PDA

View Full Version : tool Rest

Guy Mueller
07-20-2015, 1:00 PM
I got the Grizzly G0766 lathe looking at buying some tool rests for bowl turning. Has anyone used the Dway tool rest what do you think about them price seems to be good compared to others? I'm open to other recommendations to. I also realize I will have to get the post size on my banjo resized.

David C. Roseman
07-20-2015, 8:28 PM
Guy, you can call Dave Schweitzer at D-Way directly on this, great guy to do business with. But according to his website he is no longer making tool rests and is referring folks to Brian Ames' Welding and Repair. Have you looked at the Robust rests, available from many vendors for $69? Only $4 more, and they have the hardened steel rod on top as an very nice feature. The "long post" models work very well on the G0766, according to a couple of TBN members who have that lathe.

Joe Meirhaeghe
07-20-2015, 8:40 PM
For a heavy duty rest with a hardened rod top check out Advanced Lathe Tools LLC. I have them in 6" 12" 14" & their really nice to use especially if you like to turn with your handles low.

David C. Roseman
07-20-2015, 9:11 PM
I meant to add that resizing the 25mm hole in the banjo to 1" is a five-minute job if you have access to a drill press and a 1" HSS twist-drill bit. Clamp the banjo firmly to the press table so you don't get chatter. If you or a buddy don't have a 1" bit, you can get a serviceable Asian-made 8-piece Silver & Deming drill bit set from HF or online for under $30. Any excuse for a new tool, you know. ;)