PDA

View Full Version : Ham Radio

Jerry Thompson
07-20-2015, 4:56 PM
I recall that our neighbor, in my little SD town, was a Ham Radio enthusiast. I still recall his call letters, WQMZW. I wonder how much the Internet has diminished this mode of communication?

Art Mann
07-20-2015, 6:02 PM
I don't believe amateur radio and internet communications overlap or compete in any meaningful way. One would have thought that cell phone technology would cut into the amateur radio hobby but that apparently has not happened either.

Robert Delhommer Sr
07-20-2015, 6:47 PM
None that I am aware of.

Mike Henderson
07-20-2015, 6:56 PM
I haven't looked at ham radio in a while but I believe you can get a license today without having to learn Morse code. That should make it much easier to get a license. Also, I expect a lot of hams are using digital communications instead of analog.

Mike

Michael Weber
07-20-2015, 11:58 PM
WA5TAF here. Not active for many years, just lost interest like I have for several former hobbies. Licensing standards have been lowered considerably since the sixties when I first got my ticket. And I'm sure they were lower in the 60's then in earlier decades. I believe the FCC no longer administers the hobby but leaves it solely to the ARRL (Amateur Radio Relay League). A group of volunteers testing and administering themselves. That's going to work :cool:
I have to ask Jerry, what's up with the image of Hillary Clinton?

Gary Gill
07-21-2015, 5:40 AM
N9ZYE here, started in '95. Used the radios daily until 2002.