PDA

View Full Version : Have lost the X-axis HELP PLEASE

Terry Wade
07-20-2015, 11:58 AM
I did an engraving job over the weekend and everything went just fine with no problems. I turned the laser on this morning and I have no X axis. The Y axis is working but I have no X axis. I took a look inside but I can't see anything lose or out of place. Does anyone have any idea what may be wrong or where I should start searching? Thanks in advance.....Terry Wade

Bert Kemp
07-20-2015, 12:41 PM
First thing I'd check is the stepper motor and the belts for that axis. The all connections to the motor.

Terry Wade
07-20-2015, 5:03 PM
I checked the belts and the wiring going to the stepper motor and I can't find anything wrong there. Is there a way for me to check the stepper motor itself and what do I need to do

Walt Langhans
07-20-2015, 6:51 PM
I had this problem with my machine. It's possible that the wires between your motor and the controller have had the protective coating rubbed off by the moving of the tank tread looking thing that keeps the protected and have broke. I would start with a volt meter and check each wire from the stepper motor to the control unit first. It could be as simple of replacing a wire.

Terry Wade
07-21-2015, 4:55 PM
I have been busy checking all that I can check and I found that I have signal from the controller, I have continuity with the wires to the stepper motor. So it looks to me like I need a stepper motor. The only writing on the motor is 23HS6430-8 so I hope I can find one to match. Thanks a lot for the suggestions, it was much appreciated.......Terry Wade

Rich Harman
07-21-2015, 6:32 PM
So it looks to me like I need a stepper motor.

I would swap the wires from the controller to the drivers and see if the problem remains in the same place. If the problem moves then it is the controller.

Then, swap the wires from the steppers to the drivers. If the problem moves to the other stepper then you know it is the driver. Do all wire swapping with the power off.

Terry Wade
07-23-2015, 8:39 PM
After checking everything I could check, I'm pretty sure that the stepper motor is the culprit. I have been able to get in contact with folks in China and get an new one on the way. Hopefully it will be here next week and I can get back up and running.

Kel Kodama
07-24-2015, 12:15 AM
If you received the rotary engraving attachment with your machine (the big metal rack with 3 rollers) it has a stepper motor in it that is probably the same one as on the X/Y axis.

After checking everything I could check, I'm pretty sure that the stepper motor is the culprit. I have been able to get in contact with folks in China and get an new one on the way. Hopefully it will be here next week and I can get back up and running.

-Kel

Matt McCoy
07-24-2015, 9:14 AM
Great idea.

Walt Langhans
07-24-2015, 11:30 AM
When ordering a new stepper motor (which is what I had to do as well) make sure they send you one with the pulley on it. They press those things into place and you'll never get the old on off in one piece, let alone be able to put it on the new motor.

Rich Harman
07-24-2015, 11:34 AM
If you received the rotary engraving attachment with your machine (the big metal rack with 3 rollers) it has a stepper motor in it that is probably the same one as on the X/Y axis.

That makes sense, but don't expect it to be true. Wasn't for me. Different size machines will use different motors, I don't believe they build the rotaries to match the machines.

Terry Wade
07-27-2015, 12:20 PM
I have been in contact with Shenhui and have ordered a new stepper motor. John Wang at Shenhui told me that the motor will have a slightly different gear on it but that he will supply me with directions to make the necessary adjustments for the different gear diameter and number of teeth. I'm expecting it to show up this week and as soon as I get it installed I will post and let everybody know the results.