.

- Vaughn

Bob Marino
08-19-2005, 7:54 AM
Wow, incredible house so far and the view is equally incredible.

Bob

Per Swenson
08-19-2005, 8:25 AM
Mark,

Beautiful. Oy I would travel 3000 miles just to work
in that location. I think the daily commute would
kill me though.

Per

Jim Becker
08-19-2005, 9:10 AM
Mark, outstanding! I so often think of your current residence (and the previous one next door) with their more angular (but comfortable) feel and it makes the wonderful curves of the rooflines in this home very striking to me! Simply amazing. I'm looking forward to each installment in this story... :)

Sam Blasco
08-19-2005, 9:38 AM
The sketch of the painting to come is tantalizing. What a cliff hanger we have here. Can't wait to pay my nickle next week.
How are you planning on dealing with the interior columns?

Jim Becker
08-19-2005, 9:40 AM
What a cliff hanger we have here.

Sam...that was a SERIOUS pun... :eek:;)

Sam Blasco
08-19-2005, 9:47 AM
Sam...that was a SERIOUS pun... :eek:;)

I'm not saying whether it was intended or not, though after I wrote it I did almost hit delete... I am a SERIOUS guy, and don't often show my pun loving side... :D

Mark Singer
08-19-2005, 10:18 AM
Sam,
A cliffhanger it is!
Steel columns will remain steel...exposed and painted. Floors will be hardwood or limestone...lots of glass!

The sketch of the painting to come is tantalizing. What a cliff hanger we have here. Can't wait to pay my nickle next week.
How are you planning on dealing with the interior columns?

Jerry Clark
08-19-2005, 11:03 AM
Great design Mark!:) Love the rounded ceiling and the view. Cannot wait for next weeks issue!:D

Don Baer
08-19-2005, 11:25 AM
Mark that is one fantastic house. Can't wait to see more progress. Thanks for sharing.

Garry Smith
08-19-2005, 2:26 PM
Looks great Mark.
I hope you won't have any mud slides like the ones in San Bernadino.

Garry