PDA

View Full Version : Is my bench top flat enough?

Dick Holt
07-20-2015, 1:47 PM
I just bought (off Craig's List) an oak butcher block table for $30. It is 60" x 36" x 1.75" and in great shape. I will be using the top to replace the existing top on my work bench. If I put a straight edge across the width, there is a gap of .020 in the center. Is this flat enough or will it cause problems?

Dick

Andrew Hughes
07-20-2015, 1:54 PM
Sounds like a good find,If the top doent have a twist its probably not a big deal.Check for twist with winding sticks or two levels.

David Ragan
07-20-2015, 2:16 PM
I have to ask, given that the eye would never pick that up by itself:

What is your interval of measurements going down the bench, i mean, does it undulate?

How do we know that this is the maximum amount of anomaly? How about humidity and temperature swings, as wood is infamous for?

glenn bradley
07-20-2015, 2:31 PM
I'd be happy with that but, would be more concerned in checking over the span of the bench. That is; a fat 64th in one spot wouldn't bother me but, if the far end were 1/4" lower than the spot I'm checking I would fix it.

I imagine the top if fine but, it really depends on how you will use it. Will it be a Schwartz-like bench that has the primary function of making boards? Will it be your assembly area as well? For most furniture building 1/64" irregularity is not going to bother me although I'd rather not have it.

As to wood movement; you bet it does ;-) Depending on your environment, the top may flex much more than that in a day. I have a reference surface bench made of MDF for squaring parts and assembly. For roughing out boards, my needs are less strict ;-)

Allan Speers
07-20-2015, 5:08 PM
I would let the top acclimate to your shop for a while, then recheck.

After that: What Glenn wrote above, exactly.

For my work, it would be just fine. More important is to check it for twist. make a pair of winding sticks, and get to it.

Nick Stokes
07-20-2015, 6:51 PM
You're top is flatter than any workbench in my shop, including the top of the workbench I just finished building. Heck, it might even be more flat than my table saw top, I wouldn't know, I don't have a way to measure a top that large to those tolerances.

Dick Holt
07-20-2015, 6:56 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. I didn't think to let it acclimate for a few days.I will let it sit for a few days and recheck and also check for twist. My workshop is in the basement with a duhumidifier and it is a constant 55% hunidity, lower in winter.

Dick

Brian Tymchak
07-21-2015, 8:03 AM
At 1.75" thick it might distort a bit when fastened to the bench base, also depending on how you attach it. I'll recommend that you install the top first, then check for distortion and adjust accordingly.

Brian Holcombe
07-21-2015, 8:20 AM
IMO, I think it's important to check for twist....which is what will drive you crazy in use. If you don't have a set of winding sticks, then make a set and use them to site the top for twist.